Avoid uci (UC Irvine) law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
stratocophic

Re: Avoid uci (UC Irvine) law

Postby stratocophic » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:33 pm

bennettattack wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
dingbat wrote:
bennettattack wrote:T-20 school (because let's be real, T-20 status is why most of us wanted to come to UCI)

:shock: :arrow: :roll: :arrow: :lol: :arrow: :cry:
I do love me some UCI trolls. I'm going to have to come back to TLS and start bi-weekly point and laugh threads once they finally do get ranked and wind up as a T2

1) @Stratocophic: I actually go to UCI, which means my being on this post is entirely relevant. 2) It sounds to me like you are the troll.
1) check you multiple definitions of trolling
2) clever, surely the avatar didn't give it away

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:14 pm

stratocophic wrote:Besides, y'all apparently weren't here for the UCI rankings circlejerking that took place before the school opened, I shouldn't be too harsh

Can haz link pls? I'm honestly curious to see what the discussion was like back then, and I don't feel like using TLS' archaic excuse of a search function. Nowadays, virtually all I see here are biased UCI students who desperately want to justify their choice in law school, and biased TLSers who, despite having nothing to do with UCI, want to see it fail because...they want to be proven right on their declaration of UCI's inferiority? Or something? Even if they're completely right, I don't know why there's often such vitriol.

For reference, I know it's early in the cycle, but UCI is one of the few acceptances I have in my pocket so far, and I want to explore all my options, not just a desultory "TTT, retake." :?

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:26 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:
stratocophic wrote:Besides, y'all apparently weren't here for the UCI rankings circlejerking that took place before the school opened, I shouldn't be too harsh

Can haz link pls? I'm honestly curious to see what the discussion was like back then, and I don't feel like using TLS' archaic excuse of a search function. Nowadays, virtually all I see here are biased UCI students who desperately want to justify their choice in law school, and biased TLSers who, despite having nothing to do with UCI, want to see it fail because...they want to be proven right on their declaration of UCI's inferiority? Or something? Even if they're completely right, I don't know why there's often such vitriol.

For reference, I know it's early in the cycle, but UCI is one of the few acceptances I have in my pocket so far, and I want to explore all my options, not just a desultory "TTT, retake." :?

For issue 2, see issue 1.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:10 am

dingbat wrote:
bananasplit19 wrote:

For issue 2, see issue 1.
CR. There wasn't a more obnoxious group on the site at that point in time.

This is one of them (see eg the frustration by a large % of the participants with the topic)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=118066

DeusExCyber

Postby DeusExCyber » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:05 am

hume85 wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:Am I the only one who wondered about the quality of student at UCI after reading the posts from OP and DeusEx?

:lol: :lol:

LE GASP!!! You're right!!! I can't believe that two posts, one being a post from a troll and the other being a post that I wrote in less than 5 minutes during a Christmas party, are enough to persuade your guys' opinion on UCI Law. Besides enrolling at UCI Law, perhaps you guys can teach me how to use shallow analysis skills and unfathomable bias that are clearly demonstrated in your posts. I'm already imitating the same level of subtlety used within your snide remarks. :D

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:23 am

If you guys want to discuss UCI and things related to UCI, then by all means. But let's not turn this into snide bickering.

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:56 am

stratocophic wrote:http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=118066

As a (relatively) impartial observer, here's my takeaway from that discussion:

girlishoutline

Postby girlishoutline » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:37 am

romothesavior wrote:If you guys want to discuss UCI and things related to UCI, then by all means. But let's not turn this into snide bickering.

Oh, I thought we were all law students, and therefore obligated to be snide and off-topic.

Peter Parker

Postby Peter Parker » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:46 am

Hello This is Dean Chomirinski, I am from Harvard Law.
I think you should all attend this school for the beautiful student body and the ultra prestigious reputation. This is irvine we are talking about. I see beautiful white women and asian women all over campos. That alone makes the school worth it. Forget scholly money at other t14's and biglaw jerb rates. 250,000 in debt is nothing when you compare it to the fact that 3 years of the beautiful sights you see at this school and the coastal scenery you get, you dont get anywhere else. This is Dean Chomirinski by the way and I am from Harvard Law, just saying. Also, we are upcoming in the rankings, look at our clorkship rates for the past year, we are up there with HYS and every other shit school.

the new saying will be IYSH. "my dream schol is iysh". Also, our school is the only ONLY ONLY ONLY ONLY SCHOOL WORTH STICKER GODAMNIT.
Watchell, Skadden, and Latham has been begging me to let them recruit at my school but I SAY NO because our students are that much more valuable than all this t14 trash out there.

Haters gonna hate, UCI on top, dont forget.

Mod: User was banned for trolling and alting.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:22 am

Chomerinsky? Really?

In all seriousness, your dean is a fucking badass. Chemmy is freaking incredible

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:42 am

I have trouble believing a new law school with no established reputation and no real alumni network in a disastrous legal market in an especially hyper-saturated state could end up being a bad bet.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:43 am

Bildungsroman wrote:I have trouble believing a new law school with no established reputation and no real alumni network in a disastrous legal market in an especially hyper-saturated state could end up being a bad bet.

But at least it's a cheap school and part of a financially stable university system.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:00 pm

DeusExCyber wrote:
hume85 wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:Am I the only one who wondered about the quality of student at UCI after reading the posts from OP and DeusEx?

LE GASP!!! You're right!!! I can't believe that two posts, one being a post from a troll and the other being a post that I wrote in less than 5 minutes during a Christmas party, are enough to persuade your guys' opinion on UCI Law. Besides enrolling at UCI Law, perhaps you guys can teach me how to use shallow analysis skills and unfathomable bias that are clearly demonstrated in your posts. I'm already imitating the same level of subtlety used within your snide remarks. :D

Excuses are tools of the incompetent and butt hurt.

BoGuaGua

Postby BoGuaGua » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:23 pm

that's funny, i also just spent the past couple months at UCI and my experience is completely different from OPs. professors are always helpful and engaging, careers office and all admin were eager to help as well, i guess xp can differ

Postby 2014 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:41 pm

Peter Parker wrote:I see beautiful white women and asian women all over campos.

:lol:

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:07 pm

2014 wrote:
Peter Parker wrote:I see beautiful white women and asian women all over campos.

:lol:

Campos swag

bet you wish you had an e-book

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:12 pm

Wait, is OP's username really "perferanonymous?"

Everyone should read that name and think deeply about the state of American education.

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:15 pm

Seriously. Plus nothing says "awesome school, bro" quite like getting your student ambassadors/painful overachievers (http://www.law.uci.edu/students/community_fellows.html) to join an internet forum and write rambling posts about how OP is SO UNFAIR.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:04 pm

nickb285 wrote:

Seriously. Plus nothing says "awesome school, bro" quite like getting your student ambassadors/painful overachievers (http://www.law.uci.edu/students/community_fellows.html) to join an internet forum and write rambling posts about how OP is SO UNFAIR.

There's a lot of interest in entertainment or international law

Eva_Bates

Postby Eva_Bates » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:20 pm

To get back to the topic...

Irvine worries me for several basic reasons. First, it's new, and so has virtually no alumni network, unless you count those few grads who are just starting their own careers - and won't be in a position to help yours (or mine) even three years from now. I'm told alumni networks are important in this whole get-a-job-post-law-school business.

Also, UCI has now joined the ranks of the other California law schoools, by getting their tuition to the same level as the other UCs and all of the LA-area schools. (I may be wrong about this, but I think that UCI's first year of graduates didn't have to pay at all... Now that's another story).

However, UCI does have a couple professors who really seem to be near the top of their field, and the clerkship percentages they posted were really good... Anyone care to comment? (Thats the part that makes me reconsider Irvine again and again)

Irvine just seems to be a really interesting case study.... Although I don't know if "interesting" would make me commit 3 years of my life + $200,000 of non-dischargable debt.

bennettattack

Postby bennettattack » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:20 pm

@Eva_Bates:
I'm happy to discuss my experiences with getting a 9th Cir. externship and a paid summer gig (yes, even in the incredibly tight Cal. firm job market) if you'd like to PM me. I'm not gonna put it all out here because haters gonna hate. But for others who are curious about UCI, I'm happy to share my take.

Also, the Community Fellows are the upper level students who mentor 1Ls-- not a listing of the "overachievers" or whatever that poster said. And isn't pointing out "overachievers" in law school kind of pointing out the obvious?

hume85

Postby hume85 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:25 pm

bennettattack wrote:@Eva_Bates:
I'm happy to discuss my experiences with getting a 9th Cir. externship and a paid summer gig (yes, even in the incredibly tight Cal. firm job market) if you'd like to PM me. I'm not gonna put it all out here because haters gonna hate. But for others who are curious about UCI, I'm happy to share my take.

Also, the Community Fellows are the upper level students who mentor 1Ls-- not a listing of the "overachievers" or whatever that poster said. And isn't pointing out "overachievers" in law school kind of pointing out the obvious?

Is the quote button broken?

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:43 pm

bennettattack wrote:@Eva_Bates:

Did you get your paying summer gig in Animal Law or Social Justice?

Nice hipster glasses.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:54 pm

I'm shocked UCI has any students at all. Unless daddy is covering the bill, why in the world would you choose UCI over Davis, Hastings with $$, or Loyola with $$ (all assuming you're not getting into the better ranked CA schools of course)? Going to a school without a rock solid reputation in the community, without ANY established alumni network that can help you, in the most oversaturated market in the US, at THAT type of CoA is, simply put, insane. If you got into UCI, you got into other schools that will give you better options, even if you're dead set on staying in CA.
Last edited by BarbellDreams on Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

BoGuaGua

Postby BoGuaGua » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:43 am

BarbellDreams wrote:I'm shocked OCI has any students at all. Unless daddy is covering the bill, why in the world would you choose UCI over Davis, Hastings with $$, or Loyola with $$ (all assuming you're not getting into the better ranked CA schools of course)? Going to a school without a rock solid reputation in the community, without ANY established alumni network that can help you, in the most oversaturated market in the US, at THAT type of CoA is, simply put, insane. If you got into UCI, you got into other schools that will give you better options, even if you're dead set on staying in CA.

because at least orange county is very excited abt uci law, the faults with uci can be basically said abt any new schools, xcept as uci is starting strong unlike other new schools, it will offer its students much better positions than davis, hasting or loyola, especially in socal, the $$ given by these other schools is not enough to offset better education and career opportunities

Return to “Choosing a Law School”