Pitt for Pittsburgh? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
WanderingPondering

Bronze

Pitt for Pittsburgh?

Post by WanderingPondering » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:49 pm

Any reason to go to any other non T14 instead of Pitt w/ $$ if you want to work in the steel city?

moonman157

Silver

Re: Pitt for Pittsburgh?

Post by moonman157 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:51 pm

I don't think so

nebula666

Silver

Post by nebula666 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:44 pm

If you have a good amount of $, want to work in Pitt and don't mind working non-biglaw, it's a good choice.

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:20 pm

The problem is that Pitt gives out like no scholarship money. It's capped at like 14k/yr even if you're way above both medians (or was 2 years ago).

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:43 pm

LeDique wrote:The problem is that Pitt gives out like no scholarship money. It's capped at like 14k/yr even if you're way above both medians (or was 2 years ago).
It is still like that. some Pitt UG only got 19k/yr with an lsat of 174(i could be wrong on that). But Pitt pretty much owns the area for employment (although alot of boomers from duquesne have had favorable outcomes here). What are your other options?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:51 am

(as a current Pitt student) Go to Duquesne on a full ride for Pittsburgh cause Pitt won't give you over 14K/year barring a few exceptions.

Shmoopy

Bronze

Post by Shmoopy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:01 am

What are the differences between Pitt and Duquesne employment wise? I live in the general area and wouldn't mind sticking around, but only got 14k from Pitt (173/ 3.3) and most certainly won't be going at that cost. Haven't applied to Duquesne but I have a fee waiver.

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:19 am

You need to apply to some T14s. Do not waste your numbers on Pitt. At least apply elsewhere to get leverage for more money. You should easily get money from a higher ranked school with your numbers to use as leverage. Personally, I have hated my UG experience at the university that I could never imagine going to law school here. (I will say my thoughts are not representative of the campus as a whole, but most URM's i have spoken to have similar feelings). Here are there numbers, both are not spectacular, I think Penn state actually has better numbers.
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=duquesne
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=pitt

duquesne is techincally a TTT, so expect a full ride easily if you show genuine interest. Honestly, I would apply to a splitter friendly school like UMN, there is a good chance for a substantial scholarship from them that you could use as leverage. I don't know if Pitt "negotiates" but I think going to Pitt with your numbers would be a mistake. I hope someone can give more insight on if/how to get more money from Pitt though!

Shmoopy

Bronze

Post by Shmoopy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:49 am

Dmini7 wrote:You need to apply to some T14s. Do not waste your numbers on Pitt. At least apply elsewhere to get leverage for more money. You should easily get money from a higher ranked school with your numbers to use as leverage. Personally, I have hated my UG experience at the university that I could never imagine going to law school here. (I will say my thoughts are not representative of the campus as a whole, but most URM's i have spoken to have similar feelings). Here are there numbers, both are not spectacular, I think Penn state actually has better numbers.

duquesne is techincally a TTT, so expect a full ride easily if you show genuine interest. Honestly, I would apply to a splitter friendly school like UMN, there is a good chance for a substantial scholarship from them that you could use as leverage. I don't know if Pitt "negotiates" but I think going to Pitt with your numbers would be a mistake. I hope someone can give more insight on if/how to get more money from Pitt though!
Yeah, I applied to better schools as well. Still waiting to hear from u penn. I just applied to the in state schools with the hope that id get a stipend or something. Didn't really get a huge amount from temple either. I'm pretty debt averse but I did apply to several t14s, just looking at all my options. I have some interest in the strong regional with no debt route, but also may not go to law school at all.

Edit: does Pitt ever give full rides if you use full rides at higher ranked schools as leverage?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:01 am

Shmoopy wrote:
Dmini7 wrote:You need to apply to some T14s. Do not waste your numbers on Pitt. At least apply elsewhere to get leverage for more money. You should easily get money from a higher ranked school with your numbers to use as leverage. Personally, I have hated my UG experience at the university that I could never imagine going to law school here. (I will say my thoughts are not representative of the campus as a whole, but most URM's i have spoken to have similar feelings). Here are there numbers, both are not spectacular, I think Penn state actually has better numbers.

Yeah, I applied to better schools as well. Still waiting to hear from u penn. I just applied to the in state schools with the hope that id get a stipend or something. Didn't really get a huge amount from temple either. I'm pretty debt averse but I did apply to several t14s, just looking at all my options. I have some interest in the strong regional with no debt route, but also may not go to law school at all.

Edit: does Pitt ever give full rides if you use full rides at higher ranked schools as leverage?
No. They really won't budge on that 14k number, and that number is apparently still the same.

WanderingPondering

Bronze

Post by WanderingPondering » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:03 am

LeDique wrote:
Shmoopy wrote:

No. They really won't budge on that 14k number, and that number is apparently still the same.
Why not? That's silly.

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:08 am

WanderingPondering wrote: Why not? That's silly.
If I knew and could have convinced them otherwise, I'd possibly be at Pitt. Barbell might know more, but I know I talked to whoever was in charge of that stuff and got absolutely nowhere.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”