. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:49 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

WhiteyCakes

Silver

Re: How conservative is the University of Chicago?

Post by WhiteyCakes » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:52 am

I have a hunch this thread won't be productive

nba101790

Bronze

Post by nba101790 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:02 am

To be honest this is just a bad question. Ranking the composite "conservatism" of a large research university with many departments is tough enough; ranking that of a major US city is even harder.

Having said that, I'll try. U-Chicago is (I'm speaking anecdotally, having spent a summer studying there and the past year living in Chicago and taking a course per semester) generally liberal if you're referring to the student body. You won't see some of the same "Berkeley-esque" costumes and absurd political proselytizing, but I never had an issue nor did anyone I know with a sense of needing to conform to some majority belief point. It's simply too big of a school for those sorts of opinions; and things vary widely between UG, Law, Med, and so on. The law school is I would say more conservative than the UG student body, but again I think it's a superficial sense of conservatism (better clothes, more serious fiscal positions) brought on by the age difference.

Re the city of Chicago, I don't know where you're from, but you should be able to figure out that a city of 2.8 million people is going to have an incredible range of perspectives, and you should equally be able to find similarly minded people if that's what you care to surround yourself with.
Last edited by nba101790 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:04 am

At the University of Chicago, classes are segregated and all academic prizes are called the Eric Cantor Prize for ________. But BYU still thinks they are a bunch of hippies. Hope that helps

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:06 am

Regulus wrote:On a scale of Berkeley to BYU, how conservative is the University of Chicago?

Conservatism was one factor that I hadn't really considered while looking for the "right school" because I was more concerned with factors such as employment statistics and programs at the time, but after seeing it mentioned a lot on here I figured I'd ask.

Specifically, in what ways is it conservative (other than the fact that it was established by the American Baptist Education Society)? Is the city of Chicago conservative in general? Are there any other atheists/agnostics out there who attend the University or live in the area that could provide some details?
You are way off base with this scale. If anything, the school is conservative in the Libertarian/Law and Econ "free markets are awesome" sense. While there are certainly active religious affinity groups, The school is NOT highly religious or socially conservative.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

suralin

Diamond

Post by suralin » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:14 am

Emma. wrote:
Regulus wrote:On a scale of Berkeley to BYU, how conservative is the University of Chicago?

Conservatism was one factor that I hadn't really considered while looking for the "right school" because I was more concerned with factors such as employment statistics and programs at the time, but after seeing it mentioned a lot on here I figured I'd ask.

Specifically, in what ways is it conservative (other than the fact that it was established by the American Baptist Education Society)? Is the city of Chicago conservative in general? Are there any other atheists/agnostics out there who attend the University or live in the area that could provide some details?
You are way off base with this scale. If anything, the school is conservative in the Libertarian/Law and Econ "free markets are awesome" sense. While there are certainly active religious affinity groups, The school is NOT highly religious or socially conservative.
Agreed. Please distinguish between socially conservative and fiscally conservative. Also, there may be a correlation between non-belief and not being conservative, but not really strong enough for OP's last sentence/question. (Unless that's a completely tangential question, but still, pretty questionable to lump that in there.)

Speaking as a liberal atheist, by the way.

nebula666

Silver

Post by nebula666 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:27 am

Just avoid the Federalist Society and you will be fine

teiswei

Silver

Post by teiswei » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:27 am

Disclaimer: I don't attend Chicago, nor do I know any law grads from Chicago, but I do live/work in Chicago. Additionally, I went to NU for grad school.

Ultimately, the Chicago grads (UG/MA/MBA) that I do know are pretty socially awkward and this is kind of the general feeling of them. These people are incredibly bright and more on the intellectual side (more interested in books than bars). I would imagine this is definitely NOT true about all UC folks, just a generalization of them. As a liberal atheist, it does bother me how strongly the school supports Scalia on their FB and Twitter pages and the law school definitely has ties with him. Despite this, I really don't think you would be an outcast at the law school. You have to remember that there is an observed negative correlation between education and religious beliefs and law school is the highest rung.

As far as the area goes, the campus is beautiful and safe but outside of that bubble is very sketchy and is not an area that I would want to live or hang out in. I believe I have read that most students live in the Lincoln Park/Lakeview area and that's a safer, more interesting part of the city. Now, these areas are quite a haul from UC and driving, specifically parking, can be incredibly expensive and frustrating (Chicago city driving sucks and if there is snow, it's hell). Another option (a better one in my opinion) would be the west loop area, but that's still a 45 minute train ride but it is a shorter, easier drive.

Also, Chicago is VERY liberal in general and that shouldn't be an issue at all. It is very gay friendly and handguns are illegal in the city. No matter what type of thing you are in to, you will always find a large group all over the city to hang out with. Keep an open mind, and definitely visit the city before moving. I made the mistake of signing a lease without ever seeing the area. I lucked out in this respect, however, I would never do that again. The way this city is (you can be in a great area on one side of the street and a terrible one on the other side), you want to make sure you are comfortable with the area. Walking and public transportation are some of the best parts of living in a large metro area and you want to be able to do that.

Sorry if this is just a jumbled mess of nonsense, but I hope it helps a little. Feel free to ask specific questions and I will do my best to answer them.

JamesDean1955

Silver

Post by JamesDean1955 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:31 am

Well, you got in ED, so you're going to find out anyways...

Shouldn't you be reaching out to actual Chicago students now that you're admitted, rather than anonymous TLS posters? Just saying if I were you, I'd be visiting the school and talking to people face-to-face or reaching out to students and alumni over the phone.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

robot_socrates

New

Post by robot_socrates » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:30 am

I've lived in Chicago my whole life. Overall, it's a pretty liberal city. (Safety is another thing...)

U Chicago is very liberal, and very "idea" focused rather than being set on an ideology--for example, their divinity school (where my sister is getting a PhD), doesn't presuppose that God exists. While I don't have the impression that Chicago is an especially large atheist hub, I don't think it's a view that you'll have to be concerned about holding at UChicago.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:50 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

kay2016

Silver

Post by kay2016 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:10 pm

I also would hope you don't think all Republicans are like that... But to each his own.

HawkeyeGirl

Bronze

Post by HawkeyeGirl » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:11 pm

Regulus wrote:Thank you all for your responses thus far. I honestly hadn't even thought to interpret "conservatism" as "fiscal conservatism"; whenever I heard people on TLS (and elsewhere) say "the University of Chicago is very conservative," I always assumed they meant it in a general Republican-versus-Democrat morals sort of way.

Anyway, the main reason that I asked this question is because I had to live in the South (Alabama) for a year to oversee a project with my company, and I absolutely hated my time down there. (Most of the people were extremely nice, but I had to hear one too many conversations about how shitty of a job the Democrats were doing or how this country is going to hell because we are all becoming gay atheist communists. I almost felt like I had to hide the fact that I was an atheist Democrat as I was pretty much the only person in my office who wasn't a religious Republican that owned 3 guns. And no, I do not think the entire South is like this; this is just how it was at my place of work while I was there.)
Don't worry, we don't even let people own guns in the city. (though i think the supreme court ruled that that law was illegal...)

Edit: If you venture out of Hyde park, on the South side, you will probably see some guns, but they're not legal.... Not to open another can of worms, but I'd be more concerned about this
Last edited by HawkeyeGirl on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

teiswei

Silver

Post by teiswei » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:19 pm

HawkeyeGirl wrote:
Regulus wrote:Thank you all for your responses thus far. I honestly hadn't even thought to interpret "conservatism" as "fiscal conservatism"; whenever I heard people on TLS (and elsewhere) say "the University of Chicago is very conservative," I always assumed they meant it in a general Republican-versus-Democrat morals sort of way.

Anyway, the main reason that I asked this question is because I had to live in the South (Alabama) for a year to oversee a project with my company, and I absolutely hated my time down there. (Most of the people were extremely nice, but I had to hear one too many conversations about how shitty of a job the Democrats were doing or how this country is going to hell because we are all becoming gay atheist communists. I almost felt like I had to hide the fact that I was an atheist Democrat as I was pretty much the only person in my office who wasn't a religious Republican that owned 3 guns. And no, I do not think the entire South is like this; this is just how it was at my place of work while I was there.)
Don't worry, we don't even let people own guns in the city. (though i think the supreme court ruled that that law was illegal...)
Not Supreme Court... Yet at least. Federal appeals court.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:24 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:34 pm

There are probably more conservative students here than at other schools, but most people are liberal, and most people don't care.

Platinum

Re: How socially conservative is the University of Chicago?

Post by 2014 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:08 pm

I mean, what exactly are you looking for to indicate outwardly socially conservative people? I haven't heard anyone walking around the halls berating birth control, ranting about abortions, demanding the right to bring an arsenal to class, or scoffing at pre-marital/casual hookups.

That isn't to say that people here or at any other school don't have those beliefs, but that aren't the norm and have basically zero impact on student life.

The extent of noticeable conservatism here is that we have a disproportionate amount of faculty who believe in markets and efficiency. And even then, they are arguably balanced out by the far left faculty (o hay Stone, Harcourt, et al)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:35 pm

There's pretty much always a decent LDS contingent at UChicago, so you'll probably be alright on that front duder.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:12 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:28 pm

Regulus wrote:
2014 wrote:I mean, what exactly are you looking for to indicate outwardly socially conservative people? I haven't heard anyone walking around the halls berating birth control, ranting about abortions, demanding the right to bring an arsenal to class, or scoffing at pre-marital/casual hookups.

That isn't to say that people here or at any other school don't have those beliefs, but that aren't the norm and have basically zero impact on student life.

The extent of noticeable conservatism here is that we have a disproportionate amount of faculty who believe in markets and efficiency. And even then, they are arguably balanced out by the far left faculty (o hay Stone, Harcourt, et al)
Long Story:
As I mentioned above, this seems to be the true answer to my question. When I kept reading "Chicago is very conservative," it unfortunately wasn't preceded by the term "fiscally" or used in any sort of context, so I mistakenly assumed "socially" (which is my fault because I should have assumed fiscal conservatism due to their emphasis on economics). Based on that erroneous presupposition, I proceeded to make this thread to figure out just how socially conservative Chicago is in relation to other schools, and what makes people consider it such.

Short Story:
Never mind... This thread was a bad question based on a misinterpretation of various posts on this site. :P
The vast, vast majority of law schools are liberal. There are a handful that are known for being more conservative; George Mason, Pepperdine come to mind.

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:50 pm

Chicago admit makes thread: How easy is it to run into a Republican?

UVA admit makes thread: How easy is it to run into loose undergrads?

Difference noted :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:04 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reallysearch

Bronze

Post by reallysearch » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:13 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:Chicago admit makes thread: How easy is it to run into a Republican?

UVA admit makes thread: How easy is it to run into loose undergrads?

Difference noted :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:24 pm

The only time I've been to the U of C was to see a movie (some weird Spanish movie where Antonio Banderas makes a tranny-wife and rapes her). And their student center had a lingerie party going on. The girls were surprisingly hot, and the guys were geeky as fuck. As geeky or maybe even more than the kids in engineering classes at U of I.

So I assume not that conservative, and if you aren't a total geek you can probably clean up.

The downside: law students are uniformly geeks even if they don't know it. And most appear not to know they are geeks. It's a very off phenomenon.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:29 pm

Desert Fox wrote:The only time I've been to the U of C was to see a movie (some weird Spanish movie where Antonio Banderas makes a tranny-wife and rapes her). And their student center had a lingerie party going on. The girls were surprisingly hot, and the guys were geeky as fuck. As geeky or maybe even more than the kids in engineering classes at U of I.

So I assume not that conservative, and if you aren't a total geek you can probably clean up.

The downside: law students are uniformly geeks even if they don't know it. And most appear not to know they are geeks. It's a very off phenomenon.
Wait, the undergrads have lingerie parties at the student center?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”