Best Texas School for somebody who can't get into UT-Austin

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Rst902

Best Texas School for somebody who can't get into UT-Austin

Postby Rst902 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:19 pm

UT-Austin is most likely ruled out to UG gpa.

Basically out of all the remaining top schools, which is the best one out of Baylor, SMU, U of H, and Texas Tech? In terms of quality of education, value, and prestige For somebody who wants to practice in Texas in hopes of getting a BigLaw job. Have contacts in Houston and Dallas, in the sense of knowing many lawyers in both cities.
Last edited by Rst902 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tfer2222

Re: Best Texas School for somebody who can't get into UT-Austin

Postby tfer2222 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:33 pm

smu if you want dallas, UH if you want houston. don't go to baylor.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:21 pm

tfer2222 wrote:smu if you want dallas, UH if you want houston. don't go to baylor.

This. Exactly this.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:55 pm

Retake, hit above 170 and go to a splitter-friendly T10.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:59 pm

f0bolous wrote:Retake, hit above 170 and go to a splitter-friendly T10.

I've been curious about this as well. Assuming UT is out of the running, how high in the rankings do you have to go to find a school that objectively places better *in Dallas* than SMU? There's not a whole lot of data out there, because many of the grads from the T10 obviously self-select away from DFW.

busted

Postby busted » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:15 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:

I've been curious about this as well. Assuming UT is out of the running, how high in the rankings do you have to go to find a school that objectively places better *in Dallas* than SMU? There's not a whole lot of data out there, because many of the grads from the T10 obviously self-select away from DFW.

There are a lot of UT Law alums in the DFW area. They are probably SMU grads' biggest competition for jobs.

I don't see a lot of other well-ranked schools pumping grads into DFW.

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:26 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:

With Dallas ties? For Biglaw? I think the answer would probably be any school above UT > SMU. Granted, there aren't a ton of Biglaw jobs in Dallas, so if you prefer any job in Dallas to a Biglaw job in NYC, then SMU is probably better than Michigan.

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:26 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:

With Dallas ties? For Biglaw? I think the answer would probably be any school above UT > SMU. Granted, there aren't a ton of Biglaw jobs in Dallas, so if you prefer any job in Dallas to a Biglaw job in NYC, then SMU is probably better than Michigan.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:42 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:

Yes, strong Dallas/Texas ties - not interested in any other markets. Biglaw isn't a necessity. Realistically, the highest-ranked school I have a shot at would be UVA, although I'd rather go to school in Texas. I've heard the Dallas market is somewhat insular, and I haven't seen convincing evidence that UVA places better in the DFW market than SMU. But like I said earlier, I don't know how many UVA grads are even trying for DFW in the first place.

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:46 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
Elston Gunn wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:

Yes, strong Dallas/Texas ties - not interested in any other markets. Biglaw isn't a necessity. Realistically, the highest-ranked school I have a shot at would be UVA, although I'd rather go to school in Texas. I've heard the Dallas market is somewhat insular, and I haven't seen convincing evidence that UVA places better in the DFW market than SMU. But like I said earlier, I don't know how many UVA grads are even trying for DFW in the first place.

I don't know Texas all that well, but a couple things: 1) Would you be okay working in Houston rather than Dallas? 2) What's the money difference between SMU and UVA?

Generally, it sounds like SMU with money might be a better fit. If you go to a T14 at sticker, you better be willing to work in NYC.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:53 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:
I don't know Texas all that well, but a couple things: 1) Would you be okay working in Houston rather than Dallas? 2) What's the money difference between SMU and UVA?

Generally, it sounds like SMU with money might be a better fit. If you go to a T14 at sticker, you better be willing to work in NYC.

Houston would NOT be preferable. I was born there, but have no desire to go back. The GI Bill will cover 100% of tuition/fees at UVA, but assuming I could get a Yellow Ribbon slot at SMU, 100% of tuition/fees would be covered there as well. That's why I'm not too concerned about getting biglaw. Realistically, I'm just aiming for something in IP law making over 100k. I don't even need that much to live on - it's just that below that number, I have to think seriously about whether law school would be worth it, since there's a chance I could retire from the Navy directly into a job making that or close to it.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:29 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
Elston Gunn wrote:

Houston would NOT be preferable. I was born there, but have no desire to go back. The GI Bill will cover 100% of tuition/fees at UVA, but assuming I could get a Yellow Ribbon slot at SMU, 100% of tuition/fees would be covered there as well. That's why I'm not too concerned about getting biglaw. Realistically, I'm just aiming for something in IP law making over 100k. I don't even need that much to live on - it's just that below that number, I have to think seriously about whether law school would be worth it, since there's a chance I could retire from the Navy directly into a job making that or close to it.

Go to UVA if you can get it for free. 1) "Something in IP law making over 100k" is big law; 2) don't focus on absolute numbers in a market, you should be concerned about (a) whether a firm hires from a school and (b) how deep in the class they're willing to hire; 3) most of the major firms in Dallas hire from UVA (and all Dallas firms will hire from SMU), but all will go much deeper into UVA's class than SMU's.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:37 pm

busted wrote:
There are a lot of UT Law alums in the DFW area. They are probably SMU grads' biggest competition for jobs.

I don't see a lot of other well-ranked schools pumping grads into DFW.

A few of the T14 have "X School to Dallas" programs now. They are mentioned in the Employment forum. I think Duke does, and maybe UVA? I didn't pay a lot of attention to them. I've been noticing more of the Dallas / Texas firms going outside of Dallas to recruit.

Other than that, quite a few Vanderbilt grads running around.

Elston Gunn wrote:Granted, there aren't a ton of Biglaw jobs in Dallas,

There are quite a few. Not like NYC or D.C., but still quite a few.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:39 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:Yes, strong Dallas/Texas ties - not interested in any other markets. Biglaw isn't a necessity. Realistically, the highest-ranked school I have a shot at would be UVA, although I'd rather go to school in Texas. I've heard the Dallas market is somewhat insular, and I haven't seen convincing evidence that UVA places better in the DFW market than SMU. But like I said earlier, I don't know how many UVA grads are even trying for DFW in the first place.

Dallas ties, or Houston ties? They aren't the same thing.

And if you have Dallas ties and want to work in Dallas, any top school will be better than SMU.

SMU2013

Postby SMU2013 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:43 pm

kalvano wrote:if you have Dallas ties and want to work in Dallas, any top school will be better than SMU

This. Though, if you want to work in Dallas, are not absolutely shooting for biglaw, and get $$$ money from SMU, then SMU is a good choice.

My advice: ED Texas Wesleyan and profit. :wink:

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:47 pm

kalvano wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:Yes, strong Dallas/Texas ties - not interested in any other markets. Biglaw isn't a necessity. Realistically, the highest-ranked school I have a shot at would be UVA, although I'd rather go to school in Texas. I've heard the Dallas market is somewhat insular, and I haven't seen convincing evidence that UVA places better in the DFW market than SMU. But like I said earlier, I don't know how many UVA grads are even trying for DFW in the first place.

And if you have Dallas ties and want to work in Dallas, any top school will be better than SMU.

Well, I realize that "ties" is a nebulous term, but I was born in Houston, lived in Midland for a while, moved to DFW for the last five years before graduating high school, did my undergrad in DFW, was married there, and joined the Navy from there. In the 20 years since, I've gone back twice a year to see family. My parents still live there, along with my wife's family, and I'll be buying a house there as soon as I retire from the Navy.

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:48 pm

kalvano wrote:

It depends what you mean. There aren't nearly enough to go to a T14 at sticker if you only want Dallas. I agree there certainly are enough if you're going for only COL though.

I agree also that we now know you can go to UVA for free that it's the obvious choice.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:51 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:
kalvano wrote:

It depends what you mean. There aren't nearly enough to go to a T14 at sticker if you only want Dallas. I agree there certainly are enough if you're going for only COL though.

I agree also that we now know you can go to UVA for free that it's the obvious choice.

Well, there are some strong personal factors that make attending a Texas school preferable to Virginia, but they're specific to my situation, so your point is well-taken. Thanks for your replies.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:47 am

ScottRiqui wrote:
kalvano wrote:

Well, I realize that "ties" is a nebulous term, but I was born in Houston, lived in Midland for a while, moved to DFW for the last five years before graduating high school, did my undergrad in DFW, was married there, and joined the Navy from there. In the 20 years since, I've gone back twice a year to see family. My parents still live there, along with my wife's family, and I'll be buying a house there as soon as I retire from the Navy.

That would work. It's just Houston and Dallas don't play nicely with each other.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:49 am

Elston Gunn wrote:
kalvano wrote:

If you want Dallas and have strong ties, you have a better shot at coming back from a T14 than if you go to SMU. SMU is alright, but I wouldn't pass up a T14, even at sticker for it.

busted

Postby busted » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:01 am

ScottRiqui wrote:
Elston Gunn wrote:Realistically, I'm just aiming for something in IP law making over 100k.

I don't think "realistically" and the rest of that phrase go well together.

Do you have an engineering undergrad? That tends to be a motivating factor for work in IP.

You might want to do some more research on jobs in the range of "something in IP law making over 100k" to see what your likelihood is of getting that job and what it would take for you to get there.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:17 am

If he has an engineering undergrad, then the chances are very good. If not, then virtually nonexistent.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:59 am

Computer science & engineering undergrad, and a master's in applied physics. The problem is, I got my bachelor's right before joining the Navy in 1994, and I got the master's in 2009 while on active duty, so I don't have any direct work experience in either field.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:58 am

OP- it's unclear, are you from Texas? If so, where in Texas? You say you know Texas lawyers but that's not really the ties that matter as much.

Thread hijacker- go to UVA. If it's free that's not even a question. Go. Run to there. An SMU student in this thread is telling you to do it. Go.

Rst902

Postby Rst902 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:40 pm

Grew up in Houston and have family both in Dallas
And Houston. currently getting a BA in Austin. Would
Be happy settling down long term in either Austin, Dallas, San Antonio, or Houston if
I could get a good job in law
Last edited by Rst902 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”