Should I be proud of breaking T14/T10?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
suralin
better than you

Re: Should I be proud of breaking T14/T10?

Postby suralin » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:58 am

UAX09 wrote:Human emotions can be quite perplexing much like human sexuality. Your emotions should come out naturally. The sensations you feel inside your head are called "emotions." No one knows if you should be proud of gaining admission into the T14. Only you know the answer to that question. It's not something you can look up in a book. Perhaps, your university offers a class on human emotions - like Psych 101 for example? It would be good prep for law school and for the time when your wife/husband asks you, "How do you feel honey?"

:lol:

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:11 am

If you broke into the T10, surely you got some decent scholarships from DNCG?

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:31 am

UAX09 wrote:Human emotions can be quite perplexing much like human sexuality. Your emotions should come out naturally. The sensations you feel inside your head are called "emotions." No one knows if you should be proud of gaining admission into the T14. Only you know the answer to that question. It's not something you can look up in a book. Perhaps, your university offers a class on human emotions - like Psych 101 for example? It would be good prep for law school and for the time when your wife/husband asks you, "How do you feel honey?"

*DEAD*

UtilityMonster

Postby UtilityMonster » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:36 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:I'm perplexed by OP's school tiers.

I'm not. I don't understand why TLS likes NYU so much. I just don't get it.

Because a shit ton of people on this board get into NYU, and then their attitude becomes "NYU IS GUD, STFU IF U DISAGREE"

Justin Genious

Postby Justin Genious » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:41 pm

UtilityMonster wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:

Because a shit ton of people on this board get into NYU, and then their attitude becomes "NYU IS GUD, STFU IF U DISAGREE"

It's definitely not due to 80% of students receiving an offer at EIW, right?

MrHairyLegs

Postby MrHairyLegs » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:43 pm

Haven't heard about scholarship money from any schools yet, apart from UCLA. And I haven't heard back from NYU regarding acceptance/WL or denial...

I feel TLS is grossly conditioned toward dry humping Penn and NYU, & based on research this seems unreasonable when you consider that apart from undergrad lay prestige (Penn way more than NYU) they are mere peers of MVBDN in every category (sorry Cornell and GT). (employment discrepancies can be reasoned away by the fact by self-selection.) Just babblin....

HBBJohnStamos

Postby HBBJohnStamos » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:22 pm

MrHairyLegs wrote: (employment discrepancies can be reasoned away by the fact by self-selection.) Just babblin....

lol

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:24 pm

Justin Genious wrote:
UtilityMonster wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:

If NYU wasn't based in NYC, this wouldn't be the case.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:28 pm

There probably is some truth to that ^. For example a big apparent problem with GULC kids is that they all target DC heavy. I imagine NYU kids target NY heavier than they would if the school was located somewhere else. (Or course then it would be called somewhere else U)

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:30 pm

cool welcome to another NYU trolling thread

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:26 pm

You should feel proud. Good job. You should then rationally, unemotionally consider the costs and benefits of attending.

P.S. It seems like the 0L hivemind has determined that NYU is overrated, which I would advise you to take with a large grain of salt, considering it's pretty much the opposite of the conventional wisdom on TLS ~2 years ago when I was applying (i.e., then people generally felt that CLS and NYU are peers and you shouldn't read much/anything into the ranking difference) and nothing else has changed so far as I can see.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:08 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:If NYU wasn't based in NYC, this wouldn't be the case.

Well they are in NYC and until they move the law school to North Dakota it will still be the 4th to 6th best law school in the country.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:13 pm

Tom Joad wrote:

Well they are in NYC and until they move the law school to North Dakota it will still be the 4th to 6th best law school in the country.

:lol: Thank you, yes. This is the dumbest of all arguments. Maybe CLS wouldn't be as good if it weren't in NYC. But oh yeah preftige.

you'rethemannowdawg

Postby you'rethemannowdawg » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:26 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:

:lol: Thank you, yes. This is the dumbest of all arguments. Maybe CLS wouldn't be as good if it weren't in NYC. But oh yeah preftige.

Doesn't NYU also perform pretty well in metrics besides employment,too? Pretty sure all of the rankings of faculty quality put NYU near the top. They do have Ronald Dworkin teaching there, among others.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:27 pm

If you go to law school you may never be proud again. With each accomplishment comes another goal that you will have to strive for and possibly feel bad about not reaching... grades, biglaw, law review, law review position, clerkship, making partner, etc. "Striving is the path to the dark side. Striving leads to studying, studying leads to gunning, gunning leads to suffering." Let go of your striving you must.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:31 pm

you'rethemannowdawg wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:

Doesn't NYU also perform pretty well in metrics besides employment,too?

I would tell you the answer, but nobody cares, so I don't care. Jobs rule everything around me, NALP, get the offers, hours hours billed, y'all.

you'rethemannowdawg

Postby you'rethemannowdawg » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:51 pm

Tom Joad wrote:I would tell you the answer, but nobody cares, so I don't care. Jobs rule everything around me, NALP, get the offers, hours hours billed, y'all.

Actually, I know the answer. Not sure why I phrased it as a rhetorical question. Agreed that ability to get hired is far and away the most important measure of a school, but in a discussion about overall quality of a school it's not completely irrelevant to discuss faculty quality.

Or, in other words, Ronald Dwor-clan ain't nothing to fuck with.

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:53 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:
Justin Genious wrote:
UtilityMonster wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:

If NYU wasn't based in NYC, this wouldn't be the case.

LOL

wbrother

Postby wbrother » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:40 am

dabbadon8 wrote:"Striving is the path to the dark side. Striving leads to studying, studying leads to gunning, gunning leads to suffering." Let go of your striving you must.
Episode VII?

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:55 am

Naw man, hundreds of thousands of people have gone to T14s. It's NBD. YLS is a big deal.

RhymesLikeDimes

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:06 am

No doubt that NYU is a great school, but I just don't see them in the same class as CC, even if they are #6. I see people debating NYU vs. Columbia all the time (often with NYU getting the majority of support), but almost never see anyone pick NYU over CLS without significant scholarship money. Going by LSN, it is quite a bit easier to get into, so I think a lot of that is rationalization.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:51 am

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:No doubt that NYU is a great school, but I just don't see them in the same class as CC, even if they are #6. I see people debating NYU vs. Columbia all the time (often with NYU getting the majority of support), but almost never see anyone pick NYU over CLS without significant scholarship money. Going by LSN, it is quite a bit easier to get into, so I think a lot of that is rationalization.

I didn't go to NYU but I know that biglaw employers view them as peers. Some give Columbia or NYU a slight edge over the other. There are firms that feel NYU is better.You need to get out of this mindset of ranking schools based on who chooses to attend and at what price. It isn't important.No one practicing law or hiring lawyers in NYC cares about which of these schools are "easier to get into" based on whatever analysis of LSN. No one even knows what LSN is. Not to mention, your analysis is probably flawed.

CatFacts

Postby CatFacts » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:33 pm

deputydog wrote:Try and negotiate a scholly at one of the lower ranked t14 you got into using your acceptance at one of the higher ranked ones. That or retake the LSAT and get into a better school or get schollys

Sorry to hijack the thread but I am choosing between two T-14s at sticker. Would Northwestern care at all about an acceptance to Michigan? I am feeling sheepish about how to approach negotiating as I don't exactly have any leverage with my numbers/absolute lack of scholarships and have taken the LSAT three times already.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:07 pm

Warning: unchecked white girl problems

I find myself unable to be proud because I didn't get money anywhere and all my law school illiterate and/or super rich friends (not to mention shitboomer coworkers) are like "OMG YOU GOT INTO PENN THAT IS SO GREAT" and I'm like "Actually employment sucks right now and law school costs $250,000."

Mo' acceptances, mo' student loans.

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:08 pm

NYstate wrote:
RhymesLikeDimes wrote:No doubt that NYU is a great school, but I just don't see them in the same class as CC, even if they are #6. I see people debating NYU vs. Columbia all the time (often with NYU getting the majority of support), but almost never see anyone pick NYU over CLS without significant scholarship money. Going by LSN, it is quite a bit easier to get into, so I think a lot of that is rationalization.

I didn't go to NYU but I know that biglaw employers view them as peers. Some give Columbia or NYU a slight edge over the other. There are firms that feel NYU is better.You need to get out of this mindset of ranking schools based on who chooses to attend and at what price. It isn't important.No one practicing law or hiring lawyers in NYC cares about which of these schools are "easier to get into" based on whatever analysis of LSN. No one even knows what LSN is. Not to mention, your analysis is probably flawed.

This. Admissions selectivity != employment prospects

Return to “Choosing a Law School”