What is the culture like at Harvard Law School?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BeautifulDidem
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:13 am

What is the culture like at Harvard Law School?

Postby BeautifulDidem » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:12 pm

Any students from Harvard Law on here?

I love the larger populations of students (entering class of about 500) versus being at a smaller school like Yale (entering class of about 200). Do you prefer the larger population or not (what are the advantages/disadvantages)? What are the classes like? Is it hard to come by professor interactions since there are more students?

I would greatly appreciate first hand experience's :)

Thanks everyone.

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: What is the culture like at Harvard Law School?

Postby ph14 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:21 pm

BeautifulDidem wrote:Any students from Harvard Law on here?

I love the larger populations of students (entering class of about 500) versus being at a smaller school like Yale (entering class of about 200). Do you prefer the larger population or not (what are the advantages/disadvantages)? What are the classes like? Is it hard to come by professor interactions since there are more students?

I would greatly appreciate first hand experience's :)

Thanks everyone.


You should post your questions about HLS here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=141188. Anyways, it definitely is a huge school. Advantages are greater variety in everything (clubs, professor specialties, etc.). There will be something for everyone. And, to some degree, it feels a bit less like high school where you are around the same few people all the time. I've heard from friends at SLS and YLS that they basically know everyone in their class, at least they would recognize their face. HLS is too big for that. Disadvantages is that it might be harder to get to know professors (although they are more professors so it might wash out a bit). But at least for the bigger name professors, there is definitely tons of students who want to work with them or take classes with them, which might make it hard. It probably has a less personal feel than smaller schools, and there is quite a bit of bureaucracy and red tape.

User avatar
Shooter
Posts: 474
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:39 am

Re: What is the culture like at Harvard Law School?

Postby Shooter » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:23 pm

So far I've found the large class size to be very helpful in terms of making friends, finding opportunities to get involved and learning new things. I don't like that all 1L classes have more than 80 people because I'm not great at speaking to large groups, but other than that it's really not a problem. It's also not very difficult to get face time with professors.

Note: my opinions on the class size might change during EIP if having too many well-qualified candidates makes it more difficult to land a job or if I get horrible grades and need something to complain about.

BeautifulDidem
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:13 am

Re: What is the culture like at Harvard Law School?

Postby BeautifulDidem » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:45 pm

ph14 wrote:
BeautifulDidem wrote:Any students from Harvard Law on here?

I love the larger populations of students (entering class of about 500) versus being at a smaller school like Yale (entering class of about 200). Do you prefer the larger population or not (what are the advantages/disadvantages)? What are the classes like? Is it hard to come by professor interactions since there are more students?

I would greatly appreciate first hand experience's :)

Thanks everyone.


You should post your questions about HLS here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=141188. Anyways, it definitely is a huge school. Advantages are greater variety in everything (clubs, professor specialties, etc.). There will be something for everyone. And, to some degree, it feels a bit less like high school where you are around the same few people all the time. I've heard from friends at SLS and YLS that they basically know everyone in their class, at least they would recognize their face. HLS is too big for that. Disadvantages is that it might be harder to get to know professors (although they are more professors so it might wash out a bit). But at least for the bigger name professors, there is definitely tons of students who want to work with them or take classes with them, which might make it hard. It probably has a less personal feel than smaller schools, and there is quite a bit of bureaucracy and red tape.



Thank you so much!!!

I prefer the larger law school culture. It is most definitely going to be a significant determining factor on where I choose to apply and attend (besides the academic reputation).

BeautifulDidem
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:13 am

Re: What is the culture like at Harvard Law School?

Postby BeautifulDidem » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:48 pm

Shooter wrote:So far I've found the large class size to be very helpful in terms of making friends, finding opportunities to get involved and learning new things. I don't like that all 1L classes have more than 80 people because I'm not great at speaking to large groups, but other than that it's really not a problem. It's also not very difficult to get face time with professors.

Note: my opinions on the class size might change during EIP if having too many well-qualified candidates makes it more difficult to land a job or if I get horrible grades and need something to complain about.


That would be a drawback, but I don't mind speaking in large groups unless people are picking on me and making up noise.

This is so awesome :D




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chipotle85, kalvano, obx, trmckenz, vintageblazers and 9 guests