CCN v. Michigan Half-Ride v. Texas Full-Ride

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

CCN v. Michigan $$ v. Texas $$$

CCN (Presumed Sticker)
15%
Michigan (Half-Ride)
16%
Texas (Full-Ride)
69%

Total votes: 122

curious66

Re: CCN v. Michigan Half-Ride v. Texas Full-Ride

Postby curious66 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:39 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:
Mad Hatter wrote:Ask this again in a few month or so when you get 60k+ from CCN. Whatever you do, don't commit to anything now.

This is the credited response.

You'll get at least $60-70k from NYU, and you have no idea how Harvard is going to shake out.

Considering he wants Texas biglaw and has a ton of debt, is paying 190K plus at NYU worth it over paying roughly 60K at UT?

UT rules Texas: There is simply no better school for inside Texas. The network you will get will help more than the law degree school. I say go for the free ride, you already have 100K in debt and it is unclear that any of the other schools give you that much of an advantage for Texas.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:11 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:If you are barely 20, I think what you should do is take some time off, earn some $$, pay down that 100K a little, and apply in a few years with some WE under your belt....WE is good for both your application and for your legal employment prospects. Law school will still be here in two or three years when you are 22-23, and you would still be on the young end entering law school at that point. I have also heard from some people that appearing young can hurt you in your employment search, but I have a friend who looks young (but is not) and did fine, so I am not sure about that. Also, if you have amazing grades, the fact that you look young won't matter. It might come into play if you don't...just something to think about.

None of your current options sound too great to me considering you already owe so much...I mean, I guess UT is the best option, but you have a not insignificant risk of ending up in a crappy job from there. CCN gives you substantially improved odds of a good outcome compared to UT but then you'll be truly drowning in debt. Consider applying for any of those specialty scholarships NYU has that apply to you.

I would cross Michigan off the list unless they offer a big increase in money because their prospects aren't worth another 100K over UT's prospects, IMO. Also, what about other lower T!4 schools - if you haven't already, apply to them all because some of them should be throwing you some money. Penn and Northwestern place better than their ranking suggest although you would have to be okay with NYC as a backup, and your numbers should get you some money there.

If you are still in undergrad, will you be raising your grades this semester? If you could get that GPA up just a little more I think it could increase the scholarship $$$ you get in the T14. That is another reason to consider waiting. There is really no rush to get to law school for a 20-year-old.

I agree that getting Work/Life experience is a good thing, but c'mon man, OP probably wont make much of a dent on their 100k in student loans in 3/4 yrs with whatever 30k entry level gig they manage to bag.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:55 pm

ajclark1992 wrote:As BigZuck mentioned: If CCN offered 60k, effectively bringing the cost down to around 150k-200k for school, do y'all think that would change the endgame at all?

Gah. With $60K, you're still looking at ~$180K at CLS and NYU and ~$165K at Chicago. And you'll probably have to live like a monk in NYC for your cost of living to approximate the schools' COL budgets. That means graduating CLS or NYU with ~$290K of debt and Chicago with ~$275K of debt (including $10K of interest accrual on your UG debt). That would still scare the hell out of me.

Of course I wouldn't like the idea of finishing UT with ~$160-70K of debt either. UT is definitely the least unpleasant choice if CCN are at sticker, in my opinion. I think I still vote UT in this case, but I really don't like any of these choices. Here's hoping HLS calls your name and lays out a large grant offer.

twenty

Postby twenty » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:11 am

In this order,

T14 full ride (if you get it) > HLS > Texas > CCN > Michigan with half.

Analysis:

- T14 you're going to be paying off UG loans for a bit, but nothing 2-3 years of biglaw can't handle, and even not getting biglaw isn't too bad.
- HLS is for-sure biglaw, but you're going to be needing a lot more time in biglaw, and with attrition rates the way they are, you won't last 6-7 years.
- Texas. Eh, 100k~ in the hole out of Texas. Could be a lot worse.
- CCN. Pray to God you hit median.
- Michigan. Pray to God you hit median, and then some.

Jose Reyes

Postby Jose Reyes » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:28 am

Enjoy Texas.

ajclark1992

Postby ajclark1992 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:29 pm

As y'all expected, the calculus changed a bit.

Would $62,500 from NYU or $60,000 from Chicago move any of you away from a Texas full-ride if Texas BigLaw (with Texas ties) was the goal?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:51 pm

ajclark1992 wrote:As y'all expected, the calculus changed a bit.

Would $62,500 from NYU or $60,000 from Chicago move any of you away from a Texas full-ride if Texas BigLaw (with Texas ties) was the goal?

I would consider the offer at Chicago but maybe not the NYU. Still a stoopid amount of debt with COL, etc.

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:56 pm

Debt after grad:

Michigan = 270k
Texas = 130k

Hmmm touch choice.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:19 pm

thelawyler wrote:Debt after grad:

Michigan = 270k
Texas = 130k

Hmmm touch choice.

I have a hard time believing that only paying for COL will leave one 130K in debt at Texas.

Likewise no way is a half ride at Michigan leaving you with 270K in the hole even when considering interest.

thisiswater

Postby thisiswater » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:42 pm

BigZuck wrote:
thelawyler wrote:Debt after grad:

Michigan = 270k
Texas = 130k

Hmmm touch choice.

I have a hard time believing that only paying for COL will leave one 130K in debt at Texas.

Likewise no way is a half ride at Michigan leaving you with 270K in the hole even when considering interest.

did you read the first post? this includes substantial undergrad debt

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:51 pm

Oh yeah, my bad. I read it when he originally posted a while back but not today when he bumped it.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”