Student popularity rankings: what's wrong with Chicago?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
EdgarWinter
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:47 pm

Re: Student popularity rankings: what's wrong with Chicago?

Postby EdgarWinter » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:54 am

Borg wrote:*Chicago is insecure*

*Gets on TLS to tell everybody how bad Chicago is*


lol don't judge a school entirely on the basis of ASW.

User avatar
Borg
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:08 pm

Re: Student popularity rankings: what's wrong with Chicago?

Postby Borg » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:25 am

EdgarWinter wrote:
Borg wrote:*Chicago is insecure*

*Gets on TLS to tell everybody how bad Chicago is*


lol don't judge a school entirely on the basis of ASW.


OP asked for opinions on why Chicago is unpopular. I gave the reasons I could think of. Keep in mind I just might be a student there...

RodneyRuxin
Posts: 455
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: Student popularity rankings: what's wrong with Chicago?

Postby RodneyRuxin » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:39 am

Reputation of conservatism, teh rigor, freakishly small class size, incredibly strict grading curve, fact that there's grades rather than pass/high pass, Hyde park, graded LRW, required #s can be close to harvard, UChi doesn't solicit apps from people without a chance of getting in (coupled with little lay prestige --people want a shot to tell their friends they went to harvard).

User avatar
Borg
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:08 pm

Re: Student popularity rankings: what's wrong with Chicago?

Postby Borg » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:56 am

RodneyRuxin wrote:Reputation of conservatism, teh rigor, freakishly small class size, incredibly strict grading curve, fact that there's grades rather than pass/high pass, Hyde park, graded LRW, required #s can be close to harvard, UChi doesn't solicit apps from people without a chance of getting in (coupled with little lay prestige --people want a shot to tell their friends they went to harvard).


See? This is exactly what I'm talking about. Chicago likes to perpetuate this myth that people are choosing between Chicago and Harvard, when it's obvious from even a brief glance at LSN that Chicago takes people with much worse stats than Harvard does. The only people who actually choose between the two are ones who got full rides to Chicago and nothing at Harvard. All of Chicago's actual peers also have grades rather than P/F systems, so admits who are seriously considering it wouldn't expect anything else. This is why it seems like an insecure place.

EdgarWinter
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:47 pm

Re: Student popularity rankings: what's wrong with Chicago?

Postby EdgarWinter » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:57 pm

His post was about why people don't go here. Nothing he said refers to people who do. Work on RC.

Borg if you go here you should say so. But obvs you don't since you don't know what you're talking about.

User avatar
Blessedassurance
Posts: 2081
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: Student popularity rankings: what's wrong with Chicago?

Postby Blessedassurance » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:05 pm

IBobligatory180xoxohthannihilationofchicago

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Student popularity rankings: what's wrong with Chicago?

Postby Tom Joad » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:42 pm

You also have to think that Chicago's reputation as the go to school for becoming a law prof (along with Yale) has something to do with it. Most people are interested in biglaw and associate biglaw with Harvard and Stanford and academia with Yale and Chicago.

User avatar
Blessedassurance
Posts: 2081
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: Student popularity rankings: what's wrong with Chicago?

Postby Blessedassurance » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:06 pm

etc
Last edited by Blessedassurance on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Student popularity rankings: what's wrong with Chicago?

Postby 20141023 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:23 pm

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ling520
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:53 am

Re: Student popularity rankings: what's wrong with Chicago?

Postby Ling520 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:15 am

Tom Joad wrote:You also have to think that Chicago's reputation as the go to school for becoming a law prof (along with Yale) has something to do with it. Most people are interested in biglaw and associate biglaw with Harvard and Stanford and academia with Yale and Chicago.


Maybe, but even by Leiter's rankings (which heavily favor his institution) Chicago's academic field placement is below both Harvard and Stanford.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carlos_danger, chargers21 and 3 guests