NU AJD admits' #s are not reported for ranking purposes?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

NU AJD admits' #s are not reported for ranking purposes?

Postby JayJones78 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:19 pm

I read somewhere that the AJD admits are not 'counted' for NU's reports for its admitted students for rankings. I was wondering if someone knows anything about that.

The class profile definitely shows that the numbers of the admitted students are much lower than the average NU admit which gives this some merit, plus the fact that they are admitting some students based on their GMAT and not LSAT score.

Anyone here knows more?
Thanks.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: NU AJD admits' #s are not reported for ranking purposes?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:42 pm

They may be around it because they join the class when transfers do. Hmmm, I wonder.

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: NU AJD admits' #s are not reported for ranking purposes?

Postby JayJones78 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:57 pm

Desert Fox wrote:They may be around it because they join the class when transfers do. Hmmm, I wonder.


Good point. The start of the first 'year' is around the end of may and when the academic year starts you're basically considered a 2L.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: NU AJD admits' #s are not reported for ranking purposes?

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:07 pm

aren't the rankings based on graduating class and these guys are members of a class that has already been "ranked?"

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: NU AJD admits' #s are not reported for ranking purposes?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:08 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:They may be around it because they join the class when transfers do. Hmmm, I wonder.


Good point. The start of the first 'year' is around the end of may and when the academic year starts you're basically considered a 2L.


And the data may just not be available when the ABA collects it. If the ABA ask for the information in Oct. or Nov. there is no way to answer it.

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: NU AJD admits' #s are not reported for ranking purposes?

Postby JayJones78 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:15 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:aren't the rankings based on graduating class and these guys are members of a class that has already been "ranked?"


I don't know. I was under the impression that the ranking of each year is based on the entering class, otherwise how will it reflect the 2011-12 academic year (or any other) if the ranking of that year is based on the class that just graduated? But I don't know much about the ranking process. I do think that the AJD is kind of a special case.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: NU AJD admits' #s are not reported for ranking purposes?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:16 pm

They release the medians for the program and it's almost always identical to the regular program.

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: NU AJD admits' #s are not reported for ranking purposes?

Postby JayJones78 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:18 pm

Desert Fox wrote:They release the medians for the program and it's almost always identical to the regular program.


Not according this this:

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... ofile.html (AJD)

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... ofile.html (3yrJD)

I think that the GPA is definitely lower and the middle 50% for the LSAT also seems lower. Tey are also not releasing any 25th-75th info for entering AJDs

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: NU AJD admits' #s are not reported for ranking purposes?

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:45 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:aren't the rankings based on graduating class and these guys are members of a class that has already been "ranked?"


I don't know. I was under the impression that the ranking of each year is based on the entering class, otherwise how will it reflect the 2011-12 academic year (or any other) if the ranking of that year is based on the class that just graduated? But I don't know much about the ranking process. I do think that the AJD is kind of a special case.

I mean that this year's ranking will be based on c/o 2015, but since these guys are c/o 2014, they have a loophole.

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: NU AJD admits' #s are not reported for ranking purposes?

Postby JayJones78 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:54 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:aren't the rankings based on graduating class and these guys are members of a class that has already been "ranked?"


I don't know. I was under the impression that the ranking of each year is based on the entering class, otherwise how will it reflect the 2011-12 academic year (or any other) if the ranking of that year is based on the class that just graduated? But I don't know much about the ranking process. I do think that the AJD is kind of a special case.

I mean that this year's ranking will be based on c/o 2015, but since these guys are c/o 2014, they have a loophole.


I see. Have you heard about this issue as well?

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: NU AJD admits' #s are not reported for ranking purposes?

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:03 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:aren't the rankings based on graduating class and these guys are members of a class that has already been "ranked?"


I don't know. I was under the impression that the ranking of each year is based on the entering class, otherwise how will it reflect the 2011-12 academic year (or any other) if the ranking of that year is based on the class that just graduated? But I don't know much about the ranking process. I do think that the AJD is kind of a special case.

I mean that this year's ranking will be based on c/o 2015, but since these guys are c/o 2014, they have a loophole.


I see. Have you heard about this issue as well?

No, I'm just speculating. And the data in your post above doesn't actually mean anything necessarily. Showing ranges may mean nothing WRT the median.

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: NU AJD admits' #s are not reported for ranking purposes?

Postby JayJones78 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:14 pm

You don't think it mean that the threshold for the AJD admit is lower than that of the traditional 3 year JD admit?

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: NU AJD admits' #s are not reported for ranking purposes?

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:35 am

JayJones78 wrote:You don't think it mean that the threshold for the AJD admit is lower than that of the traditional 3 year JD admit?

while the middle 50% is slightly higher for 3yrs than 2yrs, it's plausible that the medians are the same.

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: NU AJD admits' #s are not reported for ranking purposes?

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:34 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:You don't think it mean that the threshold for the AJD admit is lower than that of the traditional 3 year JD admit?

while the middle 50% is slightly higher for 3yrs than 2yrs, it's plausible that the medians are the same.


I think the biggest thing is there so much less applications sent to this prog. Last year they had 100 apps and admitted 38, you can't even compare that to the ratio of app/admits that the 3yr JD has. In general I don't think it's a huge difference in numbers but it's definitely a lower threshold IMHO.

I am still wondering if the numbers of the AJD admits get reported or not :roll:

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: NU AJD admits' #s are not reported for ranking purposes?

Postby bdubs » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:11 am

JayJones78 wrote:I am still wondering if the numbers of the AJD admits get reported or not :roll:


My guess is that you heard that because they admit some people with only a GMAT and no LSAT. Those people are not included in the ABA reports as far as I know. I assume that those who have an LSAT and submit through LSDAS are included.

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: NU AJD admits' #s are not reported for ranking purposes?

Postby JayJones78 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:31 am

bdubs wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:I am still wondering if the numbers of the AJD admits get reported or not :roll:


My guess is that you heard that because they admit some people with only a GMAT and no LSAT. Those people are not included in the ABA reports as far as I know. I assume that those who have an LSAT and submit through LSDAS are included.


Perhaps.. I still hold my view that in general the AJD admits hold lower LSAT and GPAs than the 3yr one




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Tiago Splitter and 1 guest