The Real Tier 2

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
1984
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:48 am

The Real Tier 2

Postby 1984 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:20 am

When most of you all discuss Tier 2 law schools, are you referring to #51-#100 or to the #100+ club?

I understand that the "old" Tier 2 was considered #51-#100 but I wasn't sure if you all use the old standard or the new standard. Didn't U.S. News change things up recently?
Last edited by 1984 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13914
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: The Real Teir 2

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:25 am

US News changed things up. TLS ignored it because it was stupid and served mainly to further validate the existence of schools >100 by putting them in Tier 2 and giving them actual rankings.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: The Real Teir 2

Postby stillwater » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:26 am

LOL at the USNWR changing things up. They are in cahoots with ASU.

Tier 2 is still 51-100

1984
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:48 am

Re: The Real Teir 2

Postby 1984 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:33 am

So, it's fair to say that most law schools themselves still abide by the Tier 2=#51-#100 standard?

To clarify, when T14 schools look at transfer candidates, they still perceive schools #51-#100 as Tier 2 as opposed to Tier 1?

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13914
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: The Real Teir 2

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:40 am

1984 wrote:So, it's fair to say that most law schools themselves still abide by the Tier 2=#51-#100 standard?

To clarify, when T14 schools look at transfer candidates, they still perceive schools #51-#100 as Tier 2 as opposed to Tier 1?

I don't know that they formally write down anywhere "this student is transferring from Tier 2." But they sure as shit know that Lewis & Clark is higher-ranked, and its students generally higher-qualified, than Nova.

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: The Real Teir 2

Postby Ludo! » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:47 am

rinkrat19 wrote:TLS ignored it because it was stupid.


yup

rvadog
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:12 pm

Re: The Real Teir 2

Postby rvadog » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:59 am

1984 wrote:So, it's fair to say that most law schools themselves still abide by the Tier 2=#51-#100 standard?

To clarify, when T14 schools look at transfer candidates, they still perceive schools #51-#100 as Tier 2 as opposed to Tier 1?


Are you honestly asking if USNWR's arbitrary method of categorizing law schools caused a fundamental shift in the way Columbia's admissions committee views schools ranked 51-100?

1984
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:48 am

Re: The Real Teir 2

Postby 1984 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:04 pm

rvadog wrote:
1984 wrote:So, it's fair to say that most law schools themselves still abide by the Tier 2=#51-#100 standard?

To clarify, when T14 schools look at transfer candidates, they still perceive schools #51-#100 as Tier 2 as opposed to Tier 1?


Are you honestly asking if USNWR's arbitrary method of categorizing law schools caused a fundamental shift in the way Columbia's admissions committee views schools ranked 51-100?

I wouldn't say that. I was just trying to gauge the nature of the change and the extent to which it should matter.

User avatar
Yukos
Posts: 1774
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: The Real Teir 2

Postby Yukos » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:40 pm

1984 wrote:
rvadog wrote:
1984 wrote:So, it's fair to say that most law schools themselves still abide by the Tier 2=#51-#100 standard?

To clarify, when T14 schools look at transfer candidates, they still perceive schools #51-#100 as Tier 2 as opposed to Tier 1?


Are you honestly asking if USNWR's arbitrary method of categorizing law schools caused a fundamental shift in the way Columbia's admissions committee views schools ranked 51-100?

I wouldn't say that. I was just trying to gauge the nature of the change and the extent to which it should matter.


I doesn't matter unless USNWR also managed to change the quality of the schools in tier 2. Based on last year's admission statistics, they didn't.

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: The Real Tier 2

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:59 pm

Honestly there should only be 2 Tiers.

Tier 1 = Schools that give you a reasonable shot at getting jobs further away than 100 miles from campus (I think roughly 25 schools would qualify in this tier for me).

Tier 2 = Schools that can only get you jobs in the city they are located in, however are considered the top choice or second top choice for employers in that region (Another 50 schools or so would make this list for me).

Everyone else doesn't need a tier. They are all the same.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: The Real Tier 2

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:02 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Honestly there should only be 2 Tiers.

Tier 1 = Schools that give you a reasonable shot at getting jobs further away than 100 miles from campus (I think roughly 25 schools would qualify in this tier for me).

Tier 2 = Schools that can only get you jobs in the city they are located in, however are considered the top choice or second top choice for employers in that region (Another 50 schools or so would make this list for me).

Everyone else doesn't need a tier. They are all the same. shit

Fixed

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: The Real Tier 2

Postby stillwater » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:07 pm

how about that Florida Coast School of the Space Law

User avatar
kuttlefish
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:29 pm

Re: The Real Tier 2

Postby kuttlefish » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:13 pm

stillwater wrote:how about that Florida Coast School of the Space Law

Space = greater than 100 miles from florida = tier 1

User avatar
Justin Genious
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:01 pm

Re: The Real Tier 2

Postby Justin Genious » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:46 pm

rad lulz wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:Honestly there should only be 2 Tiers.

Tier 1 = Schools that give you a reasonable shot at getting jobs further away than 100 miles from campus (I think roughly 25 schools would qualify in this tier for me).

Tier 2 = Schools that can only get you jobs in the city they are located in, however are considered the top choice or second top choice for employers in that region (Another 50 schools or so would make this list for me).

Everyone else doesn't need a tier. They are all the same. shit

Fixed

Double fixed

DML13
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:06 pm

Re: The Real Tier 2

Postby DML13 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:04 am

Tier 1 is now 1-100. Tier 3 is 101-150, 4 is 151-200+

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: The Real Tier 2

Postby stillwater » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:05 am

DML13 wrote:Tier 1 is now 1-100. Tier 3 is 101-150, 4 is 151-200+


LOLOLOLOLOLOL

User avatar
tkim129
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:10 pm

Re: The Real Tier 2

Postby tkim129 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:15 am

BarbellDreams wrote:Honestly there should only be 2 Tiers.

Tier 1 = Schools that give you a reasonable shot at getting jobs further away than 100 miles from campus (I think roughly 25 schools would qualify in this tier for me).

Tier 2 = Schools that can only get you jobs in the city they are located in, however are considered the top choice or second top choice for employers in that region (Another 50 schools or so would make this list for me).

Everyone else doesn't need a tier. They are all the same.


This.

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: The Real Tier 2

Postby Ludo! » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:08 pm

DML13 wrote:Tier 1 is now 1-100. Tier 3 is 101-150, 4 is 151-200+


rinkrat19 wrote:TLS ignored it because it was stupid.

User avatar
manofjustice
Posts: 1323
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:01 pm

Re: The Real Teir 2

Postby manofjustice » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:59 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:TLS ignored it because it was stupid.


yup


Agreed. T2 = 51-100.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests