KU/UNL/Creighton Full Ride

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
patrickd139

Re: KU/UNL Full Ride

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:08 pm

Follow-up: After browsing though the thread, I'm inclined to agree 100% with the poster who said that you should choose OU Law over KU and UNL if you even think you might want to return to Oklahoma to practice after graduation. When firms (especially) say they hire from schools all over the country, they're rarely talking about KU and UNL (even more so if you're not in the absolute top of the class at those schools).

cooldude87

Postby cooldude87 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:20 pm

OU is 8k total, it's not renewable. I told them about the full ride to KU and they said if I was out of state they could give me more but since I'm instate it's probably unlikely. They did say its possible that money could free up in the summer/ I could get money for 2L/3L, but its no guarantee. Also I really don't have a great desire to practice in Oklahoma, I wouldn't mind it but I think I'd rather live somewhere more politically/socially moderate. I know Kansas/Nebraska aren't a whole lot different than Oklahoma, but they are a bit more moderate and seem to not have some of the more stupid laws we have in the good ole sooner state.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:33 pm

cooldude87 wrote:OU is 8k total, it's not renewable. I told them about the full ride to KU and they said if I was out of state they could give me more but since I'm instate it's probably unlikely. They did say its possible that money could free up in the summer/ I could get money for 2L/3L, but its no guarantee. Also I really don't have a great desire to practice in Oklahoma, I wouldn't mind it but I think I'd rather live somewhere more politically/socially moderate. I know Kansas/Nebraska aren't a whole lot different than Oklahoma, but they are a bit more moderate and seem to not have some of the more stupid laws we have in the good ole sooner state.

Dude, the culture in Kansas and Nebraska isn't much different than Oklahoma in terms of political views. Lots of Jesus billboards, trick-down-econ stuff, hands off my guns, etc. Kansas and northern Oklahoma and Nebraska all have mid-western/plains-states culture, while southern, western, and central Oklahoma is a little more cowboy, and eastern Oklahoma is more southern. As I'm from northern Oklahoma, so it is hard for me to say there is any real difference between Oklahoma and Kan/Neb.

Try my school, CU-Boulder if you want a change.

cooldude87

Postby cooldude87 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:03 pm

I agree there's not a whole lot of difference but I think there is some. Nebraska's second congressional district went for Obama in 08 and its usually a pretty competitive district, and unlike Oklahoma's 2nd district, they have real Democrats running. This year a Black Democrat lost the 2nd district 51-49, I could never imagine a Black Democrat doing that well in Oklahoma let alone being nominated for a statewide/federal office. Eastern Nebraska is more like Oklahoma but I'd say the Western part is different.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:59 pm

Are you interested in running for office one day? There are differences, surely, but the political climate will still feel similar. If you are interested in running for office I could see why you'd rather be in Nebraska though. There are, as you know, zero progressive districts in Oklahoma. Not even close.

pruufreadr

Postby pruufreadr » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:30 pm

Pay attention to state residency requirements. Right now, you are saying that if you drop under 50% of your class, you are going to drop out anyway. After one year of law school, you may or may not change your mind.

Kansas allows you to become a resident after 6 months, and Nebraska will not allow you to become a resident for tuition purposes the entire time you are attending school. So, the tuition at Nebraska may become completely unaffordable should you lose your scholarship and wish to continue. Transferring may or may not be an option at that time, but by then, most people have become rather attached to their schools.

My recommendation is to keep the option to continue school available. What if the reason you drop below 50% of your class is because you end up involved in a legal-related extracurricular or with volunteer work that you enjoy?

cooldude87

Postby cooldude87 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:26 pm

Yeah, that's something to think about. I'll visit both soon and we if I like one over the other.

star fox

Postby star fox » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:45 pm

cooldude87 wrote:OU is 8k total, it's not renewable. I told them about the full ride to KU and they said if I was out of state they could give me more but since I'm instate it's probably unlikely. They did say its possible that money could free up in the summer/ I could get money for 2L/3L, but its no guarantee. Also I really don't have a great desire to practice in Oklahoma, I wouldn't mind it but I think I'd rather live somewhere more politically/socially moderate. I know Kansas/Nebraska aren't a whole lot different than Oklahoma, but they are a bit more moderate and seem to not have some of the more stupid laws we have in the good ole sooner state.

It's a college campus. You're not going to be overwhelmed by right wing conservatism unless you go to BYU.

cooldude87

Postby cooldude87 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:29 pm

I was thinking more along the lines of after I graduate, when I won't be living on campus, like in Omaha. I know college campuses are liberal.

cooldude87

Postby cooldude87 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:23 am

I now have a full ride to Creighton as well. I assumed UNL>>>Creighton however job prospects seem to be about the same and according to the NALP directory there are 6 BigLaw firms that interview at Creighton and only 2 and UNL. I know chances of big law are 5-10% but does the fact that more biglaw firms interview at creighton mean that more firms interview there in general.

jared6180

Re: KU/UNL/Creighton Full Ride

Postby jared6180 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:43 am

If you are at all interested in Public Service I would recommend the KU JD/MPA program. KU MPA program is one of the best if not the best in the nation.

Kansas folks, especially those in Topeka, LOVE Washburn. Try convincing someone from Topeka that Washburn is not on the same level as Harvard and they might call the cops on you! There is a HIGH degree of love for Washburn if Kansas is as far as you want to reach, but to reach out into the surrounding states KU is probably a better bet as it is just more..."worldly" and "liberal."

If I stay in state it will be a tough choice between KU and Washburn for the simple fact that I know lots of alumni at Washburn, and the locals view Washburn grads as the smartest people in the world. KU, again, has that dual degree program that would be a sure way to find a job in either field.

Myself

Postby Myself » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:39 am

Last edited by Myself on Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unoriginalist

Postby Unoriginalist » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:09 pm

cooldude87 wrote:I now have a full ride to Creighton as well. I assumed UNL>>>Creighton however job prospects seem to be about the same and according to the NALP directory there are 6 BigLaw firms that interview at Creighton and only 2 and UNL. I know chances of big law are 5-10% but does the fact that more biglaw firms interview at creighton mean that more firms interview there in general.

Stips?

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:36 pm

If you're seriously considering Washburn, I feel like it cannot be overstated just how much of an abject shithole Topeka, Kansas is.

cooldude87

Postby cooldude87 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:51 pm

No, its between KU and UNL, I don't know how Washburn came into the conversation. Top 50% stip

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:00 am

cooldude87 wrote:No, its between KU and UNL, I don't know how Washburn came into the conversation. Top 50% stip

That was in response to jared6180's post.

OP: Law school is professional school, not vacation school or political circle-jerk school. Your objective should be to get the best job post-graduation. Personally, I'd still go with the law school that's located in the state where you have the most significant ties, as doing well in that school (coupled with the ties to the legal market) will maximize your chances at landing a job. Bonus points if that's the state where you want to practice.

ineptimusprime

Postby ineptimusprime » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:08 pm

KU 1L here. I'm top 20% and have a paid gig at a small KS firm (this was by choice -- I cancelled my OCIs cause I'm just not interested in biglaw) lined up for this summer. I love KU, and would highly recommend it to anyone applying to law school for many of the reasons already outlined above (Lawrence is awesome, CoA, etc). I know we had quite a few KC and Wichita firms here for OCI the last couple of weeks, but no employers from anywhere else really (I think Baird Holm from Omaha was here too).

My choice came to down to Nebraska and KU as well, so if you'd like me to compare and contrast, PM me. I think Nebraska is probably a great option too, and the better choice for you will probably be determined more by "fit" than by any objective criteria. I know "clinical opportunities" is basically a throw-away element to most people, but KU's clinical offerings blow away anything at UNL.

I'm actually from Idaho, but KU ended up being the cheapest option for me. I have found that being from out of state has not at all hurt me in terms of my job search.

Also, the residency information you received isn't entirely accurate. You can't get resident tuition at KU after 6 months (that's just a Washburn thing). You MAY be able to qualify for residency after 1-yr continuous presence in KS if you can show:
1) You intend to make KS your permanent home.
&
2) You aren't dependent financially on non-Kansas sources (i.e. your parents can't help you pay for school unless they're from Kansas).

There are certain ways to get your first year non-resident fees waived until you get actual residency (my wife was "recruited" for work in KS, so I was able to get the waiver for the first year...I'll apply for full-fledged residency in August), but they are rare.

PM me with any questions.

alexliberato

Postby alexliberato » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:31 am

patrickd139 wrote:If you're seriously considering Washburn, I feel like it cannot be overstated just how much of an abject shithole Topeka, Kansas is.

Lifelong Topeka resident considering Creighton here. Can confirm.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:51 am

alexliberato wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:If you're seriously considering Washburn, I feel like it cannot be overstated just how much of an abject shithole Topeka, Kansas is.

Westridge Mall was my favorite place as a kid

Dodocogon

Postby Dodocogon » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:39 pm

Nebby wrote:
alexliberato wrote:

Westridge Mall was my favorite place as a kid

I'm popping in for the surprise Topeka hate train - one of my favorite pastimes.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:09 pm

Topeka's that bad that you revived a 3 year old thread to tell us?

I'd actually like to know what the OP is doing these days.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”