Northeastern v. Georgia State

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Northeastern or GA State?

Northeastern
23%
Georgia State
77%

Total votes: 31

chelle26

Re: Northeastern v. Georgia State

Postby chelle26 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:52 pm

uvabro wrote:as long as our taxes don't have to pay for the failed loan repayment, follow your heart.

Well yes, I'm not taking out any loans. But also, this is intentionally unhelpful. -__-

BmoreOrLess

Postby BmoreOrLess » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:32 pm

If you can hit 165, you'll wind up with some serious cash from Alabama

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/dahaob

Don't be stupid with that GPA. Take a year off, find a job that you can use your GPA to your advantage (Financial services operations comes to mind, no one ever gives two shits about your major), study your ass off, crush the LSAT, and enjoy a real law school.

Raymond112909

Postby Raymond112909 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:21 pm

People on tls are so pessimistic....it's sickening!

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:25 pm

Raymond112909 wrote:People on tls are so pessimistic....it's sickening!

Lol. You're right. We should definitely encourage people to borrow money they can't pay back for meaningless degrees.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:10 pm

People on TLS are realistic about law school and post-law school job prospects. It's ironic that your very first post on TLS is in itself pessimistic.

Raymond112909

Postby Raymond112909 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:18 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:

People on TLS are realistic about law school and post-law school job prospects. It's ironic that your very first post on TLS is in itself pessimistic.

Lol yep you just lawyered me!! Congrats hope you get into HYS otherwise, your life will be in ruins and you will have 0 chance at any meaningful legal employment right??

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:39 pm

Raymond112909 wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:

Lol yep you just lawyered me!! Congrats hope you get into HYS otherwise, your life will be in ruins and you will have 0 chance at any meaningful legal employment right??

LOL

nmcdgt

Postby nmcdgt » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:54 pm

BruceWayne wrote:Sorry to be a jackass but regardless of what you choose, don't go to Ga State because of the "booming" job market. The only thing "booming" in the Atlanta job market is the sound of all the 2L resumes hitting the floor because they don't meet the firms cut off.

Yes. Considering how many Emory and UGA students aren't getting jobs, if you aren't at the tip top of GSU you're not in good shape. There is absolutely nothing booming about a market where the biggest firm in town (K&S) takes 12 SA's. That being said, I will say that GSU is a great bargain, depending on your goals.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:48 am

If we assume that GPA has some relation to intelligence, there's no way you can't get better than a 165. You have a 3.92! Don't waste it. Sure you might not get more money at GSU, but with a 168 you can get scholarships to Vandy, Emory, UT, possibly even Duke -- schools that will give you a much better chance to get whatever kind of legal job you want (except international law).

I feel you on the barista thing. I had to wait an extra year and it's been a complete waste. I work in a fast food restaurant and I swing between a) not getting enough hours to survive and b) getting hours and hating the work. But because I waited I'll be going to a HYS next year. It's worth it, trust me.

erin0715@me.com

Postby erin0715@me.com » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:57 pm

chelle26 wrote:As a side note, I was also accepted into UGA. It is much higher ranked than my other options but I'd already ruled it out because 1. it's employment statistics didn't seem any better than ga state 2. it has higher tuition than ga state and 3. it's in Athens, and I want to live in a big city. BUT if anyone knows something I don't and thinks it's a worthy option, please let me know.

Please withdraw from UGA if you are sure!

gregfootball2001

Postby gregfootball2001 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:33 pm

chelle26 wrote:As a side note, I was also accepted into UGA. It is much higher ranked than my other options but I'd already ruled it out because 1. it's employment statistics didn't seem any better than ga state 2. it has higher tuition than ga state and 3. it's in Athens, and I want to live in a big city. BUT if anyone knows something I don't and thinks it's a worthy option, please let me know.

Full disclosure, I go to UGA. But I don't think the two schools are particularly comparable employment wise.

Law firm size...GSU....UGA
500+..............5.4%....6.2%
251-500:........0.5%....0.9%
101-250:........2.2%....1.8%
51-100:..........0.5%....2.6%
26-50:............0.5%....3.5%
11-25:............4.3%....8.8%
Fed clerk:........2.7%....7.5%
State clerk:......2.2%....5.3%
Total:.............18.3%...36.6%

Kind of a large difference.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... =employers

Higher tuition - what is the difference for in-state, $5k/y? Less? This doesn't take into account cost of living, which is lower in Athens than Atlanta. The difference becomes even smaller.

Big city - so get a job there every summer, go visit on the weekends. You're gonna be studying the whole time anyway.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:26 pm

Anyone who knows anything about the GA legal market knows that you'd be an idiot to choose GaState over UGA. UGA is almost to Georgia what UT is to Texas. I'm not saying it's a guarantee of a big firm job in Atlanta. But for people who don't get into a top 14 (with MONEY) or Vandy (with MONEY) it's the best choice if you want to work in Georgia. It's really no different from Emory in Georgia--in some ways better.

chelle26

Postby chelle26 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:21 pm

gregfootball2001 wrote:Full disclosure, I go to UGA. But I don't think the two schools are particularly comparable employment wise.

What about the unemployment comparison? It's 16.3% for UGA and 10.8% for GSU (according to LST). Is that not something I need to be worried about?

froglee

Postby froglee » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:34 am

Both schools are trash schools. If you want to do "international law"whatever that means, you better go to HYS.

RAWR

Postby RAWR » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:01 pm

froglee wrote:Both schools are trash schools. If you want to do "international law"whatever that means, you better go to HYS.

You literally might be the rudest person on TLS, which is really almost an accomplishment. You bash on every school except Pepperdine and Cardozo, which in contrast you speak so highly of I can't help but think you're being sarcastic. What makes you think you know everything? Honestly.

There are plenty of people who help others see the facts regarding employment statistics of schools when they're not favorable, but someone you manage to be the rudest of everyone, and the biggest snob on the internet.

TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL TROL

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:42 am

RAWR wrote:
froglee wrote:Both schools are trash schools. If you want to do "international law"whatever that means, you better go to HYS.

You literally might be the rudest person on TLS, which is really almost an accomplishment. You bash on every school except Pepperdine and Cardozo, which in contrast you speak so highly of I can't help but think you're being sarcastic. What makes you think you know everything? Honestly.

There are plenty of people who help others see the facts regarding employment statistics of schools when they're not favorable, but someone you manage to be the rudest of everyone, and the biggest snob on the internet.

He may be a troll, but in this instance he is correct.

OP. Look into the lsat forum here for some success stories and help into improving your score. These options are not good and with your gpa you can snag t14 with serious dough. Look, TLS is often harsh, but that's because the job market has jaded us. We're not elitist... you'll find advice suggesting people to attend ttt if they place well in their market, it's just that good outcomes that people desire are normally reserved for the t13 (lol georgetttown). Look into it... if you put the work in you will not regret retaking.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:53 am

RAWR wrote:

Stop spamming this in every thread.

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:45 am

If your parents are paying for it, go to Georgia. To have any shot of working abroad, you need to work for a big law firm and Georgia gives you the best chance to do that out of your options.

I am also on the "I think you should retake" train. Not retaking is the #1 regret of law school students and with your 3.9, you can move up to a really good law school. The LSAT is learnable and there's a chance you didn't use the right study materials. People who are not prepared, like me the first time I took it (only used Princeton Review and 2 PrepTest Books), tend to think that they can't improve (I wasn't going to retake a 169 until I read TLS) when the right study materials can really help. For example, I've increased by average score 5 points after reading the bibles and using some of the RC methods in TLS's LSAT section. You never know until you try. And 2 years out of undergrad before law school isn't that much.

cm2015

Postby cm2015 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:46 pm

chelle26 wrote:
gregfootball2001 wrote:Full disclosure, I go to UGA. But I don't think the two schools are particularly comparable employment wise.

What about the unemployment comparison? It's 16.3% for UGA and 10.8% for GSU (according to LST). Is that not something I need to be worried about?

first of all, gregfootball just did you a huge favor and listed the employment outcomes that are generally considered "good" for both schools.

second, where are you getting that unemployment number from?

let's just add up those who are unemployed seeking plus not seeking as well as unknown (seems safe to assume they're unemployed...

I got 12% at both schools.

Toss in those pursuing a graduate degree full time and you have 13% at UGA and 12.5% at GSU. Add those with a deferred start date (meaning they have a job that starts after the 9 mos. out window) and it finally ups UGA to 15.7%, GSU has none leaving it still at 12.5%.

This is all still ignoring the fact that 21% of "employed" GSU students are in firms that are 2-10 atty's vs. 11% at UGA. As has been discussed on other threads, many of these are recent grads who get together and hang a shingle, certainly not all though- I will concede that.

Also of note, check the bar passage req'd stats for those who are employed. UGA 86.5%, GSU 79.8%, just because they're employed FT does not mean they're lawyers.

I suppose there is an argument that can be made for GSU over UGA if your main consideration, albeit a questionable one, is being in Atlanta during school (not talking about post-grad employment, GSU is at best an equal to UGA for this).

Other than that, going to Northeastern seems like a horrible idea. good luck.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”