Full Ride at Iowa/Indiana or Full Price at Texas?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
michaelm55

Full Ride at Iowa/Indiana or Full Price at Texas?

Postby michaelm55 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:00 pm

See profile for more scholarship info. No preferred type of law. Which is a better deal?

I don't care where I live... at all.

nebula666

Re: Full Ride at Iowa/Indiana or Full Price at Texas?

Postby nebula666 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:49 pm

Are you a resident of Texas? If so, it's still a very risky investment but would be manageable if you get Biglaw.

If not, I lean towards saying Indiana. Better job prospects than Iowa and more in Biglaw, though Iowa actually travels better and places more in Chicago.

Texas at sticker for a non-resident is probably not a great investment. You'll need to do very well to get Biglaw and could end up with a job paying the exact same as from Indiana/Iowa but with >$200k debt to pay off.

Also, retake.

bluepenguin

Postby bluepenguin » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:06 pm

Definitely don't go to Iowa with a stip like that.

Also, retake. Best bet: move to TX, work in TX, retake, get UT w/ $$ or T14. Of what you have here, Indiana seems like the best option.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:11 pm

michaelm55 wrote:See profile for more scholarship info. No preferred type of law. Which is a better deal?

Unfortunately, your employer probably cares a lot about where you're from.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:16 pm

nebula666 wrote:Also, retake.

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:19 pm

cinephile wrote:
michaelm55 wrote:See profile for more scholarship info. No preferred type of law. Which is a better deal?

only for 1L summer. After that, my experience has been it really doesn't matter.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:25 pm

Breaking into Indy from IU is harder than you think it would be if you are from out of state. Indiana is very provincial.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:31 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
cinephile wrote:

only for 1L summer. After that, my experience has been it really doesn't matter.

My experience was completely the opposite.

If you're not from Indiana or Iowa, don't go. Don't go to Texas at that price.

BarrySanders

Postby BarrySanders » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:55 pm

Current IUB student here. I have a full tuition scholarship and thought a couple of points might be helpful. I can't comment on UT or Iowa, but maybe someone else can. Retaking is also a credited response. However, I took the money and am pretty happy with my decision.

1. I know many besides myself with full tuition scholarships and have never known anyone who had it revoked or even threatened to be revoked. When they say no stips, that is what they mean.

2. As previously mentioned Indiana, and secondary Midwest markets in general, are VERY provincial. The Indianapolis market in particular requires Indiana ties for the largest firms. In fact, IU-Bloomington often students face stiffer than expected opposition from IU-Indy law students (who are overwhelmingly residents of Indiana) for positions at Indianapolis firms. Louisville, Cincinnati, Columbus, Detroit, Grand Rapids, etc. are also extremely competitive and most have local schools. The same thing is even more true for Chicago. You must have ties and good grades (top 30% or so) or really good grades (top 10% probably) to crack these markets. For instance, my situation is a bit unique (3rd year of 4 in a joint, non-MBA, masters program), but I was top 15% and from Michigan and still had issues in Indianapolis with OCI (both as a 2L and 3L) and ties.

3. Due to number 2, you will really have to hustle to find a job. Career services can help with contacts and networking events, but OCI is pretty disappointing. Though the firms that come repeatedly hire IUB students, they will want ties or grades. Leaving Indiana is possible, but you will need to be networking, getting good grades, and setting yourself apart somehow.

4. If it comes down to this fact you should probably just flip a coin, but Bloomington is an absolutely wonderful place to live and the law school is in a great location. The school will probably offer to reimburse you for a visit in the spring. If you are seriously considering coming here take advantage of the opportunity.

michaelm55

Postby michaelm55 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:03 pm

I really appreciate everybody's input. I will take it all under very serious consideration... and I wish all my very helpful TLS brethren a successful cycle.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”