Pitt?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JayJones78

Pitt?

Postby JayJones78 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:53 am

So after getting yet another pretty postcard from Pitt I started looking at them and maybe apply as a safe school (LSAC fee waiver here) to add to the long list of schools that I already applied off. I mainly focused on 14-50 schools so I was thinking this could be a safer option for me (my LSN is here with all my stats an updated apps).

Any other advice I can get on pitt? I checked out Law school transparency and read a bunch here and other places and it appears it's a good choice if you wish to stay in the Pittsburg area as Pitt graduates do fairly well there. Would like to hear other thoughts about the school.

Thanks!!

stillwater

Re: Pitt?

Postby stillwater » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:29 pm

You probably should only go to Pitt on a full ride. The job you get out of Pitt is probably going to be for not a lot (think 40K as a good outcome). Also, if it works out, expect not to leave Pittsburgh with that degree, shit don't travel.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:47 pm

stillwater wrote:You probably should only go to Pitt on a full ride. The job you get out of Pitt is probably going to be for not a lot (think 40K as a good outcome). Also, if it works out, expect not to leave Pittsburgh with that degree, shit don't travel.

I agree with that. Same as with other regional schools I expect the degree to not travel well. What I read here however is that unlike other regional schools the prospects of getting a job within Pittsburg is fairly good and that there are not many schools that Pitt grads compete with in the region (unlike for example going to a lower ranked school in Boston/DC/NYC for example).

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:54 pm

Pitt is definitely very well regarded in the Pittsburgh area; if you're from the Pittsburgh area, plan on working and living there, and can get a ton of scholarship money then I think it's a solid bet. Having connections is also very helpful. The problem is that while Pittsburgh has weathered the financial downturn better than a lot of cities, it still isn't a rosy picture, and the jobs just may not be there. I would consider ties, connections, and scholarship money to be prerequisites to attend Pitt, but if you have those then you could definitely do worse

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:12 pm

moonman157 wrote:Pitt is definitely very well regarded in the Pittsburgh area; if you're from the Pittsburgh area, plan on working and living there, and can get a ton of scholarship money then I think it's a solid bet. Having connections is also very helpful. The problem is that while Pittsburgh has weathered the financial downturn better than a lot of cities, it still isn't a rosy picture, and the jobs just may not be there. I would consider ties, connections, and scholarship money to be prerequisites to attend Pitt, but if you have those then you could definitely do worse

Thanks for this. I don't have any ties to the area and don't know anything about Pitt other than what I saw on Queer As Fold (yes, I'm old :roll: but it's a cool show. Google it)I'm coming from seattle but not applying to any seattle schools since I think their degrees travel badly (even UW IMHO) and the legal market is over saturated. You agree? (Just a general off topic I guess).

Any other thoughts about the school itself?

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:13 pm

If you think degrees from Seattle schools don't travel, what do you think a Pitt degree does? Ties may be a problem. Amurica has long been suspicious of the outsider tryna steal a piece of the local's pie.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:24 pm

stillwater wrote:If you think degrees from Seattle schools don't travel, what do you think a Pitt degree does? Ties may be a problem. Amurica has long been suspicious of the outsider tryna steal a piece of the local's pie.

The difference is that at this point I have no desire to live in seattle long term. I would be okay living in Pittsburg over seattle as I'm in general hoping to get back to the north east

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:29 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
stillwater wrote:If you think degrees from Seattle schools don't travel, what do you think a Pitt degree does? Ties may be a problem. Amurica has long been suspicious of the outsider tryna steal a piece of the local's pie.

The difference is that at this point I have no desire to live in seattle long term. I would be okay living in Pittsburg over seattle as I'm in general hoping to get back to the north east

Then why wouldn't you actually go to school in the Northeast?

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:34 pm

stillwater wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:

Then why wouldn't you actually go to school in the Northeast?

I may. I applied to a lot of schools so we'll see. I was interested in hearing opinions about Pitt in general to decide if to throw an app there.

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:35 pm

I would be weary of Pitt if you you don't have ties and/or connections to and in the city. Pitt is a very solid option for those from Pittsburgh with good connections on scholarship; I was going to go there if I didn't have the numbers for the T14 because I definitely think it's a better school than its ranking and LSAT/GPA numbers indicate, but that's for those with those three things.

Love Queer as Folk though :) hope this helps!

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:42 pm

moonman157 wrote:I would be weary of Pitt if you you don't have ties and/or connections to and in the city. Pitt is a very solid option for those from Pittsburgh with good connections on scholarship; I was going to go there if I didn't have the numbers for the T14 because I definitely think it's a better school than its ranking and LSAT/GPA numbers indicate, but that's for those with those three things.

Love Queer as Folk though :) hope this helps!

Great show right?!

Anyhow, nice I literally have no ties anywhere I will have the same issue with any school I go to other than T14 (which I will get into only if a bright light will appear and help me. Check out my LSN. Still praying though :wink: ) so I can't take that into account really cause it will mean I won't go anywhere

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:47 pm

sorry didn't read most the thread, but saw that someone was saying that OP might get a full ride at pitt. That's not going to happen regardless of stats unless OP is a URM. Last cycle I received the only full ride that Pitt gives so I know from experience. I turned it down. However, they will give a lot of aid just not a full ride. Pitt likes to spread the wealth around to everyone. HTH

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:54 pm

Check out this thread, ties are key

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=178938&hilit=National

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:01 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:Check out this thread, ties are key

If ties are key then I'm out at any school that is not T14 or even T6. I have NO ties anywhere.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:03 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:sorry didn't read most the thread, but saw that someone was saying that OP might get a full ride at pitt. That's not going to happen regardless of stats unless OP is a URM. Last cycle I received the only full ride that Pitt gives so I know from experience. I turned it down. However, they will give a lot of aid just not a full ride. Pitt likes to spread the wealth around to everyone. HTH

Thanks for your advice. I am a URM. My cycle is well documented in my LSN page (listed in my profile)

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:42 pm

JayJones78 wrote:

If ties are key then I'm out at any school that is not T14 or even T6. I have NO ties anywhere.

What about moving somewhere for a few years to establish ties?

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:46 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:

We should teach all americans to regard all other americans as brothers in one country, living and dreaming, working and creaming together

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:00 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:

No chance of that happening. I'm already too old for school. :oops:

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:05 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:

No chance of that happening. I'm already too old for school. :oops:

There are plenty of people in their 30s in law school. Retake and go to a NYC feeding school.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:11 pm

I can't retake until dec13 and as of now waiting a cycle out is not an option.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:33 am

Current 3L @ Pitt. I wouldn't come to Pitt unless you had a half ride and DEFINITELY wanted to work in Pittsburgh after law school. Previous ties don't seem to matter as much as some former posters made it out to be. While Pittsburgh is very insular, most employers see attending Pitt as a sign that you want to stay here. I have not seen a big difference between people with ties vs. people without ties who also attend Pitt unless personal connections played a role. If you want to work in the Northeast I would absolutely NOT recommend attending Pitt. I don't know of any people (LR included) who have NE jobs lined up except for those who have good ties/connections getting them those jobs over there. If you're Northeast bound you need to find a school in the region and go there (or retake and go to any T14 not named GULC).

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:00 am

BarbellDreams wrote:Current 3L @ Pitt. I wouldn't come to Pitt unless you had a half ride and DEFINITELY wanted to work in Pittsburgh after law school. Previous ties don't seem to matter as much as some former posters made it out to be. While Pittsburgh is very insular, most employers see attending Pitt as a sign that you want to stay here. I have not seen a big difference between people with ties vs. people without ties who also attend Pitt unless personal connections played a role. If you want to work in the Northeast I would absolutely NOT recommend attending Pitt. I don't know of any people (LR included) who have NE jobs lined up except for those who have good ties/connections getting them those jobs over there. If you're Northeast bound you need to find a school in the region and go there (or retake and go to any T14 not named GULC).

Thanks for this. I am not northeast bound at all. I really have no set preference for any region. I like the northeast but I would be just as happy living in NC if I go to UNC for example. Since I really have no ties anywhere the discussion of where I end up living baiscally sums as to where I end up going to law school (unless I end up in a t14 school and I don't think it'll happen unless a miracle comes).

How do you like the school? What are the pro and cons in your opinion and what made you choose it? How's Pittsburg in general (coming after living in seattle for about 5 years)?

Thanks!

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:20 am

Another 3L at Pitt here. I've had good interviews at firms outside Pittsburgh, although I am from the areas where I interviewed. Not being from this area, I've got a job lined up here well above the "40-60k" range. While I will be working for a firm which is typically Pittsburgh centric, I know with a large degree of confidence that I got dinged for an SA here because I didn't have enough ties to the area. You can make your own way if you have decent to good grades and are in a niche legal market (I'm a patent guy) and are willing to hustle. If you're looking to come to Pittsburgh and leave for DC or NY, something like that, you're probably gonna have a bad time.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:20 am

How do you not have ties? You didn't graduate from high school in the United States?

Also you definitely have ties to Washington, you might want to consider your non-Washington stance if you want to be a lawyer. Or wait and retake and go to a T14.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:30 am

JayJones78 wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:sorry didn't read most the thread, but saw that someone was saying that OP might get a full ride at pitt. That's not going to happen regardless of stats unless OP is a URM. Last cycle I received the only full ride that Pitt gives so I know from experience. I turned it down. However, they will give a lot of aid just not a full ride. Pitt likes to spread the wealth around to everyone. HTH

Thanks for your advice. I am a URM. My cycle is well documented in my LSN page (listed in my profile)

His point is, unless you get the one full-ride, merit aid maxes out at a half ride.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”