Visiting schools

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Lear22

Visiting schools

Postby Lear22 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:37 am

I may have time in the next few weeks to visit campuses in the norh/south east.

I was wondering, though, if those visits can have any impact (good or bad) on your app to the school you're visiting if your app is already on review at the time of the visit. Can you meet with admissions people while you're on campus for a semi-interview like what NU and Vandy are doing or it's basically a tour of the campus, sit in a class of you want and go on your Marty way? I want to visit but I also want to see if it can help me in any way or show real interest I the school. for examaple, I live in seattle. If I take the time and invest money to go and visit W&L or schools in the DC/Boston area, does that show good merit on my part?

Thanks!

LAJ20002

Re: Visiting schools

Postby LAJ20002 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:33 pm

It's a really good idea to try and be as involved in the school you're applying to as possible. Show as much interest as you can, and start networking right away. It depends on the school how much of an impact it will have on your app, but it can never hurt to do it regardless. You'll get to experience a bit of the campus life. I think you would have to make an appointment with someone in the admissions office prior to going there though.

Lear22

Postby Lear22 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:37 pm

LAJ20002 wrote:It's a really good idea to try and be as involved in the school you're applying to as possible. Show as much interest as you can, and start networking right away. It depends on the school how much of an impact it will have on your app, but it can never hurt to do it regardless. You'll get to experience a bit of the campus life. I think you would have to make an appointment with someone in the admissions office prior to going there though.

Thanks. I was just wondering if the fact that I invested time (and $$$) to come see the school will have any affect on the apps.

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:40 pm

Lear22 wrote:Thanks. I was just wondering if the fact that I invested time (and $$$) to come see the school will have any affect on the apps.

Would you really consider going to a law school you never visited?

It either has a positive or no effect on your application process, but seriously, visit the schools at which you are potentially going to spend three years of your life.

Lear22

Postby Lear22 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:43 pm

nebula666 wrote:
Lear22 wrote:Thanks. I was just wondering if the fact that I invested time (and $$$) to come see the school will have any affect on the apps.

It either has a positive or no effect on your application process, but seriously, visit the schools at which you are potentially going to spend three years of your life.

I agree. But at this point they are visits prior to an admit. That's the point of my Q asking will it help the app. I will visit the school(s) that admitted me and that Im seriously considering.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:29 pm

Lear22 wrote:
nebula666 wrote:

I agree. But at this point they are visits prior to an admit. That's the point of my Q asking will it help the app. I will visit the school(s) that admitted me and that Im seriously considering.

I really don't think it is worth it. Probably don't want to hear this, but if you are on the fence numbers wise, it'd be best to take that money and invest to retake the LSAT.

If you are waitlisted, only then do I think visiting would make a more significant push, and even then, I doubt it is too much.

Eva_Bates

Postby Eva_Bates » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:09 am

Lear22 wrote:
nebula666 wrote:

If it would help the app, don't you think everyone would be booking a ticket to Harvard yesterday?? Just doesn't make sense...
That being said, I could see how it would hurt your application...

Nammertat

Postby Nammertat » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:39 pm

ESPECIALLY for on-the-fence people, a visit can make a difference. In my case, I visited 3 schools in one visit, only one of which I'd received a decision from (waitlist).

One of them setup a meeting with the dean while I was on campus, during which she offered admission on the spot. One of which accepted me a week later. The third school (T20) is particularly where the visit seemed to help. I was waitlisted, but referenced my visit in multiple LOCI's. When they finally let me in off the waitlist, the admissions dean specifically referenced my continued interest and campus visit.

I'm not saying that people should go out on a mission to visit dozens of schools they haven't even been accepted to, BUT if you're already in the area looking at another school you're at least WL'd at, I see no harm in it and in my case it made the whole difference.

banjo

Postby banjo » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:51 pm

A school that is concerned about its yield (like Penn) will look upon a visit favorably, especially if you follow up with a letter saying nice things about your visit. I think they explicity encourage this on their web site.

Lear22

Postby Lear22 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:52 pm

Nammertat wrote:ESPECIALLY for on-the-fence people, a visit can make a difference. In my case, I visited 3 schools in one visit, only one of which I'd received a decision from (waitlist).

One of them setup a meeting with the dean while I was on campus, during which she offered admission on the spot. One of which accepted me a week later. The third school (T20) is particularly where the visit seemed to help. I was waitlisted, but referenced my visit in multiple LOCI's. When they finally let me in off the waitlist, the admissions dean specifically referenced my continued interest and campus visit.

I'm not saying that people should go out on a mission to visit dozens of schools they haven't even been accepted to, BUT if you're already in the area looking at another school you're at least WL'd at, I see no harm in it and in my case it made the whole difference.

Thanks for this.
That was my initial thought. I was planning on a campus tour after Xmas but all the schools are closed until 2/1. I will prob go on one second week of January.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”