3.23, 166 URM Want to Practice in California, what do do

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
twenty

Re: 3.23, 166 URM Want to Practice in California, what do do

Postby twenty » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:27 pm

Last edited by twenty on Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:43 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:I'm actually really looking forward to you becoming an attorney so that I can have my white/MA friends get your approval for this, go and identify themselves as AA, and then when the C+F committee comes down on them they can say their counsel told them to.

You're missing the point entirely.

My argument is if, FOR EXAMPLE, you are mixed with both White/Mexican and you identify more with your White side than your Mexican American side while not feeling the need to benefit from the MA URM boost, then that is your perogative. If you feel otherwise, that is okay too (as was provided in my example from the thread I noted).

I did NOT advocate the above (ie identifying with a heritage that was NEVER a part of your racial make up).

twenty

Postby twenty » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:59 pm

Last edited by twenty on Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

twenty

Postby twenty » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:03 pm

I'm calling you out here a lot more than I'm intending to, and to be honest, it's not purposeful. I'm fairly certain I'm one of about three TLSers that doesn't hate you, and I intend to keep things that way, really. But when you give advice that some innocent unregistered guest that doesn't know about your almost-legendary trolling attempts will pick up and run with, it makes it very difficult to not speak up in kind, especially when you've been nothing but completely abrasive from the get-go.

I apologize again if I sound overly harsh. I legitimately hope you become an attorney, not just for my own selfish reasons, but so that you can enjoy a long and interesting career as a graduate from a top school. :)

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:41 pm

BlaqBella wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:Megmc, whatever you identify yourself as is what you should check off. Good luck in your cycle.

Well that's very nice.

Also, do you want to get into the T14 or not? I had major issues with the bump and I still do from time to time, but if you can (at least one quarter URM) take it, why wouldn't you?

megmc

Postby megmc » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:01 pm

A T-14 would be awesome obviously, but if it came down to a lower tiered one such as GTor NW, Id prefer UCLA or USC just because I have strong LA ties and ultimately aim to practice and live in Los Angeles. What do you mean you had an issue with the bump? Sorry a bit confused by that

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:19 pm

megmc wrote:A T-14 would be awesome obviously, but if it came down to a lower tiered one such as GTor NW, Id prefer UCLA or USC just because I have strong LA ties and ultimately aim to practice and live in Los Angeles. What do you mean you had an issue with the bump? Sorry a bit confused by that

I was replying more to BlaqBella than to you. BlaqBella was saying to write down whichever you identify with most. I was saying, even if you identify as European and only as European, this isn't the f**king Disney channel. If you are at least one quarter of African descent, take it and run. It's great to know who you are and all that, but in this economy, the higher your school is on the food chain, the better. Period.

megmc

Postby megmc » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:48 pm

cheers to that, yea I am actually exactly a quarter and have been there, visited family, always been in touch with my roots so I forshure don't feel sketchy about doing it

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:03 pm

megmc wrote:cheers to that, yea I am actually exactly a quarter and have been there, visited family, always been in touch with my roots so I forshure don't feel sketchy about doing it

I mean, not to be that guy, but I am half, and people have mistaken me as all Black my entire life. No one has ever confused me for being all white.

megmc

Postby megmc » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:46 pm

eh im mixed as well and nobody could ever tell what I am either..I like it, I can also fit in most anywhere

Return to “Choosing a Law School”