McGeorge School of Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Crocodile Duck

McGeorge School of Law

Postby Crocodile Duck » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:36 am

I want to work in Sacramento. Would being a graduate from McGeorge be of any benefit when it comes to employment?

togepi

Re: McGeorge School of Law

Postby togepi » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:41 am

Crocodile Duck wrote:I want to work in Sacramento. Would being a graduate from McGeorge be of any benefit when it comes to employment?

GPA/LSAT?

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=pacific

Please look over their employment numbers. Getting any job out of that law school is close to impossible.

Crocodile Duck

Postby Crocodile Duck » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:46 am

Well it's the best law school in Sacramento...does that even matter?

Crocodile Duck

Postby Crocodile Duck » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:47 am

3.67/ 165

togepi

Postby togepi » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:55 am

Crocodile Duck wrote:3.67/ 165

Nope, you want to go to the best school in Northern California that you can go to. Those numbers put you at full scholarship?
You would definitely be competitive and could get $$ at other schools like Davis.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:59 am

There are literally over 70 better schools, a handful in California, you can get into with your stats that will serve you better than McGeorge.

http://myLSN.info/cqvdci

jstr00az

Postby jstr00az » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:59 am

Crocodile Duck wrote:I want to work in Sacramento. Would being a graduate from McGeorge be of any benefit when it comes to employment?

No. Based on the employment statistics, McGeorge would make it difficult to find any legal job at all, and probably any decent job at all. upon graduation. Go somewhere better, or don't go at all.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:13 pm

Dude, not McGeorge. Definitely try for Davis. I live in Davis and have family in Sacramento and honestly when they ask "why not go to McGeorge?" I just laugh. Your numbers do not merit settling for this.

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:22 pm

Crocodile Duck wrote:3.67/ 165

I'm at a mid size firm in Sacramento and I know one new associate from McGeorge at a good firm and they were in the top 10% of their class. Even though they're gainfully employed, they still regret not going to Davis (they didn't apply but had the numbers to get in). They regret it because going to McGeorge means that it would be extremely difficult to get out of Sacramento in case they ever wanted to do so.

If you're positive you want to live and die in Sac (something you shouldn't be), you still want to shoot for a higher ranked school. Davis is a good regional school with much better prospects than McGeorge. UC Davis is probably still better than even USC or UCLA if you want Sacramento, but you should still apply to them just to have the options.

md22

Postby md22 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:35 pm

Crocodile Duck wrote:Well it's the best law school in Sacramento...does that even matter?

UC Davis says hello.

(Yes, I realize that UCD is like twenty minutes from Sacramento).

Short answer: no, it does not matter.

Crocodile Duck

Postby Crocodile Duck » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:52 pm

Not to defend McGeorge, but the best firms in SAC are filled with McGeorge grads...is this even important? That is one reason why I am leaning towards McGeorge, in addition to wanting to work in SAC.

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:15 pm

Crocodile Duck wrote:Not to defend McGeorge, but the best firms in SAC are filled with McGeorge grads...is this even important? That is one reason why I am leaning towards McGeorge, in addition to wanting to work in SAC.

Are they filled with recent McGeorge graduates? No. They're filled with people who graduated from McGeorge a long time ago, in a market far far away. Things have changed. On more than one occasion I've heard partners only half joke that they would have never gotten hired in today's market.

Today, the vast majority of the few McGeorge graduates that do find work at Sacramento mid to large farms are the ones in the top 10% of the class. Its a surprising statistic that over 80% of the graduates aren't in the top 10% of the class.

togepi

Postby togepi » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:12 am

I'm starting to think OP's numbers aren't what he claims them to be.

blacklawboss

Postby blacklawboss » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:21 am

togepi wrote:I'm starting to think OP's numbers aren't what he claims them to be.

^^^TCR^^^ I call troll

md22

Postby md22 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:00 am

blacklawboss wrote:
togepi wrote:I'm starting to think OP's numbers aren't what he claims them to be.

^^^TCR^^^ I call troll

Seconded. 3.67/165? An app to Davis is a no-brainer.

Crocodile Duck

Postby Crocodile Duck » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:03 am

UC Dervis? I Don't want to live in cow town. PLus, I was also considering living in Stockton.

J90

Postby J90 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:09 am

Crocodile Duck wrote:UC Dervis? I Don't want to live in cow town. PLus, I was also considering living in Stockton.

Don't condescend on it when you're considering McGeorge. The job options coming out of Davis for Sacramento work are entirely different, and you even have a shot at good money there with your numbers. Going to McGeorge would be like getting into Cal for undergrad and choosing ITT Tech... except ITT Tech would give you better job opportunities than McGeorge would.

You'd be wasting three years of your life.

Please, please don't choose McGeorge with your numbers.

Crocodile Duck

Postby Crocodile Duck » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:12 am

J90 wrote:
Crocodile Duck wrote:UC Dervis? I Don't want to live in cow town. PLus, I was also considering living in Stockton.

Don't condescend on it when you're considering McGeorge. The job options coming out of Davis for Sacramento work are entirely different, and you even have a shot at good money there with your numbers. Going to McGeorge would be like getting into Cal for undergrad and choosing ITT Tech... except ITT Tech would give you better job opportunities than McGeorge would.

Uc davis and mcgeorge are both regional schools. What diff does it make?

md22

Postby md22 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:20 am

Crocodile Duck wrote:
J90 wrote:

Lol. None at all. Go to McGeorge. /thread

Crocodile Duck

Postby Crocodile Duck » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:22 am

md22 wrote:
Crocodile Duck wrote:
J90 wrote:

Lol. None at all. Go to McGeorge. /thread

If there is no difference, then why are you all telling me to go to davis? Good school but i hate the area, wouldnt stand living there for 3 years.

eav1277

Postby eav1277 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:24 am

Have you already applied or going to next year? If you haven't with your numbers, you definitely should be getting $$$. I have a similar GPA and lower LSAT and got $$$. Be careful with their stips too.

Also, why would you live in stockton if you'd go to mcgeorge. Sac isn't great but it's def better than sacramento.

Crocodile Duck

Postby Crocodile Duck » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:25 am

eav1277 wrote:Have you already applied or going to next year? If you haven't with your numbers, you definitely should be getting $$$. I have a similar GPA and lower LSAT and got $$$. Be careful with their stips too.

Also, why would you live in stockton if you'd go to mcgeorge. Sac isn't great but it's def better than sacramento.

SAC is sacramento -_-

BerkeleyBear

Postby BerkeleyBear » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:25 am

Crocodile Duck wrote:
J90 wrote:

OP, I'm from Sacramento. Don't go to fucking McGeorge. It's near shitty Oak Park and it has terrible employment stats. UCD is the no-brainer. BTW, you want to live in stockton? Are you fucking kidding me? It's a terrible city for numerous reasons. But you should know this.. I'd take cow town if I were you.

md22

Postby md22 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:26 am

I told you to go to Davis because I enjoy cow-tipping.

eav1277

Postby eav1277 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:26 am

I meant Sac is better than stockton.

My bro goes to UOP undergrad for engineering. Everyone there hates stockton.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”