GW v Hastings v USD v Miami v Fordham

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
gaucho13
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:10 am

GW v Hastings v USD v Miami v Fordham

Postby gaucho13 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:29 am

So I've been admitted to George Washington, Miami, Hastings, Univ of San Diego, and Fordham. All are $15k/yr+ merit based, but money is not the main concern for me. Oh and waitlisted at Notre Dame.

I'm also waiting on USC, NYU, UCLA, and Berkley, so this is rather preliminary. However, I need to tour the above schools, as I have never been to any of their campuses.

IP law would be great, as I know C++. My other interest is constitutional law, or entertainment law if I attent USC or Miami (UM has a dual degree program). I'm also looking for a city with somewhat of a nightlife, that being somewhat important.

Thanks in advance!!

Oh. And of course. the stats. 167/3.36 (econ double major), and my ps was very good at explaining my major choices combined with great LORs contextualizing my lowish gpa. I also own my own part-time business as a mobile/club/wedding DJ.

User avatar
justonemoregame
Posts: 1160
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:51 pm

Re: GW v Hastings v USD v Miami v Fordham

Postby justonemoregame » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:53 am

whichever relieves taxpayers of the greatest impending burden

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: GW v Hastings v USD v Miami v Fordham

Postby 20141023 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:54 am

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gaucho13
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:10 am

Re: GW v Hastings v USD v Miami v Fordham

Postby gaucho13 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:51 am

justonemoregame wrote:whichever relieves taxpayers of the greatest impending burden


...because getting a mediocore job out of law school and getting ~80k give or take is a burden on taxpayers...

And also. Going to a lower law school means you graduate tomp of the class. Local law firms recruit from professors and schools locally whom they know.

Most of the forum is full of pricks and elitist asses.

ajax
Posts: 278
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:33 pm

Re: GW v Hastings v USD v Miami v Fordham

Postby ajax » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:07 am

gaucho13 wrote:
justonemoregame wrote:whichever relieves taxpayers of the greatest impending burden


...because getting a mediocore job out of law school and getting ~80k give or take is a burden on taxpayers...

And also. Going to a lower law school means you graduate tomp of the class. Local law firms recruit from professors and schools locally whom they know.

Most of the forum is full of pricks and elitist asses.


In many cases it can be a burden on taxpayers.

Cool it down, brah.

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: GW v Hastings v USD v Miami v Fordham

Postby 20141023 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:09 am

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nebula666
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:19 pm

Re: GW v Hastings v USD v Miami v Fordham

Postby nebula666 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:10 am

gaucho13 wrote:
justonemoregame wrote:whichever relieves taxpayers of the greatest impending burden


...because getting a mediocore job out of law school and getting ~80k give or take is a burden on taxpayers...

And also. Going to a lower law school means you graduate top of the class. Local law firms recruit from professors and schools locally whom they know.

Most of the forum is full of pricks and elitist asses.


No, it does not. You really think the bottom 5% at a low-T14 school would automatically be top 5% at a T/TT? If so, you are wrong.

OP, don't go to Miami without a full ride, the willingness to work in Florida and nowhere else, and knowing that you aren't going to get a job in entertainment law.

I would consider GW/Fordham but use them against each other to negotiate more money, if you don't get into a T14.

gaucho13
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:10 am

Re: GW v Hastings v USD v Miami v Fordham

Postby gaucho13 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:19 am

I apologize, that was a little mean.

[quote="kappycaft1"

EDIT: And the fact that you are more worried about nightlife than job prospects is also troubling...[/quote]

Just because I'm looking for balance in my life does not mean I am suspect. Do you do nothing but study? I dont want to end up at Notre Dame if I would be the headlining DJ every Friday.

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: GW v Hastings v USD v Miami v Fordham

Postby 20141023 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:26 am

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: GW v Hastings v USD v Miami v Fordham

Postby kwais » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:40 am

gaucho13 wrote:
justonemoregame wrote:whichever relieves taxpayers of the greatest impending burden


...because getting a mediocore job out of law school and getting ~80k give or take is a burden on taxpayers...

And also. Going to a lower law school means you graduate tomp of the class. Local law firms recruit from professors and schools locally whom they know.

Most of the forum is full of pricks and elitist asses.


While your last statement has some truth, all the statements preceding it are demonstrably false. They are merely marketing ploys by these schools. For example, I know a top UMiami student (I mean top) and he can confirm that the employment outlook for its grads, him included are downright scary. There is no 80k, there is no entertainment law, no IP.
Please do more homework before getting all fussy with strangers who are taking their time to save you a world of pain, even if they are delivering the message in a way that hurts your precious feelings.

gaucho13
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:10 am

Re: GW v Hastings v USD v Miami v Fordham

Postby gaucho13 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:46 am

kappycaft1 wrote:
gaucho13 wrote:Just because I'm looking for balance in my life does not mean I am suspect. Do you do nothing but study? I dont want to end up at Notre Dame if I would be the headlining DJ every Friday.

Yes... Study and make graphs. :lol:

I completely understand that having a life (outside of school) is important. However, you skip the entire range of the T14 to which you would be more likely to be accepted to with your numbers (Cornell, for example) and go right to #6 (NYU) just because it is in New York City. Anyway, only you can decide where you ultimately go; we are just trying to tell you that the results might not be desirable if you go to one of the schools you are considering with limited scholarships. (We are trying to help you by providing actual statistics.)


I appreciate the suggestion actually. I will fill out the app ASAP.

Thanks for being so helpful, I was rash.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: GW v Hastings v USD v Miami v Fordham

Postby dingbat » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:50 am

gaucho13 wrote: Going to a lower law school means you graduate tomp of the class. Local law firms recruit from professors and schools locally whom they know.

I wouldn't bet on it. Actually, I did :oops:

The other thing to keep in mind is the quality of the jobs.
[url=https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Aik9aY0xMn8JdHZpRzRGNmpIVnFMMTJ0bXNRS0NBd3c&gid=11]class of 2010 detailed data[url] might be a bit old, but the gist of it hasn't changed much (I'm on my phone and don't have time to dig up the same for 2011)

I'd recommend NYU>Berkeley>USC/UCLA>Fordham>GW and disregard the rest unless california is a must, in which case Berkeley might edge out NYU and Hastings (north) orDan Diego (south) are at least local

BigZuck
Posts: 10854
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: GW v Hastings v USD v Miami v Fordham

Postby BigZuck » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:02 am

First ever post, applying to schools all over the country, wants IP because he knows C++, interested in entertainment law, claims to be a DJ, says going to lower school=top of the class, money not an issue, took two posts to call out the forum as a bunch of elitist pricks...

How am I the first one to call flame?

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: GW v Hastings v USD v Miami v Fordham

Postby dingbat » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:22 am

BigZuck wrote:First ever post, applying to schools all over the country, wants IP because he knows C++, interested in entertainment law, claims to be a DJ, says going to lower school=top of the class, money not an issue, took two posts to call out the forum as a bunch of elitist pricks...

How am I the first one to call flame?

Ignorant doesn't mean flame. Also, that is the shitlaw equivalent of being a DJ

BigZuck
Posts: 10854
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: GW v Hastings v USD v Miami v Fordham

Postby BigZuck » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:27 am

dingbat wrote:
BigZuck wrote:First ever post, applying to schools all over the country, wants IP because he knows C++, interested in entertainment law, claims to be a DJ, says going to lower school=top of the class, money not an issue, took two posts to call out the forum as a bunch of elitist pricks...

How am I the first one to call flame?

Ignorant doesn't mean flame. Also, that is the shitlaw equivalent of being a DJ


There's jokey stuff in there but the main thing that tipped me off was making a first ever post, waiting for one snarky comment and one super helpful one, then calling out the whole site as elitists. He should have waited a couple beats at least but he was too over eager to get that out.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests