How important is location?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mh33

How important is location?

Postby mh33 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:14 am

I was reading Paul Campos' blog "inside the law school scam," as I'm sure many of you do, and he mentioned this anecdote from another professor in his most recent post:

"As a professor, I often talk with applicants about how to realize their life goals. I recall one student in particular, who was attempting to choose between Vanderbilt and the school at which I teach—Loyola Los Angeles. His ambition was to become a big-firm partner in Los Angeles. As students often do, he chose the higher U.S. News & World Report-ranked school. When he graduated from Vanderbilt, he was unable even to get an interview in Los Angeles. Had he attended Loyola, his paper credentials and performance at Vanderbilt suggest that he would have graduated near the top of his class. If he had, his chances of getting an offer from a large Los Angeles firm would have been quite high. Again, based on the results of the study reported in this article, I can explain why. Hiring by national law firms is astonishingly local. There are very few truly national law schools. Vanderbilt is not an established LA feeder school. Loyola is."

I am very set on practicing in my hometown after law school (Boston). At this point, I have ruled out all of the schools that I had applied to outside of Boston. I have yet to hear from BU and BC, but I do already have a Dean's Scholarship from Northeastern in hand. I have already been accepted to a T-25 in another part of the country and expect to get into a few more schools that are near BC/BU in the rankings. However, I have pretty much come to the conclusion that if I get denied from both BC and BU, I'm going to Northeastern with the money. I am working on setting up some informational phone calls with hiring partners at some of the Boston firms to get their perspective because I don't want to do public interest, but I wanted to hear everyone's input. Also for consideration, my father does have an independent practice in the area that has been doing very well for 30 years, so I could always work with him if Big Law doesn't pan out, which makes the back-up of Northeastern at a huge discount feel a bit better. What do you all think? Should I ignore all of the schools outside of Boston?

WhiteyCakes

Re: How important is location?

Postby WhiteyCakes » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:17 am

mh33 wrote:I was reading Paul Campos' blog "inside the law school scam," as I'm sure many of you do, and he mentioned this anecdote from another professor in his most recent post:

"As a professor, I often talk with applicants about how to realize their life goals. I recall one student in particular, who was attempting to choose between Vanderbilt and the school at which I teach—Loyola Los Angeles. His ambition was to become a big-firm partner in Los Angeles. As students often do, he chose the higher U.S. News & World Report-ranked school. When he graduated from Vanderbilt, he was unable even to get an interview in Los Angeles. Had he attended Loyola, his paper credentials and performance at Vanderbilt suggest that he would have graduated near the top of his class. If he had, his chances of getting an offer from a large Los Angeles firm would have been quite high. Again, based on the results of the study reported in this article, I can explain why. Hiring by national law firms is astonishingly local. There are very few truly national law schools. Vanderbilt is not an established LA feeder school. Loyola is."

I am very set on practicing in my hometown after law school (Boston). At this point, I have ruled out all of the schools that I had applied to outside of Boston. I have yet to hear from BU and BC, but I do already have a Dean's Scholarship from Northeastern in hand. I have already been accepted to a T-25 in another part of the country and expect to get into a few more schools that are near BC/BU in the rankings. However, I have pretty much come to the conclusion that if I get denied from both BC and BU, I'm going to Northeastern with the money. I am working on setting up some informational phone calls with hiring partners at some of the Boston firms to get their perspective because I don't want to do public interest, but I wanted to hear everyone's input. Also for consideration, my father does have an independent practice in the area that has been doing very well for 30 years, so I could always work with him if Big Law doesn't pan out, which makes the back-up of Northeastern at a huge discount feel a bit better. What do you all think? Should I ignore all of the schools outside of Boston?

Outside of the T-14, the conventional wisom is to attend school where you want to live/work/practice afterwards

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:19 am

WhiteyCakes wrote:
mh33 wrote:I was reading Paul Campos' blog "inside the law school scam," as I'm sure many of you do, and he mentioned this anecdote from another professor in his most recent post:

Outside of the T-14, the conventional wisom is to attend school where you want to live/work/practice afterwards

Even within the T14, most schools won't get you into markets where you don't have ties. So in reality, outside of wanting to work in NY or going to HYS you pretty much have to either come from the market or go to school there.

So if you want to work in Boston, you should be fine going to any T14, BC or BU. The issue with other lower ranked schools is that the alumni network and interviewing won't have as much of a hold in Boston. i.e., Ohio State isn't going to have Boston interviewers really at OCI, and won't have many alumni in that city.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:53 am

What are your stats?

BU/BC would be great choices with $$$ if you want Boston. But I wouldn't go into a lot of debt for them.

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:00 pm

At first I thought that the bolded was contra TLS conventional wisdom, but perhaps it isn't because the proposition that this Vandy student would have a higher class ranking at the lower ranked school derives not from LSAT/GPA but from actual law school performance?
Last edited by suralin on Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:09 pm

Suralin wrote:

At first I thought that the bolded was contra TLS conventional wisdom, but perhaps it isn't because the proposition that this Vandy student would have a higher class ranking at the lower ranked school derives not from LSAT/GPA but from actual law school performance, right?

I didn't read the Campos post in its entirety until just now. I gotta say, even though he's "on our side," some of the stuff he says is really asinine. And this is extremely asinine. He's right that law school is fairly localized, but the suggestion that Vanderbilt > Loyola for big firm employment in LA is a little suspect to begin with. But to suggest that going to Loyola to "be at the top of his class" is better than going to Vanderbilt? That is terrible, even dangerous advice.

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:11 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Suralin wrote:

At first I thought that the bolded was contra TLS conventional wisdom, but perhaps it isn't because the proposition that this Vandy student would have a higher class ranking at the lower ranked school derives not from LSAT/GPA but from actual law school performance, right?

I didn't read the Campos post in its entirety until just now. I gotta say, even though he's "on our side," some of the stuff he says is really asinine. And this is extremely asinine. He's right that law school is fairly localized, but the suggestion that Vanderbilt > Loyola for big firm employment in LA is a little suspect to begin with. But to suggest that going to Loyola to "be at the top of his class" is better than going to Vanderbilt? That is terrible, even dangerous advice.

But it is better to say post-grades I mean if the guy was top 5% at Vanderbilt or something like that not too far of a stretch.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:17 pm

BU and BC could get you a decent job but are not nearly worth sticker. Northeastern is really only worth going to for free or close to free because if the poor job placement.

Edit: is a Dean's scholarship full tuition? Also, all things being equal go to school in Boston. I'm at a T14, lived and worked in the Boston area my entire life before leaving for law school, had unbelievable ties to the area and only got one Boston offer from a firm I did not like even though I had four CB there.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:23 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:But it is better to say post-grades I mean if the guy was top 5% at Vanderbilt or something like that not too far of a stretch.

Sure, but that's like saying "Oh man, I should have called that big bet with my 5-10 offsuit!" when the flop comes 10-5-5. It's not really something that should affect people's thought processes going in to law school, so why even bother bringing it up? And Loyola is your 10-5 offsuit: some people are gonna hit big, but it's usually a bad play.

There's also the issue of just employment period. Sure, you may really want LA, but come 3L year, most students will be begging for just about any decent job. Sure, some people really want to work in XYZ city and are willing to be broke and unemployed if that's what it takes, but most law students just want a job at the end of the day. I'd much rather take Vanderbilt and have a much higher shot at biglaw and a somewhat lower shot at LA biglaw than give myself 10 : 1 odds of LA biglaw and pretty much nothing else. (Ignoring the money issue for the time being.)

I mean, yeah, I totally agree with Campos about location being important. But there's big problems with this anecdote, and I wouldn't want some 0L reading the wrong thing into it.

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:24 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Suralin wrote:

I wanted to clarify the source of that quotation--OP was unclear--so I went to that post myself. As it turns out, that anecdote is from Ted Seto's article regarding BigLaw partnership patterns, and Campos not only does not endorse the article (or bolded part) but also wholly condemns it.

Check it out: http://insidethelawschoolscam.blogspot. ... -seto.html

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:32 pm

Good find, guess that's why they say always go to the source.

As for OP, don't go to BU/BC at sticker. Good schools, especially for Boston, but not worth anywhere near sticker (assuming that's what you'd pay). Take a year off and retake if you have to.

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:39 pm

romothesavior wrote:Good find, guess that's why they say always go to the source.

As for OP, don't go to BU/BC at sticker. Good schools, especially for Boston, but not worth anywhere near sticker (assuming that's what you'd pay). Take a year off and retake if you have to.

For somebody who wants to work in Boston and who lacks strong ties: $ at a T14 or $$$ at BU/BC?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:42 pm

Suralin wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Good find, guess that's why they say always go to the source.

For somebody who wants to work in Boston and who lacks strong ties: $ at a T14 or $$$ at BU/BC?

I'm not terribly familiar with the Boston market, but I think a full ride at BU/BC would be a pretty good call if you wanted Boston. If it was more in the range of 200k for a T14 vs. 100k for BU/BC, I'm leaning T14, while realizing that Boston may be a tougher fish to catch from the T14.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:43 pm

Suralin wrote:

This is the wrong question to ask. You should be open minded and prepared to work in any market you get a job. You should be asking which school gives me the best chance to get a job? It also depends on the T14 you are talking about. The problem with Boston is you have six law school right in the city, including Harvard, so competition is very tough.

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:51 pm

Icculus wrote:
Suralin wrote:

This is the wrong question to ask. You should be open minded and prepared to work in any market you get a job. You should be asking which school gives me the best chance to get a job? It also depends on the T14 you are talking about. The problem with Boston is you have six law school right in the city, including Harvard, so competition is very tough.

I fully realize that. It was a hypothetical explicitly conditioned on wanting to work in Boston and lacking strong ties, so I'm not sure what you even mean by saying it's the wrong question to ask, other than uncharitably denying the hypothetical. And I will be asking precisely the question of which school gives me the best chance to get a job; I was just curious about the optimal choice given absolutely needing to work in Boston (e.g., family with young kids, wife going to grad school there, etc.).

Captain Hammer

Postby Captain Hammer » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:53 pm

Suralin wrote:For somebody who wants to work in Boston and who lacks strong ties: $ at a T14 or $$$ at BU/BC?

For the hope of working in Boston, BC/BU, undoubtedly. Attending a non-local school with no strong ties will essentially shut you out of Boston. BC/BU will give you at least a chance at getting into the Boston market, though not a large one.

Suralin wrote:I was just curious about the optimal choice given absolutely needing to work in Boston (e.g., family with young kids, wife going to grad school there, etc.).

Given all of this, BC/BU is the only choice that makes sense anyway.

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:57 pm

Thanks Hammer, Icculus, and romothesavior for your thoughts. I apologize for the derailment, you may now return to your scheduled programming.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:58 pm

Suralin wrote:
Icculus wrote:
Suralin wrote:

I fully realize that. It was a hypothetical explicitly conditioned on wanting to work in Boston and lacking strong ties, so I'm not sure what you mean by saying it's the wrong question to ask, other than denying the hypothetical. And I will be asking precisely the question of which school gives me the best chance to get a job; I was just curious about the optimal choice given absolutely needing to work in Boston (e.g., family with young kids, wife going to grad school there, etc.).

Well first of all, I assumed you were making the decision in the hypothetical. Second of all, my point is that the hypothetical itself is flawed since one should not go in focussed on a city but rather on getting a job.

Let's play this game. In your hypothetical it would still depend on what T14 you were talking about, but odds are getting a job in Boston would be easier from BU or BC than a random T14, especially without ties to the area. However the people at BU/BC/Harvard who are from the area are still going to have an advantage. As one from Boston I can assure you that Boston is a very insular market and city. Firms don't particularly want to hire outsiders who may leave. I even had to explain to a few firms why I wanted to come back even though I was born there, went to college there, worked there, got a Master's degree there, etc.

TL;DR - The hypothetical is flawed on its face. BU/BC would be a better option if you had absolutely no desire or ability to work anywhere but Boston. Romo pretty much nailed it.

Edit: @Suralin, so I rarely do this, but my first post/reaction may have been a bit snippy. I blame it on a lack of sleep lately.

izha

Postby izha » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:08 am

Icculus wrote:
Suralin wrote:

This is a weird suggestion. You mean that beggars can't be choosers? There are a lot of people that don't consider themselves "beggars" and intend to work where they want doing what they want.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:03 am

izha wrote:This is a weird suggestion. You mean that beggars can't be choosers? There are a lot of people that don't consider themselves "beggars" and intend to work where they want doing what they want.

It's not prudent to put all your eggs in one basket. Even if you're not a "beggar" you're taking quite a risk by limiting yourself.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:11 am

izha wrote:
Icculus wrote:
Suralin wrote:

This is a weird suggestion. You mean that beggars can't be choosers? There are a lot of people that don't consider themselves "beggars" and intend to work where they want doing what they want.

Yes, and those people tend to have a harder time finding a job after law school since there are so few. The point of law school is to get a law job, as such it makes sense to go to the place that gives you the best opportunity to do that. People who have the hardest time at OCI were people who used your logic. If your goal is to only work in a place like DC which is virtually impossible to get, or Boston which is very insular, or a small secondary market with few jobs and are not open minded enough to look in other cities you will most likely be unemployed with $100-$200K in debt. But yeah, you're right, my question is totally weird. Hell even at a top school your chance of finding a good paying legal job is a coin flip. As you go lower that turns into less than a 50/50 chance at finding any legal job or job in general.

Edit: This is of course assuming all things being equal. I mean if it's $200+K vs $100K or less then I think cost benefit analysis also comes into play, as well as where the school that is offering a scholarship is located. Also, best opportunity for employment is not necessarily T14, though in most cases it is. For example if you are from MT, and really want to work in MT, or a place like Maine, or a state with very low in state tuition then maybe the local school is a good idea. The problem is neither of this states likely have very many opportunities upon graduation so if you can't get a job there you're basically screwed. Now looking at the original post and the article, anyone who goes to Loyola LA over a T14 or a place like Vandy is making a mistake even if their goal is to work in LA.

Captain Hammer

Postby Captain Hammer » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:51 am

izha wrote:This is a weird suggestion. You mean that beggars can't be choosers? There are a lot of people that don't consider themselves "beggars" and intend to work where they want doing what they want.

It has nothing to do with what people consider themselves or what they intend. Every year, literally thousands of law students intend to get a job in their local market and strike out. That's how oversaturated the entry-level job market is right now. Almost none of those people intend to be jobless and desperate. It doesn't matter if they didn't think they'd be a beggar, if they intended not to be, if they worked hard and did what they thought were the right things, they'll still be beggars in the job hunt at that point.

And as a 0L, there's literally no way to predict in advance if that will happen to you or not.

If 0Ls understood that and accepted it in advance, they'd go to the best school possible for finding a job, anywhere, period. In this economy, that's the best strategy for finding legal employment, even if it's not in the city you want to be in. That's what the above poster's point was. I'm not saying you should never prioritize local job prospects over broader ones, but I am pointing out that it's wrong to discuss these things in terms of what people consider themselves or what their intent is.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”