Negotiating/Choosing with 163/2.8

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where/if to go:

American (At or near sticker)
0
No votes
Northeastern (with 10K/year scholly, 3K stipend one summer)
0
No votes
Stetson (half-tuition/3 years)
0
No votes
Maine (8K scholarship/year, 3 years)
0
No votes
Lewis and Clark (12k scholarship/year, must stay above 2.6)
1
13%
Loyola Chicago (no info on $ yet)
1
13%
Wait to hear from the others before doing anything
1
13%
Retake and put this cycle behind you
5
63%
 
Total votes: 8

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Negotiating/Choosing with 163/2.8

Postby dingbat » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:58 am

bre.kidman wrote:I'm 163/2.8 and debt averse. My job is sapping the life out of me and I really wanted to move on with my life this year, but it's not looking good. My strategy was to pick schools that might give me money in places I wouldn't mind living. I hoped I'd get a full at a t3 school in a decent town but, now that THAT seems to have fallen through, I'm debating when to suck it up and retake. :-/
Please tell me the bolded is not why you want to go to law school

Generally speaking, crappy schools don't give a lot of full rides

User avatar
BmoreOrLess
Posts: 2082
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: Negotiating/Choosing with 163/2.8

Postby BmoreOrLess » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:59 am

Tom Joad wrote:He is already above Maine's 75th percentile so they may never give him more money based solely on an increased LSAT score. That GPA is going to continue to kill him at lots of places.


Eh, it's going to depend on how LSAT whorish Maine winds up. I was at GW's 75th (168) and a 2.95 and went from getting off the waitlist to $105k, and went from $18k to a full ride at just above Alabama's 75th. I also had marginal success at Wake and conversations with Emory (which wound up being nothing because there was no way they were going to match GW, but it seemed like I could have gotten $60k). But then again, UGA wouldn't give me anything even though you would think they would try to compete with Alabama.

It's ultimately going to vary quite a bit school by school.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Negotiating/Choosing with 163/2.8

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:02 am

BmoreOrLess wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:He is already above Maine's 75th percentile so they may never give him more money based solely on an increased LSAT score. That GPA is going to continue to kill him at lots of places.


Eh, it's going to depend on how LSAT whorish Maine winds up. I was at GW's 75th (168) and a 2.95 and went from getting off the waitlist to $105k, and went from $18k to a full ride at just above Alabama's 75th. I also had marginal success at Wake and conversations with Emory (which wound up being nothing because there was no way they were going to match GW, but it seemed like I could have gotten $60k). But then again, UGA wouldn't give me anything even though you would think they would try to compete with Alabama.

It's ultimately going to vary quite a bit school by school.

You would know given a similar situation, but I would imagine it would vary lots by school.

User avatar
BmoreOrLess
Posts: 2082
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: Negotiating/Choosing with 163/2.8

Postby BmoreOrLess » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:07 am

bre.kidman wrote:I'm getting ready to do February because the overwhelming consensus is to retake, but I'd like to get a strategy in place to negotiate with Maine because, ultimately, I think I'd be happy there at the right dollar amount. Basically, I don't want T1 debt for a T3 degree. I'm wondering, though, how one tactfully asks for MORE merit aid after already receiving a chunk. Can you speak at all on how to navigate that process?


I'm at work, so I can't get into my personal email, but when I get home I'll look up my old emails and give you a pretty good idea. At this point I would wait until later in the cycle to start negotiating anyways. I didn't have a ton of success until March/April. It probably wouldn't hurt now, but they likely won't have an idea of what they will need for splitters now. If you haven't already done so, I'd take a look at law school numbers and figure out what schools you can apply to that compare to Maine where your numbers will get you $$ (Northeastern comes to mind as a possibility).

zoomzoom88
Posts: 644
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 4:03 am

Re: Negotiating/Choosing with 163/2.8

Postby zoomzoom88 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:11 am

give it 6 -8 weeks.. at that point schools will have a better idea of how much money they can give and how badly they want you. I think you'll be in a strong position. With apps down there will be less deposits at that time and they'll throw you a bone.

jstr00az
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:36 am

Re: Negotiating/Choosing with 163/2.8

Postby jstr00az » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:45 pm

bre.kidman wrote:
cahwc12 wrote:I don't think Stetson is worth attending with any combination of GPA/LSAT and merit aid because they cap out far below what actually represents fair market value for the degree. Unless you have a personal in with a bay area firm, steer clear.

Why did you choose T3 schools from wide-ranging markets? What are your numbers that you aren't even applying to ranked schools?

Do you see yourself practicing in Maine, or Tampa, or Boston?


I'm 163/2.8 and debt averse. My job is sapping the life out of me and I really wanted to move on with my life this year, but it's not looking good. My strategy was to pick schools that might give me money in places I wouldn't mind living. I hoped I'd get a full at a t3 school in a decent town but, now that THAT seems to have fallen through, I'm debating when to suck it up and retake. :-/


It's a JOB. What do you think being a lawyer does to you? Do you think it lifts you up on the wings of angels and carries you through life while you sip the wine and eat caviar? Being a lawyer is a JOB. Do you think the rates of alcoholism and depression among lawyers are high because it's FUN? It's not fun. It's brutal. Oh, there's some guy once who was a brother of a friend and he works at an IP boutique and lives in a pied a terre in Greenwich Village and his life is awesome.

For everyone else, being a lawyer is a JOB.

bre.kidman
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:35 am

Re: Negotiating/Choosing with 163/2.8

Postby bre.kidman » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:48 pm

jstr00az wrote:
bre.kidman wrote:
cahwc12 wrote:I don't think Stetson is worth attending with any combination of GPA/LSAT and merit aid because they cap out far below what actually represents fair market value for the degree. Unless you have a personal in with a bay area firm, steer clear.

Why did you choose T3 schools from wide-ranging markets? What are your numbers that you aren't even applying to ranked schools?

Do you see yourself practicing in Maine, or Tampa, or Boston?


I'm 163/2.8 and debt averse. My job is sapping the life out of me and I really wanted to move on with my life this year, but it's not looking good. My strategy was to pick schools that might give me money in places I wouldn't mind living. I hoped I'd get a full at a t3 school in a decent town but, now that THAT seems to have fallen through, I'm debating when to suck it up and retake. :-/


It's a JOB. What do you think being a lawyer does to you? Do you think it lifts you up on the wings of angels and carries you through life while you sip the wine and eat caviar? Being a lawyer is a JOB. Do you think the rates of alcoholism and depression among lawyers are high because it's FUN? It's not fun. It's brutal. Oh, there's some guy once who was a brother of a friend and he works at an IP boutique and lives in a pied a terre in Greenwich Village and his life is awesome.

For everyone else, being a lawyer is a JOB.


I'm not work-averse. I'm seeking something more stimulating than repetitive, unchallenging work that doesn't relate to my long-term goals. You can step off a bit there, tiger. I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with believing I can contribute more to the world than "Thank you for calling..."
Last edited by bre.kidman on Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Negotiating/Choosing with 163/2.8

Postby dingbat » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:10 pm

bre.kidman wrote:
jstr00az wrote:
bre.kidman wrote:
cahwc12 wrote:I don't think Stetson is worth attending with any combination of GPA/LSAT and merit aid because they cap out far below what actually represents fair market value for the degree. Unless you have a personal in with a bay area firm, steer clear.

Why did you choose T3 schools from wide-ranging markets? What are your numbers that you aren't even applying to ranked schools?

Do you see yourself practicing in Maine, or Tampa, or Boston?


I'm 163/2.8 and debt averse. My job is sapping the life out of me and I really wanted to move on with my life this year, but it's not looking good. My strategy was to pick schools that might give me money in places I wouldn't mind living. I hoped I'd get a full at a t3 school in a decent town but, now that THAT seems to have fallen through, I'm debating when to suck it up and retake. :-/


It's a JOB. What do you think being a lawyer does to you? Do you think it lifts you up on the wings of angels and carries you through life while you sip the wine and eat caviar? Being a lawyer is a JOB. Do you think the rates of alcoholism and depression among lawyers are high because it's FUN? It's not fun. It's brutal. Oh, there's some guy once who was a brother of a friend and he works at an IP boutique and lives in a pied a terre in Greenwich Village and his life is awesome.

For everyone else, being a lawyer is a JOB.


I'm not work-averse. I'm seeking something more stimulating than meaningless, unfulfilling, intellectually insulting work. You can step off a bit there, tiger. I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with believing I can contribute more to the world than "Thank you for calling..."

Good luck with that

bre.kidman
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:35 am

Re: Negotiating/Choosing with 163/2.8

Postby bre.kidman » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:13 pm

dingbat wrote:
bre.kidman wrote:
jstr00az wrote:It's a JOB. What do you think being a lawyer does to you? Do you think it lifts you up on the wings of angels and carries you through life while you sip the wine and eat caviar? Being a lawyer is a JOB. Do you think the rates of alcoholism and depression among lawyers are high because it's FUN? It's not fun. It's brutal. Oh, there's some guy once who was a brother of a friend and he works at an IP boutique and lives in a pied a terre in Greenwich Village and his life is awesome.

For everyone else, being a lawyer is a JOB.


I'm not work-averse. I'm seeking something more stimulating than meaningless, unfulfilling, intellectually insulting work. You can step off a bit there, tiger. I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with believing I can contribute more to the world than "Thank you for calling..."

Good luck with that


Thanks. Same to you.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: joezze and 3 guests