Why is Minnesota emailing / sending me pamphlets?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bchirco

Why is Minnesota emailing / sending me pamphlets?

Postby bchirco » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:28 pm

Hey All,

I have been INCREDIBLY puzzled lately. First off, I have horrible numbers - 3.1x/15x type of numbers :(. I've come to terms of no hope at a good cycle so I'm studying and planning on retaking in June. However, Minnesota keeps sending me emails and today I just got a very nice pamphlet from them regarding "experiencing MN Law." I am a Non-URM but I am a non-traditional, which from my understanding doesn't mean much. So I was wondering, do they send these out to EVERYONE or should I take the shot and apply?

Ti Malice

Re: Why is Minnesota emailing / sending me pamphlets?

Postby Ti Malice » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:31 pm

They want to lower their acceptance rate in order to earn a higher ranking in USNWR. They're asking you and many others to apply so that they can reject you. It's common practice with law schools.

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:49 pm

^This. Same reason Columbia sent me a fee waiver for my 169, 3.17.

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:52 pm

nickb285 wrote:^This. Same reason Columbia sent me a fee waiver for my 169, 3.17.

Amen, yet I still fell for it. I figured, if the lottery at $500 million is worth the shot, why not this?

bchirco

Postby bchirco » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:52 am

Yeah, that's what I figured. I'm going to apply anyway. What can it hurt right? Isaw some people with similar number that got in off the waitlist. Although to be honest, it's a shitty practice and an expensive one at that if they are sending those pamphlets out to everyone.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:07 am

bchirco wrote:I have horrible numbers - 3.1x/15x... Minnesota keeps sending me emails and today I just got a very nice pamphlet from them regarding "experiencing MN Law." I am a Non-URM but I am a non-traditional, which from my understanding doesn't mean much... should I take the shot and apply?

Ti Malice wrote:They want to lower their acceptance rate in order to earn a higher ranking in USNWR. They're asking you and many others to apply so that they can reject you. It's common practice with law schools.

bchirco wrote:Yeah, that's what I figured. I'm going to apply anyway. What can it hurt right? Isaw some people with similar number that got in off the waitlist. Although to be honest, it's a shitty practice and an expensive one at that if they are sending those pamphlets out to everyone.

What it can hurt is your wallet being $21 lighter. You won't be admitted and you acknowledge that you won't. It isn't free to apply--it's $21 plus the application fee.

Don't feed into the game and apply at a place you have absolutely no shot just because they give you a discount on your application.

nba101790

Postby nba101790 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:25 am

What it can hurt is your wallet being $21 lighter. You won't be admitted and you acknowledge that you won't. It isn't free to apply--it's $21 plus the application fee.

Don't feed into the game and apply at a place you have absolutely no shot just because they give you a discount on your application.[/quote]

I'm not sure if I agree with that. If OP is motivated to try to go to Minnesota, writes a very compelling Personal Statement and why MN, he's not guaranteed to be rejected. His odds may be very small, but, and this is a subjective judgment, I think that small chance is worth $21, where they may not be worth $21 + ($70 or whatever the fee is).

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:48 pm

nba101790 wrote:I'm not sure if I agree with that. If OP is motivated to try to go to Minnesota, writes a very compelling Personal Statement and why MN, he's not guaranteed to be rejected. His odds may be very small, but, and this is a subjective judgment, I think that small chance is worth $21, where they may not be worth $21 + ($70 or whatever the fee is).

http://myLSN.info/wx3tyj

bchirco

Postby bchirco » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:53 pm

Someone got into Cornell with worse numbers than me?! Must have had an amazing story. If its free to apply, I'll prob just apply any way and not hope for too much.

ALgooner

Postby ALgooner » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:48 am

bchirco wrote:Someone got into Cornell with worse numbers than me?! Must have had an amazing story. If its free to apply, I'll prob just apply any way and not hope for too much.

dude, 25% chance at Yale!

bchirco

Postby bchirco » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:39 am

25%!!! I'm applying today!!!!

On a serious note, I don't have the balls to apply to Yale.

But seriously a 3.0/15x got into Cornell? Granted she was URM but does that really give that dramatic of a boost?

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:29 am

bchirco wrote:25%!!! I'm applying today!!!!

On a serious note, I don't have the balls to apply to Yale.

But seriously a 3.0/15x got into Cornell? Granted she was URM but does that really give that dramatic of a boost?

One person in a skewed sample of self-reported data points over a span of 11 years. It might well have been a Cornell admissions officer's LSN profile.

bchirco

Postby bchirco » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:40 pm

Fair enough.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:30 pm

it could be fake too; there are plenty of fake profiles on lsn

jeffyl00b

Postby jeffyl00b » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:58 pm

Got them too. Got them for Wisconsin as well. I didn't apply to Wisconsin; but did get suckered for MN since I like the area.
All I have to say is, all that talk about wanting non-traditional, possible minorities, with dozens of sad stories, isn't true or I would've been accepted first.
Seems like a lot of money to mail those things out.

21 bucks is a lot if you're paycheck to paycheck too and you use that for bills and food.

bchirco

Postby bchirco » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:04 am

jeffyl00b wrote:Got them too. Got them for Wisconsin as well. I didn't apply to Wisconsin; but did get suckered for MN since I like the area.
All I have to say is, all that talk about wanting non-traditional, possible minorities, with dozens of sad stories, isn't true or I would've been accepted first.
Seems like a lot of money to mail those things out.

21 bucks is a lot if you're paycheck to paycheck too and you use that for bills and food.

Do think they just send them out to certain individuals who meet a specific criteria such as 3.5+, 155+, anyone over 25, URM (obviously)?

Got one from Cardozo today as well. It really does seem like a lot of money to mail em out, but I wouldn't put it past them. Law School is a messed up game.

soccerfreak

Postby soccerfreak » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:07 am

bchirco wrote:But seriously a 3.0/15x got into Cornell? Granted she was URM but does that really give that dramatic of a boost?

It does. Spend some time with http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:51 am

soccerfreak wrote:
bchirco wrote:But seriously a 3.0/15x got into Cornell? Granted she was URM but does that really give that dramatic of a boost?

It does. Spend some time with http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm

Use mylsn.info instead. Lawschoolpredictor is SPS

Return to “Choosing a Law School”