Pitt or WVU?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
AbbeyRoadLaw

Re: Pitt or WVU?

Postby AbbeyRoadLaw » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:43 am

ChampagnePapi wrote:Who gives a fuck? I wish we had 30 brain dead monkeys posting in these threads saying retake over and over. 99% of the time if you don't have at least a 168 you should be taking it again. And 99% of the time people don't listen to that advice anyways.

Edit: Don't type while drunk. :(
Last edited by AbbeyRoadLaw on Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:46 am

OP if you want to work in Pitt, then you should go to Pitt. Yes Duquesne is there, and they do place quite well ( especially with judges) but Pitt is very insular, and you need strong ties to the burgh if you are out of state to do well. WVU's tuition as an in state resident is very attractive, but again, if you want the burgh, go to Pitt.

Where do you want to end up? Asnwer that and go to the best school for that area.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:51 am

AbbeyRoadLaw wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
AbbeyRoadLaw wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
I don't really care what your LSAT score is, but it's not too believable that you currently have a 178, especially with the schools you're applying to. And my reason for glancing your posts was to figure out who you were and why you were being a dick. Whether you have a 162 or 178 doesn't mean much at all (and having a 162 by no means "proves you wrong"). Just seemed like a weird thing to make-up.

Btw- you never actually responded to the substance of my post.

I see nothing wrong in applying to schools of all calibers, especially with fee waives. Snail mail is nice. To assume that I have not applied somewhere because of the fact that I have not written in that forum would be foolish.

I may be new to posting here, but not new to reading here. And truthfully, a good number of people here come off as self-righteous dickbags. I do not understand how spelling out a school's stats (stats that are not particularly strong, mind you) is behaving in such a way.

Retake is generally good advice--it is beside the point the person giving the advice is going to Minnesota. Telling OP he should ignore someone on that ground is silly, since the advice is still probably the best advice for the OP. (Though maybe OP actually does have a legit reason why he take retake. He still hasn't answered yet.) That's why it's a dick move to do since it only contributes BAD advice to the thread (and is a pointless callout).

The issue was not with retaking is normally a good idea- I agree that it is. It was the manner in which it was done, as well as simply denying that OP would get into the schools he has applied to. To be fair, I was a bit dickish, however. I just do not like when posters with a longer history here simply discount the OP's question/do not give any thought processes behind their advice to retake.

I agree that it is much more effective to provide a non-aggressive rationale for why retaking might be the best option. But I do understand the temptation to be more brusque, since it's a message that becomes tedious to explain over and over again. All that said, you might have thought Nova was being a bit more of a dick than he actually was--I don't think he meant to imply OP wasn't going to get into the schools he applied to, I think he just was trying to pound across the point that applicants shouldn't make assumptions, especially when they're creating hypo threads on those assumptions. He definitely could have been more diplomatic in his approach though.

OnTheRise

Postby OnTheRise » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:02 am

retaking is not an option because I am out of retakes. I have taken the test three times and improved but not in the manner that I would have liked. the last time i was consistently PT'ing 170+ but on test day choked on the RC and still had a whole passage to go when the proctor called 5 minutes.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:38 am

OnTheRise wrote:retaking is not an option because I am out of retakes. I have taken the test three times and improved but not in the manner that I would have liked. the last time i was consistently PT'ing 170+ but on test day choked on the RC and still had a whole passage to go when the proctor called 5 minutes.

It is still possible to petition lsac for a 4th take. I was under the impression that when the petition was to schools for the 4th take, they wwould usually grant it. I'm less familiar with the new (er) process. But if you were pting in the 170s, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't petition and try to take in Feb or June. At thever least it can make a big impact in scholarship money and waitlists.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:25 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:I think he just was trying to pound across the point that applicants shouldn't make assumptions, especially when they're creating hypo threads on those assumptions. He definitely could have been more diplomatic in his approach though.

Yeah.

I mean, shit. I post in this part of the forum because I want to help people with their decisions. When I posted earlier, it was between my K and Torts exam. I realize in depth explanations would be preferred. I assumed others would fill in the gaps, which they have.

Some noncontroversial sentiments on TLS are
1. Dont go to a non T14 that doesnt feed into a market you want to practice in
2. Dont over pay for law school.
3. Retake if possible to put yourself in a better position.

I have never been to Pennsylvania or West Virginia. But I know that both are respected in their markets yet are not likely to get you work outside those markets. SOOO all meant to say was, if I were OP, I would not leave home to attend a third tier school. But if it were too expensive to attend Pitt, I would wait till it became more affordable.

As far as the LSAT goes, if you were PTing in the 170s, you very well may likely regret attending law school with a 161. The difference between the low 80s% and the 98% is huge. if you are capable of doing better, it would probably be worth it to wait. If you absolutely dont want to wait, then Pitt > WVU in your circumstance, as long as cost of attendance is reasonable.

Having hard numbers about cost of attendance (including cost of living) would make it easier to choose between the two. Good luck with your cycle.

jstr00az

Postby jstr00az » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:06 pm

Nova wrote:
OnTheRise wrote:I am assuming that I will get into

No.

So, should I attend my favorite school and the one located where I would like to work or the cheap one?

If you dont want to live in WV, dont go to WVU.

Attend Pitt if its economically feasable.

Also, Retake.

You should DEFINITELY not go to WVU unless you are from West Virginia and plan to live there for the rest of your life. You should probably not go to Pitt either as it is a marginal school. You will probably not get a job to justify the $125,000 in debt you will come out with.

jstr00az

Postby jstr00az » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:11 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
OnTheRise wrote:retaking is not an option because I am out of retakes. I have taken the test three times and improved but not in the manner that I would have liked. the last time i was consistently PT'ing 170+ but on test day choked on the RC and still had a whole passage to go when the proctor called 5 minutes.

It is still possible to petition lsac for a 4th take. I was under the impression that when the petition was to schools for the 4th take, they wwould usually grant it. I'm less familiar with the new (er) process. But if you were pting in the 170s, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't petition and try to take in Feb or June. At thever least it can make a big impact in scholarship money and waitlists.

Look, someone who gets on these boards and says they want to go to either WVU or Pitt, unless they have family who can help pay and unless they want to live and work in either location, is beyond hope.

Some people should not go to law school at the cost. You may be one of those people who wants to go to law school really really badly. If you do, you will probably be posting here in a few years about how you were told not to go to law school, you ignored that advice, you went, and now you are in debt, impoverished, and depressed.

Don't say you weren't warned.

jstr00az

Postby jstr00az » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:13 pm

northwood wrote:OP if you want to work in Pitt, then you should go to Pitt. Yes Duquesne is there, and they do place quite well ( especially with judges) but Pitt is very insular, and you need strong ties to the burgh if you are out of state to do well. WVU's tuition as an in state resident is very attractive, but again, if you want the burgh, go to Pitt.

Where do you want to end up? Asnwer that and go to the best school for that area.

Do you really think there are enough jobs in West Virginia's legal market to support the average student coming out of WVU with $125k in debt? FOR REAL?

If you can come out of WVU without any debt and you really want to live in WVU and you REALLY want to be a lawyer, and you KNOW what being a lawyer entails, then go to WVU.

Same goes for Pitt...

Otherwise, save yourself the pain and indebtedness and find something else to do with your life...

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:08 pm

As a Pitt student, don't go to either without a substantial scholarship and want to work in the region for a minimum of 5 years.

uvabro

Postby uvabro » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:06 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:As a Pitt student, don't go to either without a substantial scholarship and want to work in the region for a minimum of 5 years.

OP THIS GUY IS JUST TALKING SOUR GRAPES.

MANY PEOPLE GO TO PITT LAW AT STICKER AND PAY IT OFF IN LIKE 6 TO 12 MONTHS.

PITT LAW HAS PRODUCED PRESIDENTS, NBA BASKETBALL PLAYERS AND MANY BIG LAW PARTNERS. IT IS ALSO A NATIONALLY PORTABLE DEGREE BECAUSE EVERYONE HAS HEARD OF PITTSBURGH AS IT'S A BIG SCHOOL.

MOST FIRMS WILL SAY IT'S A NOTCH DOWN FROM HARVARD AND YALE, BUT PITT LAW IS CONSTANTLY COMPARED TO SCHOOLS LIKE NYU AND UPENN AND EATS UP BIG LAW IN NYC, DC AND EVEN SAN FRANCISCO.

IF YOU CAN GET INTO NYU GO THERE, BUT IF YOUR OPTIONS ARE SITTING OUT A YEAR OR GOING TO PITT AT STICKER YOU SHOULD ABSOLUTELY CHOOSE PITT BECAUSE WITH A PITT LAW DEGREE YOU'LL BE LOSING A YEAR OF BIG LAW PARTNERSHIP (THINK 500K+/YR BY WAITING). MOST PITT GRADS MAKE PARTNER WITHIN 1-2 YEARS. FACT.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:02 am

uvabro wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:As a Pitt student, don't go to either without a substantial scholarship and want to work in the region for a minimum of 5 years.

OP THIS GUY IS JUST TALKING SOUR GRAPES.

MANY PEOPLE GO TO PITT LAW AT STICKER AND PAY IT OFF IN LIKE 6 TO 12 MONTHS.

PITT LAW HAS PRODUCED PRESIDENTS, NBA BASKETBALL PLAYERS AND MANY BIG LAW PARTNERS. IT IS ALSO A NATIONALLY PORTABLE DEGREE BECAUSE EVERYONE HAS HEARD OF PITTSBURGH AS IT'S A BIG SCHOOL.

MOST FIRMS WILL SAY IT'S A NOTCH DOWN FROM HARVARD AND YALE, BUT PITT LAW IS CONSTANTLY COMPARED TO SCHOOLS LIKE NYU AND UPENN AND EATS UP BIG LAW IN NYC, DC AND EVEN SAN FRANCISCO.

IF YOU CAN GET INTO NYU GO THERE, BUT IF YOUR OPTIONS ARE SITTING OUT A YEAR OR GOING TO PITT AT STICKER YOU SHOULD ABSOLUTELY CHOOSE PITT BECAUSE WITH A PITT LAW DEGREE YOU'LL BE LOSING A YEAR OF BIG LAW PARTNERSHIP (THINK 500K+/YR BY WAITING). MOST PITT GRADS MAKE PARTNER WITHIN 1-2 YEARS. FACT.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”