Mercer Reputation/Atmosphere questions

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
maybemercer

Mercer Reputation/Atmosphere questions

Postby maybemercer » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:47 am

Hello all. After reading every thread I could find on Mercer Law, I find myself in need of additional information. I am curious about how Mercer is regarded in the Atlanta market. I have a family member who is employed in Atlanta as a judge and their opinion is Mercer is an excellent law school.

Other questions and concerns
What is the atmosphere at Mercer (trad, prep, etc)
Does Mercer offer student housing
From a URM perspective, are minorities tokens or integrated into the community
What is Macon like (atmosphere)
Do the country clubs have a minority presence (I like playing golf)

I am confident I will be accepted to Ole Miss Law and I enjoy the small atmosphere and southern prep feel. Living in MS, Ole Miss is regarded as the pinnacle of Mississippi education. Provided Mercer has a similar atmosphere and reputation to Ole Miss, I rather go to Mercer to live and work in Atlanta.

Any assistance from fellow TLSers who have lived or visited Mercer is greatly appreciated.

atcushman

Re: Mercer Reputation/Atmosphere questions

Postby atcushman » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:52 am

Questions you should be asking

What are job prospects like for grads of Mercer?
How much debt will I be incurring?
How soon should I retake the LSAT?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:55 am

You should be a lot less concerned with the "feel" of campus and more concerned with your odds of getting a job to pay off that $200K+ in debt.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... class=2011

About half the class got jobs at private firms, but fully half of those jobs are at firms of 10 or fewer lawyers. That's either shitlaw or desperate unemployed classmates banding together to start a new firm with no capital and no book of business.

Is a 25% shot at a decent job good enough? Your call.

Ole Miss' stats are slightly worse, but it's also significantly less expensive (about half the cost of Mercer if you get in-state tuition).

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... &show=NALP
Last edited by rinkrat19 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:57 am

maybemercer wrote:I have a family member who is employed in Atlanta as a judge and their opinion is Mercer is an excellent law school.

Do NOT take law school advice from shitboomers.

Honestly the above statement should replace the warning about illegal prep materials on the top of the forum.

maybemercer

Postby maybemercer » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:01 am

atcushman wrote:Questions you should be asking

I've asked those.

Firm or Gov (Nepo)
Zero- Vet
Retaking in Feb

Without the burden of debt because of my contributions to the USA, I am considering all options. Furthermore, I perform better academically in a smaller atmosphere which Ole Miss and Mercer provide.

atcushman

Postby atcushman » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:05 am

maybemercer wrote:
atcushman wrote:Questions you should be asking

I've asked those.

Firm or Gov (Nepo)
Zero- Vet
Retaking in Feb

Without the burden of debt because of my contributions to the USA, I am considering all options. Furthermore, I perform better academically in a smaller atmosphere which Ole Miss and Mercer provide.

God I was really looking forward to seeing ppl troll the shit out of this but I cant now. Thank you for your service! and in all honesty retake the LSAT. With a decent score, urm status, and your softs you can do better.

maybemercer

Postby maybemercer » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:06 am

IAFG wrote:Do NOT take law school advice from shitboomers.

I LOLed. This is probably the second best advice given on TLS...right behind retake.

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:16 am

IAFG wrote:
maybemercer wrote:I have a family member who is employed in Atlanta as a judge and their opinion is Mercer is an excellent law school.

Do NOT take law school advice from shitboomers.

Honestly the above statement should replace the warning about illegal prep materials on the top of the forum.

So much this, especially family members. I wonder how many end up screwed ITE because they follow advice from shitboomer relatives.

maybemercer

Postby maybemercer » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:21 am

I am still interested in their atmosphere...even if they are not my target school.

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:23 am

maybemercer wrote:I am still interested in their atmosphere...even if they are not my target school.

Visit?

WanderingPondering

Postby WanderingPondering » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:03 am

Please dont go. If you can't get in to uga/Emory/ga state, you don't need to be in law school In Georgia. Atlanta is already very competitive. And Mercer is so so far behind the other schools that makes it insane if you want to get to Atlanta. If you are fine doing DUI law in warner Robbins then go for it.

If you are urm, you probably need like a 158 to get into ga state. You obviously can do that.

And Macon is a shit hole anyway.

Edit: autocorrect is dumb.
Last edited by WanderingPondering on Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:37 am

WanderingPondering wrote:If you are fine doing DUI law in warner Robbins then go for it.

I have a friend that went there and this is what he does. He said the entire time there everyone was in full-on panic mode because they got tricked into going by the great legal writing program or some similar bullshit. Hardly anyone was able to get jobs or transfer out and they ended up sitting in a replica of Independence Hall for three years. Don't do it.

PickMe!

Postby PickMe! » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:46 am

WanderingPondering wrote:Please doing go. If you can't get in to uga/Emory/ga state, you don't need to begin law school I'm Georgia. Atlanta is already very competitive. And Mercer is so so far behind the other schools that makes it insane if you want to get to Atlanta. If you are fine doing DUI law in warner Robbins then go for it.

This.

Cellar-door

Postby Cellar-door » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:47 pm

maybemercer wrote:Hello all. After reading every thread I could find on Mercer Law, I find myself in need of additional information. I am curious about how Mercer is regarded in the Atlanta market. I have a family member who is employed in Atlanta as a judge and their opinion is Mercer is an excellent law school.

Other questions and concerns
What is the atmosphere at Mercer (trad, prep, etc)
Does Mercer offer student housing
From a URM perspective, are minorities tokens or integrated into the community
What is Macon like (atmosphere)
Do the country clubs have a minority presence (I like playing golf)

I am confident I will be accepted to Ole Miss Law and I enjoy the small atmosphere and southern prep feel. Living in MS, Ole Miss is regarded as the pinnacle of Mississippi education. Provided Mercer has a similar atmosphere and reputation to Ole Miss, I rather go to Mercer to live and work in Atlanta.

Any assistance from fellow TLSers who have lived or visited Mercer is greatly appreciated.

Is it a federal judge who can guarantee to swing you a clerkship? If so do whatever helps you suck up the most. If not don't go to Mercer.

scruffy556

Postby scruffy556 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:03 pm

What are you really looking for with the small school vibe? I'm coming from a small school too, and liked the feel, but mercer law has 451 students and georgia state has 466 full time students. The only big difference is that gsu has a 10:1 student:faculty ratio and mercer has a 14:1.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:06 pm

Shitboomers are liars.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:19 pm

I hear Mercer students get first hand experience with homicide law

maybemercer

Postby maybemercer » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:24 pm

scruffy556 wrote:What are you really looking for with the small school vibe? I'm coming from a small school too, and liked the feel, but mercer law has 451 students and georgia state has 466 full time students. The only big difference is that gsu has a 10:1 student:faculty ratio and mercer has a 14:1.

I am specifically referring to the student:faculty ratio and location.

stillwater wrote:Shitboomers are liars.

My family member is actually a Gen Xer but still equally good advice.

Thanks for the help. This will is all be pretty irrelevant when I receive my acceptance from Howard.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:29 pm

maybemercer wrote:
scruffy556 wrote:What are you really looking for with the small school vibe? I'm coming from a small school too, and liked the feel, but mercer law has 451 students and georgia state has 466 full time students. The only big difference is that gsu has a 10:1 student:faculty ratio and mercer has a 14:1.

I am specifically referring to the student:faculty ratio and location.

stillwater wrote:Shitboomers are liars.

My family member is actually a Gen Xer but still equally good advice.

Thanks for the help. This will is all be pretty irrelevant when I receive my acceptance from Howard.
Still very relevant for Howard. The top of the class at Howard does very well. The rest of the class is a crapshoot with less than a 50% shot at a decent job.
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=howard&show=NALP

WanderingPondering

Postby WanderingPondering » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:54 pm

maybemercer wrote:

Are you serious???? This will all be irrelevant when you get accepted with money into a school worth attending.

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:20 pm

WanderingPondering wrote:
maybemercer wrote:

Are you serious???? This will all be irrelevant when you get accepted with money into a school worth attending.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:44 pm

All I know about Mercer is that a girl got murdered there (beheaded and they never found the head) by one of her classmates.

Cellar-door

Postby Cellar-door » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:05 pm

cinephile wrote:All I know about Mercer is that a girl got murdered there (beheaded and they never found the head) by one of her classmates.

Allegedly.

ehall20

Postby ehall20 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:49 pm

Last edited by ehall20 on Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:54 pm

uhhhh atmosphere/reputation = shitty.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”