UVA $$ vs. Berkeley Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
romothesavior

Diamond

Re: UVA $$ vs. Berkeley

Post by romothesavior » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:11 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
nebula666 wrote:Do you want to work in CA?

If yes, Berkeley. If not, UVA. Try to negotiate the scholarship either way, obviously.
Is this a joke? HELL NO you shouldnt pay sticker at Berk when you could go to UVA for (more than) 100k less. UVA will get you back to CA as long as your ties are strong. If you have no ties... well I dont know in that case.

I think this is an easy choice if Berkeley doesnt match
I definitely agree with this. UVA is the better option unless Berkeley puts up comparable money.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:37 pm

if OP has no ties to the bay area but really wants it then it could be worth it to go to Berk. Also, if OP really wants bay area PI then Berkeley kinda comes out front.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:38 pm

FlanAl wrote:if OP has no ties to the bay area but really wants it then it could be worth it to go to Berk. Also, if OP really wants bay area PI then Berkeley kinda comes out front.
If he has no ties to a place how would he know he wants to go there?

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:23 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
FlanAl wrote:if OP has no ties to the bay area but really wants it then it could be worth it to go to Berk. Also, if OP really wants bay area PI then Berkeley kinda comes out front.
no clue, but it seems like a ton of people do this, especially with California.

voytek

Bronze

Post by voytek » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:58 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
Yeah. TBH I have no ties to CA, but would love to end up there. I'm interested to find out how OP's scholly negotiations with Berk go because I'm finding myself in a similar predicament...

Is a more certain 'in' to the CA market worth 100k? Idk about that one.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

eleemosynary2

New

Post by eleemosynary2 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:05 pm

As an economic prospect, I agree with the overwhelming consensus that UVA is a no-brainer.

That said, I am sitting on $75k to UVA and nothing (yet) to Berkeley, and am not even entertaining UVA in comparison. I have substantial ties to CA, really want to make a career there (probably in PI/gov), and have an s.o. in the picture.

To lob a grenade into this thread, I just had a JS1 and would still have a tough time with the choice if I am fortunate enough to get a JS2.

The experience, the connections you make, and the name on your degree is for life, not just your first biglaw job. You just need to understand the risk that you are taking if you go somewhere for full freight and be ready to deal with the consequences of finishing below median.

jychun412

Bronze

Post by jychun412 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:43 am

I'm in a similar situation as OP.
Is it too soon to submit a matching scholarship application now?
I think no other school will offer me more money than UVA.

bosmer88

Bronze

Post by bosmer88 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:25 am

I am dealing with the same predicament myself OP. Berkeley (I don't think I will get any money) vs UVa with half in-state tuition scholarship. The bad thing is that I haven't really thought about what region I would like to practice in. So I am contemplating, but maybe I should just go with the obvious choice.

Concerns over debt might beat out my dream school...

kfischm1

Bronze

Post by kfischm1 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:02 pm

jychun412 wrote:I'm in a similar situation as OP.
Is it too soon to submit a matching scholarship application now?
I think no other school will offer me more money than UVA.
I think it is too soon because Berkeley hasn't sent out scholarship offers yet. An email I received says that they will start doing it in February. After you receive an initial offer (or if they go out to people and you don't get one) then I would say it is time to submit and see if they match. Just my thoughts and what I plan to do.

I don't know what is up with UVA this cycle but I feel like they are throwing a ton of money at people and while schools might try and increase their offers to us to be more competitive, I don't see them matching it dollar-for-dollar. :-( But here's to hoping.

And to just shake things up more - I got into Chicago yesterday. I'm not too hopeful about them matching my offer either.

Glad I'm not the only one struggling with this decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kfischm1

Bronze

Post by kfischm1 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:06 pm

bosmer88 wrote:I am dealing with the same predicament myself OP. Berkeley (I don't think I will get any money) vs UVa with half in-state tuition scholarship. The bad thing is that I haven't really thought about what region I would like to practice in. So I am contemplating, but maybe I should just go with the obvious choice.

Concerns over debt might beat out my dream school...
I know what you mean about debt concerns. Berkeley has always been a dream school of mine that I never thought I'd get into. But I don't know that following a dream is worth $90,000 plus interest. I guess it would be different if I was facing both at sticker.

Have you been to UVA and visited? Just wondering your thoughts on the school because you are in-state. I'm wanting to make it to ASW but I looked up flights and round trips are close to $500! Even with their generous $400 stipend, I'd still be shelling out a lot of cash.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”