GWU vs Lower T1

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
icanbeohyes

Re: GWU vs Lower T1

Postby icanbeohyes » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:49 pm

TripTrip wrote:
icanbeohyes wrote:I received a full tuition scholarship to my undergraduate institution, however my parents had been saving up a college fund for me for years. Although I am not wealthy, the accumulation of 22 years of savings from both my parents & grandparents is more than enough to cover the $250k tutition.

This does not mean money is of no consequence! $250k is still $250k!

But it does mean, I can afford to attend the law school of my choice.
All I am worried about is going to the best school I can that will set me up with a good job and the best opportunities. GWU is the best option I have received. I am considering it carefully. Now other than harrassing me about my financial status, I would prefer non-monetary related concerns about attending GWU.

65% emploment (minus the 15% of school-funded employment) is still better than all the schools listed that I as of yet have gotten into.

icanbeohyes

Postby icanbeohyes » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:50 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
icanbeohyes wrote:I received a full tuition scholarship to my undergraduate institution, however my parents had been saving up a college fund for me for years. Although I am not wealthy, the accumulation of 22 years of savings from both my parents & grandparents is more than enough to cover the $250k tutition.

This does not mean money is of no consequence! $250k is still $250k!

Yeah man, with 250k you could buy a subway restaurant, go part-time to the local city-school for free, kick-ass.

Not everyones dream but very profitable.

The money was set aside to pursue schooling. Whether I have to pay $250k or $200k or $150k, it won't make a difference to me.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:57 pm

I guess if that's the case, my next question is: what is keeping you out of the T-14?

If sticker price is a non-issue, up your LSAT and enjoy GULC. Just get a 170+ and you're basically in.

icanbeohyes

Postby icanbeohyes » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:06 pm

TripTrip wrote:I guess if that's the case, my next question is: what is keeping you out of the T-14?

If sticker price is a non-issue, up your LSAT and enjoy GULC. Just get a 170+ and you're basically in.

I am just assuming I will be shut out. I did not apply to GULC. I am still waiting for the T-14 responses though

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:09 pm

icanbeohyes wrote:
TripTrip wrote:I guess if that's the case, my next question is: what is keeping you out of the T-14?

I am just assuming I will be shut out. I did not apply to GULC. I am still waiting for the T-14 responses though

#s?

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:11 pm

I know someone who went there on a full-ride, made decent grades (top half), and couldn't get a job. School paid for his "clerkship." That was running out and miraculously he got offered a low paying gov job in a field he had no interest. I also know someone who went there and got on with a larger firm. I know this is all anecdotal but its all I got. Also has been said that 80% employed thing is total bs.

bluepenguin

Postby bluepenguin » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:09 pm

I know you don't want to hear it, but just having money is not excuse to throw it away/blow it inefficiently. Hope you have a lot so you can some left over to pay for a degree that'll actually get a job if GWL doesn't.

If all you're worried about is going to the best school, you need to retake the LSAT, thoroughly prepare your applications, submit early, and go to a T14. If you don't you'll almost certainly have regrets.

icanbeohyes

Postby icanbeohyes » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:28 pm

bluepenguin wrote:I know you don't want to hear it, but just having money is not excuse to throw it away/blow it inefficiently. Hope you have a lot so you can some left over to pay for a degree that'll actually get a job if GWL doesn't.

If all you're worried about is going to the best school, you need to retake the LSAT, thoroughly prepare your applications, submit early, and go to a T14. If you don't you'll almost certainly have regrets.

I have been considering this, but I am waiting back for all my responses before I make a decision on what would be the best plan of action. It seems like a lot of people are against GWU. I have an acquaintance who is a 2L at GWU who loves it there, but he is doing patent law. He has been very upfront about his fellow peers who are unable to receive work or get work at low pay $55-$70k.

I would be hesitant to retake the LSAT because I have taken it three times already. From my first to last test I have only gone up 7 points all the while PT-ing 10 points above my actual test. I have taken classes, powerscore, private tutoring, old LSAT tests from LSAC. I don't think I will be able to improve any more than I have and I think schools will look unfavorably upon a fourth LSAT score that is only a 2-3 point improvement.

icanbeohyes

Postby icanbeohyes » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:29 pm

TripTrip wrote:
icanbeohyes wrote:

#s?

I prefer not to disclose my numbers.

dissonance1848

Postby dissonance1848 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:39 pm

Nice flame man. "I won't disclose my numbers" What BS.

bluepenguin

Postby bluepenguin » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:45 pm

icanbeohyes wrote:I have been considering this, but I am waiting back for all my responses before I make a decision on what would be the best plan of action. It seems like a lot of people are against GWU. I have an acquaintance who is a 2L at GWU who loves it there, but he is doing patent law. He has been very upfront about his fellow peers who are unable to receive work or get work at low pay $55-$70k.

I would be hesitant to retake the LSAT because I have taken it three times already. From my first to last test I have only gone up 7 points all the while PT-ing 10 points above my actual test. I have taken classes, powerscore, private tutoring, old LSAT tests from LSAC. I don't think I will be able to improve any more than I have and I think schools will look unfavorably upon a fourth LSAT score that is only a 2-3 point improvement.

Hmm. Well I guess it's hard to say without specifics. Your best bet might still be work experience + NU, but even Northwestern isn't like guaranteed employment. In your situation I'd be tempted to roll the dice at GW, even though the main feeder school for your region might be a better choice. Really if I were in your situation I'd go do the pre-med postbac somewhere and go get a job with 100% employment and good salaries. Or find a different graduate program that would help me get a better job than law without the risk.

Gotta do what's right for you, though.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:59 pm

icanbeohyes wrote:I prefer not to disclose my numbers.

The typical way to do it would be to give a range (e.g. 3.4-3.6 GPA, 165-168 LSAT). That way, people can at least give you somewhat reasonable advice

icanbeohyes

Postby icanbeohyes » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:01 pm

bluepenguin wrote:
icanbeohyes wrote:I have been considering this, but I am waiting back for all my responses before I make a decision on what would be the best plan of action. It seems like a lot of people are against GWU. I have an acquaintance who is a 2L at GWU who loves it there, but he is doing patent law. He has been very upfront about his fellow peers who are unable to receive work or get work at low pay $55-$70k.

Hmm. Well I guess it's hard to say without specifics. Your best bet might still be work experience + NU, but even Northwestern isn't like guaranteed employment. In your situation I'd be tempted to roll the dice at GW, even though the main feeder school for your region might be a better choice. Really if I were in your situation I'd go do the pre-med postbac somewhere and go get a job with 100% employment and good salaries. Or find a different graduate program that would help me get a better job than law without the risk.

Gotta do what's right for you, though.

How would a pre-med postbac help? Especially if I am uninterested in medicine, math and science.

dingbat wrote:
icanbeohyes wrote:I prefer not to disclose my numbers.

The typical way to do it would be to give a range (e.g. 3.4-3.6 GPA, 165-168 LSAT). That way, people can at least give you somewhat reasonable advice

I will just say I was below both the 25% LSAT/GPA for GWU and I am an URM.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:12 pm

icanbeohyes wrote:I will just say I was below both the 25% LSAT/GPA for GWU and I am an URM.

that doesn't help... but then again, most people on this board don't know much about URMs

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:19 pm

dingbat wrote:
icanbeohyes wrote:I will just say I was below both the 25% LSAT/GPA for GWU and I am an URM.

that doesn't help... but then again, most people on this board don't know much about URMs

Even so, any kind of range will allow us to give FAR more accurate and relevant advice to OP than knowing nothing.

icanbeohyes

Postby icanbeohyes » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:24 pm

TripTrip wrote:
dingbat wrote:

Even so, any kind of range will allow us to give FAR more accurate and relevant advice to OP than knowing nothing.

155-165

3.0-3.4

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:25 pm

if you are below both 25s you're probably going to get rocked at GW and finish at the very bottom of the class, jobless, having wasted your dads money

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:27 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:if you are below both 25s you're probably going to get rocked at GW and finish at the very bottom of the class, jobless, having wasted your dads money

if you're barely below, I wouldn't worry too much about it, but if you're significantly below, then, yeah, I agree

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:38 pm

URM is even more of a reason to wait. A five or ten point LSAT bump will get you much better (even T14) acceptances. You still really haven't told us what kind of law you want to practice.GW forecloses a lot of options right now, even if you'd be fine doing small time litigation in a NOVA suburb with no debt. Consider investing some of the 250K into supporting yourself while you take an entry-level job somewhere and study for the LSAT.

icanbeohyes

Postby icanbeohyes » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:43 pm

dingbat wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:if you are below both 25s you're probably going to get rocked at GW and finish at the very bottom of the class, jobless, having wasted your dads money

if you're barely below, I wouldn't worry too much about it, but if you're significantly below, then, yeah, I agree

I doubt it. For a future lawyer, you are very cynical and degrading, Randolph. I would not deny that there is a possibility of ending up at the bottom of my class, but at the same time I feel like it's rare that people are admitted into schools in which the adcomms think they will do badly. I think I will be fine. I already have connections to students in the school which I can imagine will benefit me.
My LSAT/GPA is not a reflection of my intellectual capability and work ethic.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:45 pm

icanbeohyes wrote:
dingbat wrote:

I doubt it. For a future lawyer, you are very cynical and degrading, Randolph. I would not deny that there is a possibility of ending up at the bottom of my class, but at the same time I feel like it's rare that people are admitted into schools in which the adcomms think they will do badly. I think I will be fine. I already have connections to students in the school which I can imagine will benefit me.

You have a lot to learn about lawyers. Also what evidence do you have that your LSAT/GPA is "not a reflection of my intellectual capability and work ethic" relative to the people who did get into GWU with higher scores?

icanbeohyes

Postby icanbeohyes » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:46 pm

timbs4339 wrote:URM is even more of a reason to wait. A five or ten point LSAT bump will get you much better (even T14) acceptances. You still really haven't told us what kind of law you want to practice.GW forecloses a lot of options right now, even if you'd be fine doing small time litigation in a NOVA suburb with no debt. Consider investing some of the 250K into supporting yourself while you take an entry-level job somewhere and study for the LSAT.

I am considering taking the year off and reapplying for fall 2014 with a higher LSAT.
I am also considering business and finance law aka corporate.

icanbeohyes

Postby icanbeohyes » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:48 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
icanbeohyes wrote:
dingbat wrote:

You have a lot to learn about lawyers. Also what evidence do you have that your LSAT/GPA is "not a reflection of my intellectual capability and work ethic" relative to the people who did get into GWU with higher scores?

I don't need to prove anything to you.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:49 pm

icanbeohyes wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:URM is even more of a reason to wait. A five or ten point LSAT bump will get you much better (even T14) acceptances. You still really haven't told us what kind of law you want to practice.GW forecloses a lot of options right now, even if you'd be fine doing small time litigation in a NOVA suburb with no debt. Consider investing some of the 250K into supporting yourself while you take an entry-level job somewhere and study for the LSAT.

I am considering taking the year off and reapplying for fall 2014 with a higher LSAT.
I am also considering business and finance law aka corporate.

That kind of law is going to require a biglaw feeder school, which GWU is not right now.

icanbeohyes

Postby icanbeohyes » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:52 pm

Thank you. I will definitely consider all of this as my cycle ends.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”