U of A job placements in CA

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: U of A job placements in CA

Postby BearsGrl » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:40 pm

dingbat wrote:^So Pepperdine and UCI are peers now, but Pepperdine is not a great school while UCI is?

LA and OC are very different places, but that doesn't mean people who attend UCLA/USC don't want to live in OC. Would you say people who attend Yale don't want to live outside Connecticut? The simple fact is, people from OC who want to go to a good local law school should look to attend UCLA/USC who are the powerhouses of southern California.

One thing you need to keep in mind is that lay prestige does not translate into employment prospects, so while UCI has a great name, legal hiring doesn't see the school the same way.

I'll keep silent about your friend who went to Chapman, but with regards to your comment that most law schools don't have solid employment stats, the trick is how schools do relative to each other (or at least to schools in the same region)


Do you work in HR for an LA law firm? Obviously USC/UCLA is going to be better than UC-I but UC-I is still a solid school, as an in-state person if you're interested in the LA/SD market. No one will convince me otherwise.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: U of A job placements in CA

Postby BearsGrl » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:45 pm

dtl wrote:Figure my experience might be useful anecdotal information here.


I grew up in California and wanted to end up here. Unfortunately my grades and LSAT were not up to snuff as far as the top CA schools were concerned. After applying nearly everywhere I decided that the U of Arizona was a better bet compared to the schools in CA I got into (USD and Loyola). My reasoning was partly that I was hoping to transfer back, and knew that the better the school I went to the easier transferring was and partly that I figured if I ended up staying at the U of Arizona the job prospects in Arizona were good enough that it may be possible to do my dues in Arizona at a mid-big firm and try to move back to CA laterally.

My first semester at the U of Arizona netted me a 3.898. Happy with this I started looking all over southern california for a 1L summer job. The fact that I was from the U of A made this much, much harder and the job prospects in Arizona were extremely tempting. There were lots and lots of rejections, and the lack of a career office well versed with California was crippling. Despite this, I ended up doing very well my second semester and getting a summer gig at a large Los Angeles based public interest firm. Still, this was not quite what I wanted regardless of how great the experience was. I applied as a transfer throughout california and ended up getting accepted at UCLA - which is where I now go.

OCI at UCLA with a 3.8 from U of Arizona was a fucking catastrophe. I completely struck out. I may not be the best interviewer in the world but I am at least average. Employers in California simply did not want a transfer student when there were such great pickings from top schools in the state and so few jobs to go around. Given that my compatriots in Arizona with lower GPA's and rankings than me were getting very good jobs in Arizona stung a bit, but at the end of the day my family is in Los Angeles and that is important to me.

I just got my grades back from UCLA and did well enough that I think I have a shot at finding a summer job. Still, who the hell knows? I lucked out in the fact that I was able to transfer and last year, even with the impending transfer, UCLA OCI (which blows away U of A's) and a high U of A GPA I was unable to land anything firm based. I am sure a pure U of A grad would have an even harder time.

Not sure if this answers your question or even helps you but given I was in your situation I figured it may be worthwhile to type out. The U of A is an awesome school with a great faculty who really gives a shit and spends time with each student. The personal touches and student/professor interaction that I got used to at the U of A are almost entirely absent at UCLA. If you are not dead set on California it is not a bad choice in and of itself.


This is one of my favorite posts that I have read on TLS. I think it is one of the most well-written and sincerely applies the most to OP's concern. Good job!

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: U of A job placements in CA

Postby BearsGrl » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:47 pm

dtl wrote:Also for those who think that Orange County is somehow insulated from UCLA and USC graduates - that just is no longer the case. When people are hungry and want to stay in So. Cal. Orange County looks pretty damned awesome. Irvine very likely has a geographical advantage, but you are still competing with UCLA and USC.


I also agree with this. I am not saying that I think that USC/UCLA folks don't try for other Southern areas of CA. I am just saying that the person who is deciding between going to school in LA vs. OC has different lifestyle changes to consider overall. I love OC. It is vastly, in my opinion, better than LA. Hence, why I would think UC-I would be a solid choice for someone from CA if you were dead-set on CA.

User avatar
cahwc12
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: U of A job placements in CA

Postby cahwc12 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:55 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
dingbat wrote:^So Pepperdine and UCI are peers now, but Pepperdine is not a great school while UCI is?

LA and OC are very different places, but that doesn't mean people who attend UCLA/USC don't want to live in OC. Would you say people who attend Yale don't want to live outside Connecticut? The simple fact is, people from OC who want to go to a good local law school should look to attend UCLA/USC who are the powerhouses of southern California.

One thing you need to keep in mind is that lay prestige does not translate into employment prospects, so while UCI has a great name, legal hiring doesn't see the school the same way.

I'll keep silent about your friend who went to Chapman, but with regards to your comment that most law schools don't have solid employment stats, the trick is how schools do relative to each other (or at least to schools in the same region)


Do you work in HR for an LA law firm? Obviously USC/UCLA is going to be better than UC-I but UC-I is still a solid school, as an in-state person if you're interested in the LA/SD market. No one will convince me otherwise.


Not even this guy?

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=irvine

That's not scary at all?

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: U of A job placements in CA

Postby BearsGrl » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:59 pm

cahwc12 wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
dingbat wrote:^So Pepperdine and UCI are peers now, but Pepperdine is not a great school while UCI is?

LA and OC are very different places, but that doesn't mean people who attend UCLA/USC don't want to live in OC. Would you say people who attend Yale don't want to live outside Connecticut? The simple fact is, people from OC who want to go to a good local law school should look to attend UCLA/USC who are the powerhouses of southern California.

One thing you need to keep in mind is that lay prestige does not translate into employment prospects, so while UCI has a great name, legal hiring doesn't see the school the same way.

I'll keep silent about your friend who went to Chapman, but with regards to your comment that most law schools don't have solid employment stats, the trick is how schools do relative to each other (or at least to schools in the same region)


Do you work in HR for an LA law firm? Obviously USC/UCLA is going to be better than UC-I but UC-I is still a solid school, as an in-state person if you're interested in the LA/SD market. No one will convince me otherwise.


Not even this guy?

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=irvine

That's not scary at all?


Job placement for all law schools, in general, is going to be risky. The only reason I considered going to law school right now was because I have the ability to sell real estate that my family owns. There is no reason that going to law school right now is a solid career path. I think the legal industry needs a few more years to cycle out people and/or the boomers need to retire.

The debt risk would seriously make me nervous unless you were going to a public law school or the T-14, but even the T-14 doesn't seem to be this given.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: U of A job placements in CA

Postby dingbat » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:55 pm

BearsGrl wrote:Obviously USC/UCLA is going to be better than UC-I but UC-I is still a solid school, as an in-state person if you're interested in the LA/SD market. No onelogic or common sense will convince me otherwise.

As Good As It Gets wrote: I think of a man, and I take away reason and accountability

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: U of A job placements in CA

Postby BearsGrl » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:01 pm

dingbat wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:Obviously USC/UCLA is going to be better than UC-I but UC-I is still a solid school, as an in-state person if you're interested in the LA/SD market. No onelogic or common sense will convince me otherwise.

As Good As It Gets wrote: I think of a man, and I take away reason and accountability


Like I said, I've worked in both counties. I'm using my knowledge from my actual experience. People can do what they want.

calicali
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:41 am

Re: U of A job placements in CA

Postby calicali » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:04 am

dtl wrote:Figure my experience might be useful anecdotal information here.


I grew up in California and wanted to end up here. Unfortunately my grades and LSAT were not up to snuff as far as the top CA schools were concerned. After applying nearly everywhere I decided that the U of Arizona was a better bet compared to the schools in CA I got into (USD and Loyola). My reasoning was partly that I was hoping to transfer back, and knew that the better the school I went to the easier transferring was and partly that I figured if I ended up staying at the U of Arizona the job prospects in Arizona were good enough that it may be possible to do my dues in Arizona at a mid-big firm and try to move back to CA laterally.

My first semester at the U of Arizona netted me a 3.898. Happy with this I started looking all over southern california for a 1L summer job. The fact that I was from the U of A made this much, much harder and the job prospects in Arizona were extremely tempting. There were lots and lots of rejections, and the lack of a career office well versed with California was crippling. Despite this, I ended up doing very well my second semester and getting a summer gig at a large Los Angeles based public interest firm. Still, this was not quite what I wanted regardless of how great the experience was. I applied as a transfer throughout california and ended up getting accepted at UCLA - which is where I now go.

OCI at UCLA with a 3.8 from U of Arizona was a fucking catastrophe. I completely struck out. I may not be the best interviewer in the world but I am at least average. Employers in California simply did not want a transfer student when there were such great pickings from top schools in the state and so few jobs to go around. Given that my compatriots in Arizona with lower GPA's and rankings than me were getting very good jobs in Arizona stung a bit, but at the end of the day my family is in Los Angeles and that is important to me.

I just got my grades back from UCLA and did well enough that I think I have a shot at finding a summer job. Still, who the hell knows? I lucked out in the fact that I was able to transfer and last year, even with the impending transfer, UCLA OCI (which blows away U of A's) and a high U of A GPA I was unable to land anything firm based. I am sure a pure U of A grad would have an even harder time.

Not sure if this answers your question or even helps you but given I was in your situation I figured it may be worthwhile to type out. The U of A is an awesome school with a great faculty who really gives a shit and spends time with each student. The personal touches and student/professor interaction that I got used to at the U of A are almost entirely absent at UCLA. If you are not dead set on California it is not a bad choice in and of itself.



Thank you so much for taking the time to write this post. This is why I started this thread, hoping that I would get a response from someone that had real insight on the situation. I really want a good legal education; personal attention from the professors and the like. I mean, if I'm dishing out all this $$, that's a realistic expectation, right? I am genuinely interested in the law and I want to personally grow while in law school. Your post made me reflect both on the possibility of transferring and also the feasibility of getting a job in CA post graduation. I have a lot to think about. I just wanted you to know that you have been very, very helpful.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest