current offers -- help with neogotiations

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
somewhatwayward
Posts: 1446
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: current offers -- help with neogotiations

Postby somewhatwayward » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:08 pm

OP, I have advised you in some other threads so you already know my position, but I will say it again anyway :D

Why not sign up to retake in February? You have time to make a concerted effort between now and then. It is admittedly not as long as would be ideal, but you are already at 161. Five more points and you would be getting into better schools and getting big $$$ at the schools you are considering now. Seven more points and you'd get WashU and UMinn with $$$ (I realize you want the NE but these can at least act as bargaining chips) and have a shot at Cornell. Ten more points and you'd be in at some T14s and have $$$ at some T20s. If you did add ten points, it might be wise to wait a year and reapply at the beginning of next year, but cross that bridge when you come to it. Maybe you add five points and get the full ride at Rutgers (any way for you to defray living expenses?) and are satisfied with that.

What did you do in preparation for the LSAT?

Oh, and regarding scholarship negotiations, you will probably have to wait longer until the realization sinks in at the schools that they aren't going to get enough students, let alone the students who will maintain their medians, unless they throw significant cash around (see, eg, the cycle last of TLS poster Wily who was like a 2.8/167 who had pretty terrible options until late April when T20 schools not only started admitting him/her but throwing significant money at him/her as well out of desperation, I presume). The other thing you need to be prepared to do is to walk away if they don't give you what you want. For RU-N, for example, you should not settle for less than a full ride. If they won't give it to you, don't enroll. Seriously. Last year people were getting emails after having withdrawn offering them significantly increased scholarships. This is a student's market. Don't give up that advantage.

ETA: Just happened to wander over to the American Univ. 2016 thread in Acceptance/Denials/WLs and noticed you posting in there and have to add: DON'T GO TO AMERICAN except possibly with a full ride but even then I would be skeptical. American is one of the worst schools out there in that they attract people with their supposed T1 prestige but have atrocious placement for a T1 (worse than many T4s). You will probably get in but don't consider it. RU-N at 40K is infinitely better than American at 100K, a generous estimate since at sticker it is more than 200K. I hope I don't sound too paternalistic. I am really trying to help.
Last edited by somewhatwayward on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zoomzoom88
Posts: 644
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 4:03 am

Re: current offers -- help with neogotiations

Postby zoomzoom88 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:14 pm

somewhat -- i just bought another round of books and am registering for feb lsat retake! i'll see what it does. the first time around i did testmasters and studied very hard on my own. i was consistently pting at 166 but blew the games section on the actual lsat. i really do appreciate all of your advice. I want a full ride. I was just accepted to American and I know they wont give me enough money to make me even consider it but they might throw me enough to put pressure on RU-N.

User avatar
somewhatwayward
Posts: 1446
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: current offers -- help with neogotiations

Postby somewhatwayward » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:20 pm

zoomzoom88 wrote:somewhat -- i just bought another round of books and am registering for feb lsat retake! i'll see what it does. the first time around i did testmasters and studied very hard on my own. i was consistently pting at 166 but blew the games section on the actual lsat. i really do appreciate all of your advice. I want a full ride. I was just accepted to American and I know they wont give me enough money to make me even consider it but they might throw me enough to put pressure on RU-N.


Haha, just as you were writing that I happened to go over to the American thread and saw you posting and came back here and made the edit on my post two above this one as you were typing your response....ironic timing. I commend you for being willing to take the time to give the LSAT another shot. That time will probably be worth thousands of dollars in the end. How thoroughly dd you prepare before, and how much time can you dedicate to it between now and February? In the absolute worst case, you score the same or lower and you are in the same spot (I believe this is very unlikely if you commit yourself for the next six weeks). There really is no downside. Good luck!!!!!!!!

Actually playing American off RU-N might not be a terrible idea even if they don't give you much money. A lot of this might happen in March/April rather than now, though. But, regarding American, as someone said about your NYLS offer, it is fine to use as a bargaining chip, but don't go there!!

zoomzoom88
Posts: 644
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 4:03 am

Re: current offers -- help with neogotiations

Postby zoomzoom88 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:24 pm

i agree-- i know american is ranked higher but i've been compiling employment statistic via LST all week and American's employment is atrocious. Plus, I would also have COL loans at AU but not at RU, adding another 80k onto my debt for a school that is in an over saturated market and plummeting in rankings. RU-N might not be god's gift to law school but being from NJ I know they have a regional reputation that proceeds AU.


ps really thank you for all of your insight. it does mean a lot.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests