I Finally Got It

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cooldude87

I Finally Got It

Postby cooldude87 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:59 pm

I wasted four years of undergrad on a useless major but since I was gonna go to law school and make a bunch of money it was ok. I'm just glad I figured it out before I enrolled in law school. There is NO way of figuring out how your gonna do in law school. There is little difference between the guy who finishes in the top 20% and the guy who finishes in the top 60%. You have one exam at the end of the semester, that's it. The thing is, unless your at a T14, if you finish in the top 60% you are fuc$ed. DO NOT pay sticker anywhere outside the T14. DO NOT pay more than 50k outside the top 25, even that is stretching it. Those of you who are taking out 100k+ loans to go to T2/3/4 schools are making a HUGE mistake. There is a 90% chance you won't get the job you need to pay off those loans. There is a 50% you wont' get a job at all. Up until a month ago, despite me knowing all these facts, I was like, it's all good man, I'll study hard, I'll be at the top, I'll get a good job. There is no way of knowing how your gonna do. Just don't do it. Seriously.

togepi

Re: I Finally Got It

Postby togepi » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:01 pm

So...what did you get?

icanbeohyes

Postby icanbeohyes » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:13 pm

cooldude87 wrote:I wasted four years of undergrad on a useless major but since I was gonna go to law school and make a bunch of money it was ok. I'm just glad I figured it out before I enrolled in law school. There is NO way of figuring out how your gonna do in law school. There is little difference between the guy who finishes in the top 20% and the guy who finishes in the top 60%. You have one exam at the end of the semester, that's it. The thing is, unless your at a T14, if you finish in the top 60% you are fuc$ed. DO NOT pay sticker anywhere outside the T14. DO NOT pay more than 50k outside the top 25, even that is stretching it. Those of you who are taking out 100k+ loans to go to T2/3/4 schools are making a HUGE mistake. There is a 90% chance you won't get the job you need to pay off those loans. There is a 50% you wont' get a job at all. Up until a month ago, despite me knowing all these facts, I was like, it's all good man, I'll study hard, I'll be at the top, I'll get a good job. There is no way of knowing how your gonna do. Just don't do it. Seriously.

If you don't mind me asking, what helped you get to this conclusion?

BmoreOrLess

Postby BmoreOrLess » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:20 pm

cooldude87 wrote:I wasted four years of undergrad on a useless major but since I was gonna go to law school and make a bunch of money it was ok. I'm just glad I figured it out before I enrolled in law school. There is NO way of figuring out how your gonna do in law school. There is little difference between the guy who finishes in the top 20% and the guy who finishes in the top 60%. You have one exam at the end of the semester, that's it. The thing is, unless your at a T14, if you finish in the top 60% you are fuc$ed. DO NOT pay sticker anywhere outside the T14. DO NOT pay more than 50k outside the top 25, even that is stretching it. Those of you who are taking out 100k+ loans to go to T2/3/4 schools are making a HUGE mistake. There is a 90% chance you won't get the job you need to pay off those loans. There is a 50% you wont' get a job at all. Up until a month ago, despite me knowing all these facts, I was like, it's all good man, I'll study hard, I'll be at the top, I'll get a good job. There is no way of knowing how your gonna do. Just don't do it. Seriously.

Cool dude.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:11 pm

...thanks?

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:23 pm

Now that you have arrived, you might start batting around the idea of Georgetown at sticker being a good idea

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:28 pm

BmoreOrLess wrote:

Cool dude.

megagnarley

Postby megagnarley » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:35 pm

patentlybored

Postby patentlybored » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:37 pm

Welcome to the tls hive mind

noobishned

Postby noobishned » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:49 pm

patentlybored wrote:Welcome to the tls hive mind

Nicely said.

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:04 pm

cool dude

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:08 pm

So what do you plan to do with your life now?

atcushman

Postby atcushman » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:09 pm

congrats you summarized hundreds of should I go threads into 1 paragraph

so where you starting this fall? b/c you are def a special snowflake

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:36 pm

atcushman wrote:

congrats you summarized hundreds of should I go threads into 1 paragraph

so where you starting this fall? b/c you are def a special snowflake

Troof. Also, what do you plan on doing?

Dog

Postby Dog » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:50 am

cooldude87 wrote:I wasted four years of undergrad on a useless major but since I was gonna go to law school and make a bunch of money it was ok. I'm just glad I figured it out before I enrolled in law school. There is NO way of figuring out how your gonna do in law school. There is little difference between the guy who finishes in the top 20% and the guy who finishes in the top 60%. You have one exam at the end of the semester, that's it. The thing is, unless your at a T14, if you finish in the top 60% you are fuc$ed. DO NOT pay sticker anywhere outside the T14 HYS. DO NOT pay more than 50k anything outside the top 25t14, even that is stretching it. Those of you who are taking out 100k+ loans to go to T2/3/4 Georgetown are making a HUGE mistake. There is a 90%99.999% chance you won't get the job you need to pay off those loans. There is a 50% you wont' get a job at all. Up until a month ago, despite me knowing all these facts, I was like, it's all good man, I'll study hard, I'll be at the top, I'll get a good job. There is no way of knowing how your gonna do. Just don't do it. Seriously.

Fixed with more typical TLS standards (not my own).

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:06 am

cooldude87 wrote:There is little difference between the guy who finishes in the top 20% and the guy who finishes in the top 60%.

Thats not true, 0L. Grades are not random. The students at the top are much better at gaming law school than students just below median. There are usually significant differences between A exams and B exams.

EvilClinton

Postby EvilClinton » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:09 am

Nova wrote:
cooldude87 wrote:There is little difference between the guy who finishes in the top 20% and the guy who finishes in the top 60%.

Thats not true, 0L. Grades are not random. The students at the top are much better at gaming law school than students just below median. There are usually a significant differences between A exams and B exams.

What is true is that no one can predict before going to law school whether they will out perform their peers.

2L Here. I disagree. I have read Top 5% exams and median exams that sounded the same and covered the same topics. I think it varies by school but at my school (a t14) the difference between the median and top 10% is about 5% hardwork and 95% luck.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:13 am

EvilClinton wrote:
Nova wrote:

Thats not true, 0L. Grades are not random. The students at the top are much better at gaming law school than students just below median. There are usually a significant differences between A exams and B exams.

What is true is that no one can predict before going to law school whether they will out perform their peers.

2L Here. I disagree. I have read Top 5% exams and median exams that sounded the same and covered the same topics. I think it varies by school but at my school (a t14) the difference between the median and top 10% is about 5% hardwork and 95% luck.

Ok, I buy that. Im sure t14 is waaaay tighter. I go to a T1 state school. At my school there seems to be a pretty big difference. Example: B torts exams may have 2000-4000 words. A torts exams may have 6000-8000 words.

EvilClinton

Postby EvilClinton » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:24 am

Nova wrote:
EvilClinton wrote:2L Here. I disagree. I have read Top 5% exams and median exams that sounded the same and covered the same topics. I think it varies by school but at my school (a t14) the difference between the median and top 10% is about 5% hardwork and 95% luck.
Ok, I buy that. Im sure t14 is waaaay tighter. I go to a T1 state school. At my school there seems to be a pretty big difference. Example: B torts exams may have 2000-4000 words. A torts exams may have 6000-8000 words.

See I really have never understood that word count thing. I think that is a persistent myth that get reverberated by the hivemind on TLS. And maybe it is true at other law schools but I don't think word count necessarily equals better grade at my school. For instance, I had a class last semester that I got a very high grade on and I only wrote around 2,500 words. There was no word limit. I know of others that wrote almost twice what I did and received much worse grades. It all depends on the professor, however I think that adding a bunch of fluff to your test just because you think you need to type a lot or you think you should information dump makes it seem like you really haven't mastered the topic.

tfer2222

Postby tfer2222 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:34 am

:roll: cant take srsly

togepi

Postby togepi » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:13 am

tfer2222 wrote:

FTFY

tfer2222

Postby tfer2222 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:58 am

togepi wrote:
tfer2222 wrote:

FTFY

Damn!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”