importance of law school location on job opportunities

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
philly93

importance of law school location on job opportunities

Postby philly93 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:48 pm

from what i understand from the peers I talk to (and the boards) is that NYU and CLS are "safe" bets in terms of trying to find employment as they often get their students into the biglaw jobs in NYC area. I was wondering what other law schools have that kind of impact in the texas area, cali area and dc?

I figure HYS always makes a difference but what about the other t-14 schools?

sorry if this question has been asked already!

BigZuck

Re: importance of law school location on job opportunities

Postby BigZuck » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:54 am

The big state schools dominate these states (UT for Texas, Cal/UCLA/USC-private school but you get what I'm saying- dominate California). Haven't done much research on DC but I'm guessing GW and GULC are big feeders. Beyond these types of schools the T14 in general typically feeds in well because those are considered the national schools. Basically as long as you have ties to a region I would feel comfortable getting back there from any T14 (in b4 Bruce Wayne comes in and says something to the contrary).

If you go to lawschooltransparency.com there are geographical reports that show you which schools feed in the highest percentage in each state. Make sure you use some common sense though. For example La Verne is on there for California but Duke is not, meaning a higher percentage of the class at La Verne finds work in California than Duke kids. Still, if I wanted to be a lawyer in California I'd take my chances attending Duke rather than La Verne.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:01 am

Texas: UT
Cali: Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA, USC
DC: GULC, UVA, maybe Duke

The obvious ones.

philly93

Postby philly93 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:02 am

thanks for the input. i will definitely check out that website and see the break down.

gspiel1232

Postby gspiel1232 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:20 am

Bu/bc for the lower splitters like myself... Hopefully haha

Return to “Choosing a Law School”