Another "Where should I go?" Help out here guys!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which Law School Should I Choose?

American (scholarship unknown)
3%
Campbell ($17,000 scholarship)
No votes
Catholic ($18,500 scholarship)
3%
Samford (haven't heard yet, but expect 1/2+ scholarship)
3%
UNC (in-state sticker)
72%
South Carolina (haven't heard yet, but expect 1/2+ scholarship)
No votes
Wake Forest (sticker)
7%
William & Mary (sticker)
10%

Total votes: 58

Tiago Splitter

Re: Another "Where should I go?" Help out here guys!

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:27 am

Wakelaw15 wrote:
nebula666 wrote:UNC isn't a bad option if you are a resident. They only place 13% in Biglaw but the 42% working in private firms are making over $100k on average. You should retake for some better options, but UNC is faaaar better than the other options you have listed.

I looked closely at UNC's employment stats before choosing a law school, and this is definitely untrue. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but the proportion making 100k or more is somewhere between 13-20% of the class, and I think its at most 14/15%.

I think this is one of those "median salary over 100K 40% of people in private practice reporting" situations. Don't attend a school that does this.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:28 am

Reading comp fail? 42% making 100K on average is not the same thing as 42% making >100K.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:31 am

ndirish2010 wrote:Reading comp fail? 42% making 100K on average is not the same thing as 42% making >100K.

Even this reading is too optimistic.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=unc&show=sals

PickMe!

Postby PickMe! » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:01 pm

Even this reading is too optimistic.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=unc&show=sals

+1

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:05 pm

booknook wrote:I've been accepted from the places above with the specified scholarships. I'm still waiting to here back from Richmond, but I think that'll I'll be in at sticker price.

Here's the deal. My grandparents are giving me $14,000 a year for law school, and my parents are willing to pay the remainder plus living expenses. I will be paying my parents back, although it won't be a typical loan (will not have set due dates, interest, etc.). So attending a school at sticker isn't as big of a cost as it could be. However, I obviously don't want to attend a really expensive school because a) I don't want to ask my parents to pay a large amount in tuition and b) I don't want a lot of "parent debt" when I graduate, if you will.

I'm fine practicing in any of the states where the law schools are located, so I won't be trying to take my degree across state lines. I'm from NC and have very strong connections there as well as strong connections in SC.

Each of the scholarships listed are per year. The stips aren't bad for any of them, and I expect to be able to get more money from the lower-ranked schools (Campbell, Samford).

Oh, and I am not retaking. Call me stubborn. So please don't advise that.

What do you all think?

Not that USNWR is even an important consideration, but it used to be much higher ranked. It fell because of the state's emphasis on getting more in-state applicants. Their business school is great, and law school is only outperformed by Duke. Given the options in your poll, this really isn't even close. You have UNC, which is genuinely a good law school (for value, employment, etc) and then you have all these other schools which will be both more expensive (some much more expensive) and have worse employment outcomes. Add to that that you have "strong ties" in the area, and this is really a no-brainer.

Still, you should try to negotiate for some aid at UNC. If they don't bite, you're no worse for wear. If they do, simply asking could be worth $10k or more. In most situations, retake is always the best option, but UNC even at in-state sticker is a good option.

Most of the other schools on this list have abysmal employment prospects and much higher COA.

Even if cost was not a factor at all in your decision (and it should be), UNC would be the top choice from that list. The fact that it will be also the cheapest makes it solidly a no-brainer.

twenty

Postby twenty » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:11 pm

This is mind-boggling. You're a URM with a 3.3-3.4, and you won't retake what's probably in the high 150's? A 166-168, which can be achieved with a very, very minimal amount of studying, has gotten folks significant money in the T14.

Instead of "waaah, not retaking because it's too hard! ;_;", sit down and do some actual thinking here. A mid to high 160's score will get you far better money at a school that gives you significantly better exit options in terms of actual... you know, jobs.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/hx3

Her GPA is probably worse than yours, and her LSAT is 166, which can basically be achieved through LG drilling alone. Plus, you're probably an AA male, so your URM boost would be slightly better. Also, she way under-shot on her apps.

She has her choice between several full ride scholarships and several more 2/3+ scholarships at schools that are drastically better than any school on your list.

If you're actually going to pay your parents back (which will be fairly difficult coming out of Samford, etc), figure that by sitting out this cycle, studying, and retaking, you will be earning/saving/whatever over 100k in the short-term, and 400k-2m in the long-term.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:29 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:If you're actually going to pay your parents back (which will be fairly difficult coming out of Samford, etc), figure that by sitting out this cycle, studying, and retaking, you will be earning/saving/whatever over 100k in the short-term, and 400k-2m in the long-term.

OP, this really is great advice and you should strongly consider retaking. But if you absolutely can't be convinced, please don't choose any school on that list other than UNC.

uvabro

Postby uvabro » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:35 pm

i'd go to campbell because it is a great soup, and a great law school.

Dog

Postby Dog » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:35 am

I'm just going to echo everybody else and say pick UNC if you absolutely refuse to retake, and even then... retake.

booknook

Postby booknook » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:48 pm

OP here. Thanks for the wonderful response everybody. I figured that, behind retake, UNC was going to be the top choice. I also meant to mention in the original post that I would like to work in PI. I am not interested in biglaw. Since UNC has such a good law PI program and I will be able to graduate with low debt, I am planning on attending there. Again, thanks for all of the input.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”