Wisconsin Madion v Chicago-Kent ($$)?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Wisconsin v Chicago Kent($$)

Wisconsin Madison
67%
Chicago Kent
33%

Total votes: 15

Suzy_29

Wisconsin Madion v Chicago-Kent ($$)?

Postby Suzy_29 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:19 pm

I was wondering which school you would pick. I got 23k/yr with no stipulations from Chicago Kent and I have read that Wisconsin was fairly stingy on scholarships so I'm assuming no scholarship. I am from Canada so no in state tuition either, however I do have parental contribution which would limit debt to a maximum of 110k. I don't really care where in the mid west I end up, I am very used to the cold(Montreal for UG).

Thanks?

Nova

Re: Wisconsin Madion v Chicago-Kent ($$)?

Postby Nova » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:28 pm

Well, in both cases you would be looking at 110k+ COA. Since Wisc is the better school and has the better prospects, it is the better choice. Thats assuming your parents have the money to comfortabley spare.

Retaking the LSAT to get a scholly from Wisc (or a peer school) is BY FAR your best option.

110k debt is over paying. Especially when you are really paying like 200k.

Most posters wont endorse either of your options (TT with $$ vs T1 Flagship @ OOS Sticker)
Wisc wrote:•62.6% of graduates were known to be employed in long-term, full-time legal jobs. This figure includes no school-funded jobs.
•81.5% graduates were employed in long-term jobs.
•83.1% graduates were employed in full-time jobs.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=wisconsin
Kent wrote:•50.9% of graduates were known to be employed in long-term, full-time legal jobs.
•69.6% graduates were employed in long-term jobs.
•70.2% graduates were employed in full-time jobs.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=chicago-kent

bluepenguin

Postby bluepenguin » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:42 am

Wisconsin is the less bad bad life decision.

Also, are you comfortable with (at least) a 20% chance of essentially lighting your parents (presumably hard-earned) money on fire?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:43 am

Dude you should probably go to law school in Canada rather than those 2 places. You don't seem like you have ties to Chicago or Wisconsin.

Suzy_29

Postby Suzy_29 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:56 am

rad lulz wrote:Dude you should probably go to law school in Canada rather than those 2 places. You don't seem like you have ties to Chicago or Wisconsin.

That was my other concern =/! It really doesn't matter to me where I end up, I've already lived in 4 countries, I am very comfortable in the prospect of staying in Wisconsin forever. How firms might consider that or view me as a potential employee is one of my great concerns.

The problem really is my gpa, I had an unfortunate accident in my freshmen year that resulted in 2 disc herniations over the next 4 years. U of Ottawa for example weighs GPA/LSAT at 80/20 for admissions, so I am stuck in a bind. I have always wanted to be a lawyer and can see no other career I might be happy in, as such I suppose its a matter of the level of risk I am willing to take. I am still waiting on Ohio state, IU-Bloomington, and Minneapolis if that makes any difference.
Last edited by Suzy_29 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:59 am

Suzy_29 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Dude you should probably go to law school in Canada rather than those 2 places. You don't seem like you have ties to Chicago or Wisconsin.

That was my other concern =/! It really doesn't matter to me where I end up, I've already lived in 4 countries, I am very comfortable in the prospect of staying in Wisconsin forever. How firms might consider that or view me as a potential employee is one of my great concerns.

The problem really is my gpa, I had an unfortunate accident in my freshmen year that resulted in 2 disc herniations over the next 4 years. My LSAT is a 171 but with a GPA at 3.08 my options are very limited, especially in Canada. U of Ottawa for example weighs GPA/LSAT at 80/40 for admissions, so I am stuck in a bind. I have always wanted to be a lawyer and can see no other career I might be happy in, as such I suppose its a matter of the level of risk I am willing to take. I am still waiting on Ohio state, IU-Bloomington, and Minneapolis if that makes any difference.

Why don't you get some work experience and apply to Northwestern or ED UVA

Suzy_29

Postby Suzy_29 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:03 am

rad lulz wrote:
Suzy_29 wrote:

The problem really is my gpa, I had an unfortunate accident in my freshmen year that resulted in 2 disc herniations over the next 4 years. My LSAT is a 171 but with a GPA at 3.08 my options are very limited, especially in Canada. U of Ottawa for example weighs GPA/LSAT at 80/40 for admissions, so I am stuck in a bind. I have always wanted to be a lawyer and can see no other career I might be happy in, as such I suppose its a matter of the level of risk I am willing to take. I am still waiting on Ohio state, IU-Bloomington, and Minneapolis if that makes any difference.

Why don't you get some work experience and apply to Northwestern or ED UVA

Haha with an honors history and a minor in psyc I'm not sure what I can scrape up for work that might help. Or is any work experience helpful short of say minimum wage jobs.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:04 am

Suzy_29 wrote:Haha with an honors history and a minor in psyc I'm not sure what I can scrape up for work that might help. Or is any work experience helpful short of say minimum wage jobs.

Minimum wage job is for NW. You can ED UVA right now w out the work experience.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:06 am

rad lulz wrote:
Suzy_29 wrote:Haha with an honors history and a minor in psyc I'm not sure what I can scrape up for work that might help. Or is any work experience helpful short of say minimum wage jobs.

and WUSTL as a safety

Suzy_29

Postby Suzy_29 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:07 am

mattviphky wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

and WUSTL as a safety

I did not realize any of those were options, I guess I'll give them a try :shock:

bluepenguin

Postby bluepenguin » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:13 am

You can ED at GULC any time in the cycle too, can't you? Not that it's great at sticker, but...

Suzy_29

Postby Suzy_29 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:18 am

.....haha the US has way too many law schools, I guess I really need to research more than 10 schools. At least its not too late in the cycle :oops:

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:18 am

Suzy_29

Postby Suzy_29 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:19 am

Haha thanks!!!

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:35 am

Is that GPA not below UVA's floor? I would echo the people who said get one year of WE and ED NU.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”