UMN-Mega Splitter

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Meowlol
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:04 am

UMN-Mega Splitter

Postby Meowlol » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:17 am

Let me start off by laying out my scores, I'm sitting on a 3.9 undergrad GPA with a stunning(!!!!) 154 LSAT. Basically, I decided it was just some inane standardized test, so I took the thing without any knowledge of its format, or any prep. I decided to apply to some law schools this cycle, to sort of feel them out, and so far, I've heard back from UMN, which accepted me, and is offering me an amazing 12k a year, (I was surprised I got anything with my score ^.^)

Anyways, if I choose to go, I'm obviously looking at upwards of 150k in debt. I have no delusions of grandeur, but I like to consider myself fairly intelligent, so I feel that if I do decide to matriculate this cycle, I would have just that much more determination to push for the top of my class, and make the debt worth while.

I guess what I'm wondering is if anyone thinks it might be a better idea for me to take a year off, and spend some time actually studying for the LSAT. I'm just curious as to if anyone thinks I might be able to make substantial improvements to my score if I decide to actually, you know, practice for the damn thing, or if I should just say screw it, and try to make up for the "lost" scholarship money by busting my ass in law school.

Thanks!

User avatar
bluepenguin
Posts: 285
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:33 pm

Re: UMN-Mega Splitter

Postby bluepenguin » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:26 am

Take the thing seriously, retake, reapply. There are countless ways your outcomes may improve (e.g. T14 acceptances based on higher LSAT and work experience, more $$ at Minnesota and others, more perspective, break from school drudgery, OCI advantages, less chance of unmitigated financial disaster, etc) and very few downsides (e.g. ........?).

User avatar
moonman157
Posts: 1039
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:26 pm

Re: UMN-Mega Splitter

Postby moonman157 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:27 am

Literally everyone on this website will tell you to wait a year and retake. And that's because it will be one of the best decisions you will ever make. Best of luck, the sky is the limit with that GPA

User avatar
BerkeleyBear
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:22 pm

Re: UMN-Mega Splitter

Postby BerkeleyBear » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:32 am

bluepenguin wrote:Take the thing seriously, retake, reapply. There are countless ways your outcomes may improve (e.g. T14 acceptances based on higher LSAT and work experience, more $$ at Minnesota and others, more perspective, break from school drudgery, OCI advantages, less chance of unmitigated financial disaster, etc) and very few downsides (e.g. ........?).
moonman157 wrote:Literally everyone on this website will tell you to wait a year and retake. And that's because it will be one of the best decisions you will ever make. Best of luck, the sky is the limit with that GPA


Listen to them!!

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: UMN-Mega Splitter

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:33 am

Are you seriously thinking of wasting a 3.9 on a 154?

Meowlol
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:04 am

Re: UMN-Mega Splitter

Postby Meowlol » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:36 am

BerkeleyBear wrote:
bluepenguin wrote:Take the thing seriously, retake, reapply. There are countless ways your outcomes may improve (e.g. T14 acceptances based on higher LSAT and work experience, more $$ at Minnesota and others, more perspective, break from school drudgery, OCI advantages, less chance of unmitigated financial disaster, etc) and very few downsides (e.g. ........?).
moonman157 wrote:Literally everyone on this website will tell you to wait a year and retake. And that's because it will be one of the best decisions you will ever make. Best of luck, the sky is the limit with that GPA


Listen to them!!


I was just thinking the same thing myself :) I've been reading that proper study can improve scores by upwards of ten points or more, and the significance of that is not lost on me. I guess I just needed some reassurance that retaking would be in my best interest. Thank you all for the input!

Meowlol
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:04 am

Re: UMN-Mega Splitter

Postby Meowlol » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:40 am

ndirish2010 wrote:Are you seriously thinking of wasting a 3.9 on a 154?


There are more than a few factors that have had me on the fence about simply taking the plunge this cycle, but the are all personal issues that I'm not going to delve into, lol. But, you're right, it would seem to be a waste to throw away four years of busting my hump just because I decided to screw around with the LSAT.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2739
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: UMN-Mega Splitter

Postby TripTrip » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:07 am

Meowlol wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:Are you seriously thinking of wasting a 3.9 on a 154?


There are more than a few factors that have had me on the fence about simply taking the plunge this cycle, but the are all personal issues that I'm not going to delve into, lol. But, you're right, it would seem to be a waste to throw away four years of busting my hump just because I decided to screw around with the LSAT.

I'm glad you came to your senses so quickly. With a 3.9 you should not be going to MN at anything less than a full ride. DO NOT let then entice you with that measly scholarship. You'll get much better offers at much better schools next cycle once you retake and break 170.

Head over here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=200917

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: UMN-Mega Splitter

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:29 am

Meowlol wrote:Let me start off by laying out my scores, I'm sitting on a 3.9 undergrad GPA with a stunning(!!!!) 154 LSAT. Basically, I decided it was just some inane standardized test, so I took the thing without any knowledge of its format, or any prep. I decided to apply to some law schools this cycle, to sort of feel them out, and so far, I've heard back from UMN, which accepted me, and is offering me an amazing 12k a year, (I was surprised I got anything with my score ^.^)

Anyways, if I choose to go, I'm obviously looking at upwards of 150k in debt. I have no delusions of grandeur, but I like to consider myself fairly intelligent, so I feel that if I do decide to matriculate this cycle, I would have just that much more determination to push for the top of my class, and make the debt worth while.

I guess what I'm wondering is if anyone thinks it might be a better idea for me to take a year off, and spend some time actually studying for the LSAT. I'm just curious as to if anyone thinks I might be able to make substantial improvements to my score if I decide to actually, you know, practice for the damn thing, or if I should just say screw it, and try to make up for the "lost" scholarship money by busting my ass in law school.

Thanks!

lol 100% of your class thinks they have the determination to push for the top of the class

Meowlol
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:04 am

Re: UMN-Mega Splitter

Postby Meowlol » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:38 pm

TripTrip wrote:
Meowlol wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:Are you seriously thinking of wasting a 3.9 on a 154?


There are more than a few factors that have had me on the fence about simply taking the plunge this cycle, but the are all personal issues that I'm not going to delve into, lol. But, you're right, it would seem to be a waste to throw away four years of busting my hump just because I decided to screw around with the LSAT.

I'm glad you came to your senses so quickly. With a 3.9 you should not be going to MN at anything less than a full ride. DO NOT let then entice you with that measly scholarship. You'll get much better offers at much better schools next cycle once you retake and break 170.

Head over here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=200917


Thanks for the link, been looking for a good framework of where to start studying for this thing. In the past few hours, I've been talking to quite a few people I know involved in the law game, and they all said more or less the same that is being stated here. I guess the allure of law school, and leaving my crap town had blinded me to the possibility that I really could drastically improve my options by crushing this thing. :)

Meowlol
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:04 am

Re: UMN-Mega Splitter

Postby Meowlol » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:38 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Meowlol wrote:Let me start off by laying out my scores, I'm sitting on a 3.9 undergrad GPA with a stunning(!!!!) 154 LSAT. Basically, I decided it was just some inane standardized test, so I took the thing without any knowledge of its format, or any prep. I decided to apply to some law schools this cycle, to sort of feel them out, and so far, I've heard back from UMN, which accepted me, and is offering me an amazing 12k a year, (I was surprised I got anything with my score ^.^)

Anyways, if I choose to go, I'm obviously looking at upwards of 150k in debt. I have no delusions of grandeur, but I like to consider myself fairly intelligent, so I feel that if I do decide to matriculate this cycle, I would have just that much more determination to push for the top of my class, and make the debt worth while.

I guess what I'm wondering is if anyone thinks it might be a better idea for me to take a year off, and spend some time actually studying for the LSAT. I'm just curious as to if anyone thinks I might be able to make substantial improvements to my score if I decide to actually, you know, practice for the damn thing, or if I should just say screw it, and try to make up for the "lost" scholarship money by busting my ass in law school.

Thanks!

lol 100% of your class thinks they have the determination to push for the top of the class


Yeah, but I'm going to be the very best, like no one ever was :lol:

eric922
Posts: 311
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:05 pm

Re: UMN-Mega Splitter

Postby eric922 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:49 pm

Meowlol wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Meowlol wrote:Let me start off by laying out my scores, I'm sitting on a 3.9 undergrad GPA with a stunning(!!!!) 154 LSAT. Basically, I decided it was just some inane standardized test, so I took the thing without any knowledge of its format, or any prep. I decided to apply to some law schools this cycle, to sort of feel them out, and so far, I've heard back from UMN, which accepted me, and is offering me an amazing 12k a year, (I was surprised I got anything with my score ^.^)

Anyways, if I choose to go, I'm obviously looking at upwards of 150k in debt. I have no delusions of grandeur, but I like to consider myself fairly intelligent, so I feel that if I do decide to matriculate this cycle, I would have just that much more determination to push for the top of my class, and make the debt worth while.

I guess what I'm wondering is if anyone thinks it might be a better idea for me to take a year off, and spend some time actually studying for the LSAT. I'm just curious as to if anyone thinks I might be able to make substantial improvements to my score if I decide to actually, you know, practice for the damn thing, or if I should just say screw it, and try to make up for the "lost" scholarship money by busting my ass in law school.

Thanks!

lol 100% of your class thinks they have the determination to push for the top of the class


Yeah, but I'm going to be the very best, like no one ever was :lol:

I give you bonus points for the nerdy reference.

redline380
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:41 pm

Re: UMN-Mega Splitter

Postby redline380 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:40 am

can i ask why umn? 150k doesn't sound like instate tuition to me after the scholarship, so why minnesota? it's about 6 degrees farenheit outside right now and will be about -5 by morning. what would possess anyone to move to this God forsaken land simply to study? and i ask this as a resident of mn. i am truly curious as to why people move here from other places. is it because of our 10,000 lakes? (i'll let you in on a little secret. it's much closer to 15,000 lakes, they just advertise it as 10,000 because the extra 5,000 are essentially swamps)

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2739
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: UMN-Mega Splitter

Postby TripTrip » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:14 pm

redline380 wrote:can i ask why umn? 150k doesn't sound like instate tuition to me after the scholarship, so why minnesota? it's about 6 degrees farenheit outside right now and will be about -5 by morning. what would possess anyone to move to this God forsaken land simply to study? and i ask this as a resident of mn. i am truly curious as to why people move here from other places. is it because of our 10,000 lakes? (i'll let you in on a little secret. it's much closer to 15,000 lakes, they just advertise it as 10,000 because the extra 5,000 are essentially swamps)

'cuz it's T20.

The weather in NY and Boston truly isn't much better anyway.

User avatar
mindarmed
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 2:16 pm

Re: UMN-Mega Splitter

Postby mindarmed » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:41 pm

Retake. Don't be a dumbass.

eric922
Posts: 311
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:05 pm

Re: UMN-Mega Splitter

Postby eric922 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:15 pm

redline380 wrote:can i ask why umn? 150k doesn't sound like instate tuition to me after the scholarship, so why minnesota? it's about 6 degrees farenheit outside right now and will be about -5 by morning. what would possess anyone to move to this God forsaken land simply to study? and i ask this as a resident of mn. i am truly curious as to why people move here from other places. is it because of our 10,000 lakes? (i'll let you in on a little secret. it's much closer to 15,000 lakes, they just advertise it as 10,000 because the extra 5,000 are essentially swamps)

I'm actually considering UMN as well if I don't get into a school that will get me to NYC or I decide the debt is too much. I could see myself living in the Twin Cities. Also, I actually like cold weather as opposed to hot.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: UMN-Mega Splitter

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:09 pm

Definitely retake. You will likely do far better if you actually study and learn how to take this thing.

Look at it this way... say you crush it and get a full-ride or something close to it to go to UMN. The year you took off would be worth the equivalent of a six-figure salary just to take the freakin' LSAT. Pretty good deal, wouldn't you say? Or alternatively, you could have a whole host of new school options available to you.

Don't waste that great GPA with that LSAT. Anything but a retake is selling yourself way short. Good luck OP.

User avatar
cahwc12
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: UMN-Mega Splitter

Postby cahwc12 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:24 am

Meowlol wrote:Let me start off by laying out my scores, I'm sitting on a 3.9 undergrad GPA with a stunning(!!!!) 154 LSAT. Basically, I decided it was just some inane standardized test, so I took the thing without any knowledge of its format, or any prep. I decided to apply to some law schools this cycle, to sort of feel them out, and so far, I've heard back from UMN, which accepted me, and is offering me an amazing 12k a year, (I was surprised I got anything with my score ^.^)

Anyways, if I choose to go, I'm obviously looking at upwards of 150k in debt. I have no delusions of grandeur, but I like to consider myself fairly intelligent, so I feel that if I do decide to matriculate this cycle, I would have just that much more determination to push for the top of my class, and make the debt worth while.

I guess what I'm wondering is if anyone thinks it might be a better idea for me to take a year off, and spend some time actually studying for the LSAT. I'm just curious as to if anyone thinks I might be able to make substantial improvements to my score if I decide to actually, you know, practice for the damn thing, or if I should just say screw it, and try to make up for the "lost" scholarship money by busting my ass in law school.

Thanks!


Just don't end up like this guy (deluded into believing you will be top of your class because you'll try super hard unlike everyone else paying $300k for law school, only to end up at/below median).


Also, congrats on your decision to take the LSAT seriously and retake for a better score.

Meowlol
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:04 am

Re: UMN-Mega Splitter

Postby Meowlol » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:49 pm

So, I have in fact decided to retake, but I have a question I'd like to pose. Given that I am in the midst of writing an extensive senior thesis this semester, in addition to my regular course work, while also working, I feel I will be unable to devote an extensive amount of study to the LSAT in the coming months. Given these facts, I have all but decided to focus on an October retake. So, from the start of May onward, I will be able to focus on the LSAT exclusively. My question is, what is the consensus on whether or not five months of extensive prep will be enough to see a significant boost to my score? I know everyone is obviously different in how quickly they pick things up, but any general ideas? Thanks!

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2739
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: UMN-Mega Splitter

Postby TripTrip » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:39 pm

Meowlol wrote:My question is, what is the consensus on whether or not five months of extensive prep will be enough to see a significant boost to my score? I know everyone is obviously different in how quickly they pick things up, but any general ideas? Thanks!

You'll be fine.

Just have a game plan. Check out the LSAT prep forum, and make sure you get your hands on every PT.

superklutz711
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:04 pm

Re: UMN-Mega Splitter

Postby superklutz711 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:02 pm

Meowlol wrote:Let me start off by laying out my scores, I'm sitting on a 3.9 undergrad GPA with a stunning(!!!!) 154 LSAT. Basically, I decided it was just some inane standardized test, so I took the thing without any knowledge of its format, or any prep. I decided to apply to some law schools this cycle, to sort of feel them out, and so far, I've heard back from UMN, which accepted me, and is offering me an amazing 12k a year, (I was surprised I got anything with my score ^.^)

Anyways, if I choose to go, I'm obviously looking at upwards of 150k in debt. I have no delusions of grandeur, but I like to consider myself fairly intelligent, so I feel that if I do decide to matriculate this cycle, I would have just that much more determination to push for the top of my class, and make the debt worth while.

I guess what I'm wondering is if anyone thinks it might be a better idea for me to take a year off, and spend some time actually studying for the LSAT. I'm just curious as to if anyone thinks I might be able to make substantial improvements to my score if I decide to actually, you know, practice for the damn thing, or if I should just say screw it, and try to make up for the "lost" scholarship money by busting my ass in law school.

Thanks!


I was in the same position that you were when I was a senior. I had a 3.8 and a 154. I wasn't pleased and I looked at the lsat in a similar fashion. So instead of applying then, I decided to join TFA. Last year then, as a first year teacher, I began studying again for the lsat. I dedicated my saturdays to it starting in February (I think). I retook in June (which is on a Monday at noon instead of Saturday at 8, which is great for those of us that don't think well in the mornings) and brought my score up to a 166. The jump opened up so many more doors for me. First, being numerous application waivers when I started applying this past fall. Secondly, I've been offered merit scholarships from almost all of the schools that I've been accepted to, including $20k from UMN. So I hope my story brings encouragement to you.

Also, I did my undergrad at the UMN and I loved it. I do enjoy the cold (leaving in MS now makes me miss the cold.) Campus is like its own little world inside a metropolitan area. Also Minneapolis is the biggest metropolitan area (outside of Chicago) in the midwest. There's plenty to do and see. I loved my 4 years there.

User avatar
cahwc12
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: UMN-Mega Splitter

Postby cahwc12 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:20 am

superklutz711 wrote:
Meowlol wrote:Let me start off by laying out my scores, I'm sitting on a 3.9 undergrad GPA with a stunning(!!!!) 154 LSAT. Basically, I decided it was just some inane standardized test, so I took the thing without any knowledge of its format, or any prep. I decided to apply to some law schools this cycle, to sort of feel them out, and so far, I've heard back from UMN, which accepted me, and is offering me an amazing 12k a year, (I was surprised I got anything with my score ^.^)

Anyways, if I choose to go, I'm obviously looking at upwards of 150k in debt. I have no delusions of grandeur, but I like to consider myself fairly intelligent, so I feel that if I do decide to matriculate this cycle, I would have just that much more determination to push for the top of my class, and make the debt worth while.

I guess what I'm wondering is if anyone thinks it might be a better idea for me to take a year off, and spend some time actually studying for the LSAT. I'm just curious as to if anyone thinks I might be able to make substantial improvements to my score if I decide to actually, you know, practice for the damn thing, or if I should just say screw it, and try to make up for the "lost" scholarship money by busting my ass in law school.

Thanks!


I was in the same position that you were when I was a senior. I had a 3.8 and a 154. I wasn't pleased and I looked at the lsat in a similar fashion. So instead of applying then, I decided to join TFA. Last year then, as a first year teacher, I began studying again for the lsat. I dedicated my saturdays to it starting in February (I think). I retook in June (which is on a Monday at noon instead of Saturday at 8, which is great for those of us that don't think well in the mornings) and brought my score up to a 166. The jump opened up so many more doors for me. First, being numerous application waivers when I started applying this past fall. Secondly, I've been offered merit scholarships from almost all of the schools that I've been accepted to, including $20k from UMN. So I hope my story brings encouragement to you.

Also, I did my undergrad at the UMN and I loved it. I do enjoy the cold (leaving in MS now makes me miss the cold.) Campus is like its own little world inside a metropolitan area. Also Minneapolis is the biggest metropolitan area (outside of Chicago) in the midwest. There's plenty to do and see. I loved my 4 years there.


What if I told you that the 2009 sticker price (tuition only) for a matriculating student was ~$35k less than it will be for you?

Yearly Tuition: Resident: $25,324, Non-Resident: $34,726 (2009)
Yearly Tuition: Resident: $36,820, Non-Resident: $45,484 (2012)

NoJob
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:32 pm

Re: UMN-Mega Splitter

Postby NoJob » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:09 pm

Meowlol wrote:Let me start off by laying out my scores, I'm sitting on a 3.9 undergrad GPA with a stunning(!!!!) 154 LSAT. Basically, I decided it was just some inane standardized test, so I took the thing without any knowledge of its format, or any prep. I decided to apply to some law schools this cycle, to sort of feel them out, and so far, I've heard back from UMN, which accepted me, and is offering me an amazing 12k a year, (I was surprised I got anything with my score ^.^)

Anyways, if I choose to go, I'm obviously looking at upwards of 150k in debt. I have no delusions of grandeur, but I like to consider myself fairly intelligent, so I feel that if I do decide to matriculate this cycle, I would have just that much more determination to push for the top of my class, and make the debt worth while.

I guess what I'm wondering is if anyone thinks it might be a better idea for me to take a year off, and spend some time actually studying for the LSAT. I'm just curious as to if anyone thinks I might be able to make substantial improvements to my score if I decide to actually, you know, practice for the damn thing, or if I should just say screw it, and try to make up for the "lost" scholarship money by busting my ass in law school.

Thanks!


Minnesota does an awful job placing its students. Not worth it.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: UMN-Mega Splitter

Postby Nova » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:13 pm

cahwc12 wrote:
What if I told you that the 2009 sticker price (tuition only) for a matriculating student was ~$35k less than it will be for you?

Yearly Tuition: Resident: $25,324, Non-Resident: $34,726 (2009)
Yearly Tuition: Resident: $36,820, Non-Resident: $45,484 (2012)


They probably meant 20k per year.

Those tuition hikes are crazy though.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: echonov and 3 guests