T3/4 Full Ride v T1/T2 75-100k

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cooldude87

T3/4 Full Ride v T1/T2 75-100k

Postby cooldude87 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:47 pm

If one simply wants a legal job, paying say 50k+, is it better to take a full ride to the local T4 then pay 60k for instate top dog public school or near 100k to for T2 oos?

I'm from Oklahoma I could go to Creighton or OKCU for free. Pay 60k at OU/KU or close to 100k at Temple/Tulane

TripTrip

Re: T3/4 Full Ride v T1/T2 75-100k

Postby TripTrip » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:11 pm

cooldude87 wrote:If one simply wants a legal job, paying say 50k+, is it better to take a full ride to the local T4 then pay 60k for instate top dog public school or near 100k to for T2 oos?

I'm from Oklahoma I could go to Creighton or OKCU for free. Pay 60k at OU/KU or close to 100k at Temple/Tulane

IMO after T1, UNSWR is less relevant. You need to do more local research on the best schools.

There was a law firm partner answering questions about BigLaw in MN (my neck of the woods) a while back. He mentioned that they dive deeper into U. St. Thomas than William Mitchell. WM was ranked T2 last year, and UST is T3/T4. The UNSWR ranking is irrelevant to those doing the hiring... they care more about their alma mater.

Thus, if I were you I would potentially take the full-ride. It depends on the local hiring.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:52 pm

Both of those schools offer a coin flip shot at a legal job, so I would go to neither.

cooldude87

Postby cooldude87 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:16 pm

Not go to the T4's or not go at all. It seems like most schools, regardless of their rank, offer no more than a 50-60% shot at getting a job as an attorney. Isn't it better to go to a school for free than pay a bunch if your getting the same chances.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:23 pm

rad lulz wrote:neither.

Princess Consuela

Postby Princess Consuela » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:33 am

cooldude87 wrote:If one simply wants a legal job, paying say 50k+, is it better to take a full ride to the local T4 then pay 60k for instate top dog public school or near 100k to for T2 oos?

I'm from Oklahoma, accepted to OU, but I didn't apply to OKCU. I'm unsure where I'm going, so I asked an attorney out of OKC who graduated from OU law a few years ago. Basically, he told me that, in the OKC area, better grades at OKCU will look better than mediocre grades at OU. So, according to him, whichever you'd make better grades out will help you out. I'd say same grades at both you should choose OU. Obviously you can't predict grades, but I hope this helps.

The reason I asked him is because I was curious if I'd be able to go to work in OK if I went out of state there. I'm stating the obvious here, but go to school in Oklahoma if you want to work there. Oklahoma jobs love Oklahoma people, especially if you've got connections there.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:31 pm

I'm from Oklahoma and went out of state for law school. I'll share my experience.

When I go back and speak to/interview with people in the legal community in Oklahoma, they are very accepting. Oklahoma has its flaws and deep down all Okies know it, but there is real pride in the state. People like the story of "I left but came back because I miss home." It plays really well in Oklahoma because it is the story (or alleged story) of so many of the professionals there. Now, if you went to some shitty school out of state then everyone is just going to think you ran away because OU rejected you. However, if you go to an out of state school like Baylor, SMU, or Houston, you will not be judged harshly. I bet even Ark or KU would be fine. However, none of this is to suggest that going out of state would help you in any way. What I'm saying is that it won't hurt you depending on the school, but you will miss out on the huge benefit of having gone to OU. Client referral is absolutely no joke, and unless you go T-14 your network is going to be around your law school. You meet people and make real friendships in law school-- this is the advantage of going to OU, and it is huge.

Also, I'm going to respectfully disagree with whoever said OKC with better grades is better than OU with mediocre grades. Surely top 10% at OKC can get you a job, but the OU network is a billion times better. One of my general rules in the law school advice racket is: go to a school that the alumni are proud of. Usually T1, but many T2s including OU as well. These alumni networks are solid and way, way more helpful than the bitter networks you see from TTT/TTTT schools.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”