(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
prssrnt17

Postby prssrnt17 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:38 pm

Thanks!
Last edited by prssrnt17 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

IAFG

Re: Why would they do this to me?

Postby IAFG » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:41 pm

lol really? what made you think T2s give full rides to everyone with high numbers?

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:45 pm

I would think the most persuasive way would be to tell them you will attend if given X amount and the stip. is removed. Tell them the reasons you want to go there. You may mention your other offers, as that is customary.

prssrnt17

Postby prssrnt17 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:46 pm

IAFG wrote:lol really? what made you think T2s give full rides to everyone with high numbers?

I didn't, but I thought they would want to get me at the school and might offer me more than some other schools have offered me, especially since I noted in my application how much I wanted to go to this particular T2. I'm not trying to be entitled (and I'm greatly sorry if it's coming across that way), but I am just wondering if it is even worth it to try and negotiate up from the 60k I'm at right now, or if they just don't want me.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:49 pm

They might not think you're really going to attend, if your numbers are that much better than their medians. Or they just might not have a lot of money for scholarships. Different schools follow different policies about how to divvy up the limited pots.

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:51 pm

prssrnt17 wrote:
IAFG wrote:lol really? what made you think T2s give full rides to everyone with high numbers?

I didn't, but I thought they would want to get me at the school and might offer me more than some other schools have offered me, especially since I noted in my application how much I wanted to go to this particular T2. I'm not trying to be entitled (and I'm greatly sorry if it's coming across that way), but I am just wondering if it is even worth it to try and negotiate up from the 60k I'm at right now, or if they just don't want me.

Negotiate. Show you really are interested by still having discussions with them and discuss any scholarship offers you have from higher ranked schools (including NYU if you got money from them). Out of curiousity, what is the T2 we are talking about? That is one harsh stip, it makes it sound like they don't think you actually want in.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:52 pm

Lower ranked schools just don't have a business model to support large schollies. Same thing happened with me

edit: they are also more willing to tie up their scholly outlay in someone who is above their 75th AND more likely to actually attend. If you are way above their 75th, you satisfy the former but not the later.
Last edited by manofjustice on Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:54 pm

Some T2s really don't give more than a couple large scholarships. Pitt, for instance, only gives like one full-ride, IIRC.

On any note, you should go to one of the other schools even if they give you full ride+

prssrnt17

Postby prssrnt17 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:08 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:Some T2s really don't give more than a couple large scholarships. Pitt, for instance, only gives like one full-ride, IIRC.

On any note, you should go to one of the other schools even if they give you full ride+

Do you think I should even bother negotiating, or just withdraw?

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:11 pm

It happens. I was awarded 1/2 scholly from a T6 and got 5K/year from a T25 in my hometown. They probably do not think you will attend based on historical data from people with your numbers.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:14 pm

the shittiest school I got into offered me the smallest scholarship of any school I got into. they are crooks.

bluepenguin

Postby bluepenguin » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:16 pm

prssrnt17 wrote:Do you think I should even bother negotiating, or just withdraw?

Maybe talk to them about it, but wait until you have all your decision/scholarship info. Decide what your best option is, decide how much money it'd take for you to choose T2 over that, tell T2, chips fall where they may. Or at least that's what I'd do.

onionz

Postby onionz » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:26 pm

Surprised this hasn't come up yet, but with much better options on the table, why are you even considering a T2? It's 3 years of your life, so even if it's not in your favorite city, you should consider not only total debt coming out of law school, but also the chances of employment after coming out of law school.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:33 pm

onionz wrote:Surprised this hasn't come up yet, but with much better options on the table, why are you even considering a T2? It's 3 years of your life, so even if it's not in your favorite city, you should consider not only total debt coming out of law school, but also the chances of employment after coming out of law school.

Because picking up and moving every few years is exhausting and some people would rather stay near home and family where they have connections and have already built a life for themselves.

To the OP, it doesn't take much effort to negotiate. Just write a couple of emails and scan copies of scholarship offers, it'll take 5 seconds and you have nothing to lose by doing so.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:04 pm

Don't go there.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:54 pm

prssrnt17 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:Some T2s really don't give more than a couple large scholarships. Pitt, for instance, only gives like one full-ride, IIRC.

Would you go there if they offer you a full ride? If yes, it's worth negotiating. If no, you're just wasting everyone's time since you already know their best offer wouldn't be good enough.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:42 pm

stillwater wrote:the shittiest school I got into offered me the smallest scholarship of any school I got into. they are crooks.

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:47 pm

Yeah, something very similar happened to me. Just give them a number OP - if they can't play ball, fuck them.

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:51 pm

I can't believe a school that knew you had no interest of attending didn't offer you a full scholarship. Is there no decency left in the world?!

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:00 pm

prssrnt17 wrote:

Depends on what your other options are and what school it is/market/what you want to do after graduating. I'd generally say that NYU at sticker is better than T2 even at $0 COA but if you have a great legal network in the city and it's a place like Tulane, it may be worth pursuing. I doubt they'd end up giving you more than full tuition though, in which case, it's not worth it, especially with 6 figure schollies at beter schools and possible T14 schollies.

However, there's no point in closing the book this early. Though if they want a commitment, drop em.

prssrnt17

Postby prssrnt17 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:32 pm

nebula666 wrote:I can't believe a school that knew you had no interest of attending didn't offer you a full scholarship. Is there no decency left in the world?!

I have interest in attending this school and thought I made that clear... but thanks for the rude remark, nebula.

To everyone else, thank you for the amazing advice. I think I may try to negotiate a little bit since I do really like the school and have ties to/connections in the market already, but you're right that it is probably more worth it to go to a T14 or T1 with $$$ unless I can get a better scholly from this one.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”