UVA vs rest of T777 Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BSC

Bronze

UVA vs rest of T777

Post by BSC » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:00 pm

So I'm from the South, but don't know if I want to end up working here or somewhere else like NYC, etc. So far my only T7 option is UVA with 35K/year, but I don't think it's too unrealistic to expect and plan for the event of some other acceptances.

Given my ties to the South and not knowing where I want to end up, would UVA be a smarter choice than a peer, say Penn, who may place better in NYC or Michigan for the Midwest? And how bout compared to CCN?

I guess it boils down to whether or not a non UVA/Duke T14 would leave me unable to come back here if I wanted to and if the extra NYC etc. boost from other schools is worth it.

Part of why I'm asking now and not waiting for other options is Damn, I want to be settled on a school already, and my UVA offer is great.

Thanks!

hume85

Silver

Re: UVA vs rest of T777

Post by hume85 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:02 pm

BSC wrote:So I'm from the South, but don't know if I want to end up working here or somewhere else like NYC, etc. So far my only T7 option is UVA with 35K/year, but I don't think it's too unrealistic to expect and plan for the event of some other acceptances.

Given my ties to the South and not knowing where I want to end up, would UVA be a smarter choice than a peer, say Penn, who may place better in NYC or Michigan for the Midwest? And how bout compared to CCN?

I guess it boils down to whether or not a non UVA/Duke T14 would leave me unable to come back here if I wanted to and if the extra NYC etc. boost from other schools is worth it.

Part of why I'm asking now and not waiting for other options is Damn, I want to be settled on a school already, and my UVA offer is great.

Thanks!
You might want to PM rad luz or BruceWayne; IIRC they are both familiar with southern markets.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:07 pm

105k from UVA is a pretty sweet deal even if you don't want to work in the south.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:10 pm

Take the money at UVA

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:36 pm

T7 lol what a retard.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:00 pm

Desert Fox wrote:T7 lol what a retard.
This. But also, assuming you receive the same offer from all of the T14s outside of HYSCC, I would lean Penn. It will not prevent you from getting the south, and it maximizes your NYC options. In addition, it provides you the highest probability of a desirable outcome.

However, you need to wait until you have your scholarship packages before getting to deep into comparisons. As it stands, only UVA has given you money, and, until that changes, plan on UVA.

Dog

Bronze

Post by Dog » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:26 pm

I wouldn't fret over possible choices TOO much when they have yet to roll in. If you don't get into HYSCC and you don't get a significant scholarship at another school, I think your choice will be relatively easy. Whatever happens, UVA @35k/year is a good choice to have.

BSC

Bronze

Post by BSC » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:33 pm

Alright, thanks for the responses.

And regarding the "retard" comment, I've seen others use the t7 distinction, and "MVP and up" is essentially the same and super common. Asshole.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:43 pm

BSC wrote:Alright, thanks for the responses.

And regarding the "retard" comment, I've seen others use the t7 distinction, and "MVP and up" is essentially the same and super common. Asshole.
T7 is retarded. And if there were a T7, UVA wouldn't be in it.

I don't get why you are mentioning MVP, that makes way more than 7 top schools.

I repeat, LOL retard.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:53 pm

Honestly 35K a year is enough to make UVA a good choice for you regardless of what happens assuming you don't get HYS. If you get a comparable amount from a non HYS top 14 and you think you would really like to try NY then I might lean a little towards Penn and the other NYC focused top 14 schools. With you being from the South attending one of those schools won't hurt you in and of itself for working there and you'll have better chances at NYC. I also think UVA's grading system is poorly designed for this sort of economy so that's something else to consider. But as far as your chances at Southern biglaw, since you are actually a Southerner, that's going to be impacted more by your grades (regardless of where you go to school within the non HYS top 14). One bad thing about choosing one of the other top 14 over UVA is that you will have less access to interviews (because they won't come to campus). If you have good grades this isn't a big deal--but if you don't it could be a real problem.

BSC

Bronze

Post by BSC » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:03 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
T7 is retarded. And if there were a T7, UVA wouldn't be in it.

I don't get why you are mentioning MVP, that makes way more than 7 top schools.

I repeat, LOL retard.
Thanks BW.

Well I said T777, not T7. Partly as a joke, but also to mean all those schools ranked 7 (all three) and up; that makes 9, the same as "MVP and up". And "MVP and up" only differs from T777 by M. I mentioned it to show that people DO talk about that section of the T14, and I was just talking about it a different way. Asshole.

Trout et al

Bronze

Post by Trout et al » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:03 pm

I vote UVA for a southerner if the options are MVP at equal COA.

Trout et al

Bronze

Post by Trout et al » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:05 pm

BruceWayne wrote:Honestly 35K a year is enough to make UVA a good choice for you regardless of what happens assuming you don't get HYS. If you get a comparable amount from a non HYS top 14 and you think you would really like to try NY then I might lean a little towards Penn and the other NYC focused top 14 schools. With you being from the South attending one of those schools won't hurt you in and of itself for working there and you'll have better chances at NYC. I also think UVA's grading system is poorly designed for this sort of economy so that's something else to consider. But as far as your chances at Southern biglaw, since you are actually a Southerner, that's going to be impacted more by your grades (regardless of where you go to school within the non HYS top 14). One bad thing about choosing one of the other top 14 over UVA is that you will have less access to interviews (because they won't come to campus). If you have good grades this isn't a big deal--but if you don't it could be a real problem.
What do you mean by this?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:17 pm

Basically UVA with 35K a year for someone interested in the South is a decent situation to be in. However, if that person isn't sure whether they want the South or NYC and they get into one of the NYC focused top 14s with a comparable offer it might be the better choice. Especially since UVA has a grading policy that isn't as student friendly as its peers.

BSC

Bronze

Post by BSC » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:26 pm

BruceWayne wrote:Basically UVA with 35K a year for someone interested in the South is a decent situation to be in. However, if that person isn't sure whether they want the South or NYC and they get into one of the NYC focused top 14s with a comparable offer it might be the better choice. Especially since UVA has a grading policy that isn't as student friendly as its peers.

That makes sense and was what I was wondering. But I think he was asking about the grading policy thing. Can you explain this? Or show where I can find info on this. Thanks

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:15 am

WTF is a T7?

thelawyler

Silver

Post by thelawyler » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:48 am

ndirish2010 wrote:WTF is a T7?
A T777*

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 04102014 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:34 am

I found the T777 amusing. I know I'm not the only one.

BSC

Bronze

Post by BSC » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:42 am

thelawyler wrote:
A T777*
ohpobrecito wrote:I found the T777 amusing. I know I'm not the only one.
Well shit, if it's really worth all the fuss let me rephrase my question:

UVA vs schools generally regarded as its peers and schools generally regarded as superior.

Figured that was apparent given the three schools ranked 7 according to USNWR.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:00 am

I think the shit you got for T777 is unfounded. The tripple 7 answers any questions one could have had.

As for your question, all else equal, (Including self-selection)

Penn for NYC Biglaw would have a slight advantage in this category
Berk for CA biglaw would have a slight advantage in this category

Although there are slight differences in job prospects from school to school, the differences are so slight that money should ultimately be the deciding factor.

Adding on to this situation that you aren't sure where or what you want to practice, debt/how much you particularly enjoy a school should be your only factor in deciding between the T777.

Wahoos

New

Post by Wahoos » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:45 am

People like you are why most law students hate Top Law Schools. OP wasn't trying to make an elitist statement or anything- it was clear what the point of the original message was. This isn't supposed to be a thread about what schools should be defined in what arbitrary categories (T-6, T-7, T-10, whatever) or not.

Chill out and don't get so hurt any time you feel like somebody is slighting/ boosting the prestige of a school you do/ do not attend.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:27 pm

Wahoos wrote:
People like you are why most law students hate Top Law Schools. OP wasn't trying to make an elitist statement or anything- it was clear what the point of the original message was. This isn't supposed to be a thread about what schools should be defined in what arbitrary categories (T-6, T-7, T-10, whatever) or not.

Chill out and don't get so hurt any time you feel like somebody is slighting/ boosting the prestige of a school you do/ do not attend.
LOL at this little bitch UVA fanboy.

Wahoos

New

Post by Wahoos » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:42 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Wahoos wrote:

That wasn't the point at all. I don't care at all how some guy on a law school message board is classifying my law school. (Ooooo T-7 today instead of T-10!!!)

U seem mad though. Y u mad?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:43 pm

Wahoos wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Wahoos wrote:

That wasn't the point at all. I don't care at all how some guy on a law school message board is classifying my law school. (Ooooo T-7 today instead of T-10!!!)

U seem mad though. Y u mad?

Y u mad? (it is 2010)

Wahoos

New

Post by Wahoos » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:46 pm

Y u mad? (it is 2010)

Just hoping to be like you one day. Scouring TLS to find those who misapply "T-10" and "T-7" and bring them to justice, while spraying a few insults from behind my computer screen along the way. Feels good, man

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”