W&L: DC placement?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JayJones78

W&L: DC placement?

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:50 pm

more and more I realize that I want to work in DC post law school. I am still unsure exactly in what field but I would like to be there.
So far I have been accepted to W&L and American, with many many apps still pening (if you really care you can check out my LSN in my profile). Since I am not heavily considering AU (for many TLS related reasons) I wanted to get some opinions on DC job placements coming out of W&L. In the event that GULC (slim to non existing chance of acceptence for me) and GW (far reach) do not happen, what should I feel about accepting an offer from W&L if my ultimate goal is to be in DC?

any help would be great.
thanks!

hephaestus

Re: W&L: DC placement?

Postby hephaestus » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:56 pm

Unfortunately, getting DC is extremely difficult, even for top schools. I don't think W&L will get you there. However, probably still a better choice than American.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:58 pm

ImNoScar wrote:Unfortunately, getting DC is extremely difficult, even for top schools. I don't think W&L will get you there. However, probably still a better choice than American.

Agreed re AU...

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:00 pm

Honestly, going to any law school other than HYS while planning to work in DC is a highly questionable move. It's an absolutely killer market. If you really want DC, don't go to law school--move there and get a job.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:01 pm

Or retake, get a 171, and go to GULC.

(As long as you're aware that even GULC doesn't place well in DC.)

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:05 pm

Thanks for the great advice. Defenitely things to think about and consider.
Much appriciated, as always.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:20 pm

If being in DC is very important to you, law might not be the field to enter.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:52 pm

IAFG wrote:If being in DC is very important to you, law might not be the field to enter.

TIC. And yea. The very title of this thread and the first sentence of OP prompts a little reality check. Even Harvard kids "want DC" and don't get it.

Jobs just aren't there now-a-days.

Also, check law school transparency. They have some regional breakdowns.

Check a Brian Leiter study on the most "national" law schools. That'll help too.

None of these sources will paint a good picture.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:58 pm

manofjustice wrote:
IAFG wrote:If being in DC is very important to you, law might not be the field to enter.

TIC. And yea. The very title of this thread and the first sentence of OP prompts a little reality check. Even Harvard kids "want DC" and don't get it.

Check a Brian Leiter study on the most "national" law schools. That'll help too.

None of these sources will paint a happy picture.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:59 pm

manofjustice wrote:

Thank you for this.
I never said I am DC or bust. I am not. I am interested in working in DC. It doesn't mean that if I won't get DC ill fall into massive depression or kill any idea to go to law school. I was asking if W&L places well (or at all) for that matter in DC. I got the answer that it it mostly (or at all) does not. And that is okay. Ultimately I will attend a law school that I will feel good about graduating from and that I believe will give me a job (that is if I finish in a good place within my class). Overall, I got and accepted the notion that the chances or getting DC from W&L are slim to non existing. And I accept that. It was still valuable information IMHO.

noobishned

Postby noobishned » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:11 am

FWIW, a friend of mine went to W&L and got D.C. biglaw. I don't know the firm, but I do know that he makes over 100k.

So my guess is that W&L does place in D.C., but you would probably need to be in the very top of your class.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:14 am

JayJones78 wrote:
manofjustice wrote:

Thank you for this.
I never said I am DC or bust. I am not. I am interested in working in DC. It doesn't mean that if I won't get DC ill fall into massive depression or kill any idea to go to law school. I was asking if W&L places well (or at all) for that matter in DC. I got the answer that it it mostly (or at all) does not. And that is okay. Ultimately I will attend a law school that I will feel good about graduating from and that I believe will give me a job (that is if I finish in a good place within my class). Overall, I got and accepted the notion that the chances or getting DC from W&L are slim to non existing. And I accept that. It was still valuable information IMHO.

Why on earth would you go if you can only get a job from a good place within your class? You do realize everyone thinks they will and most people are wrong, right?

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:26 am

IAFG wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
manofjustice wrote:

Thank you for this.

Why on earth would you go if you can only get a job from a good place within your class? You do realize everyone thinks they will and most people are wrong, right?

I really don't think you got what I mean, and regardless it doesn't has anything to do with the topic of the post. FWIW I will attend a school I feel is a good fit for me and that I believe will give me a good chance for a legal career. I know who I am and what I bring with me to anywhere I go. Thanks for your input about the DC placing of W&L as it helped me put some things in perspective.

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:33 am

Employment opportunities abound coming out of Washington & Lee if you come from old Southern Aristocracy.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:44 am

This is mostly unrelated, but we've actually had several people go to DC from ND in the past two years (there may be close to 10 in the 2L class). Considering we don't have that many people shooting for DC, the numbers are not that bad. Granted, all of these people are on LR or close to it. You would need a similar type performance, if not better, from W&L.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:48 am

ndirish2010 wrote:This is mostly unrelated, but we've actually had several people go to DC from ND in the past two years (there may be close to 10 in the 2L class). Considering we don't have that many people shooting for DC, the numbers are not that bad. Granted, all of these people are on LR or close to it. You would need a similar type performance, if not better, from W&L.

Thanks for the info. Funny enough, my ND decision was mailed today. :wink:

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:00 am

JayJones78 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:This is mostly unrelated, but we've actually had several people go to DC from ND in the past two years (there may be close to 10 in the 2L class). Considering we don't have that many people shooting for DC, the numbers are not that bad. Granted, all of these people are on LR or close to it. You would need a similar type performance, if not better, from W&L.

What kind of offers are you looking at? Feel free to PM me.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:10 am

ndirish2010 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:

What kind of offers are you looking at? Feel free to PM me.

First looking for an acceptance. I'll take from there :D

Return to “Choosing a Law School”