Why the hate on Gtown? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which would you pick?

Georgetown Law - with $50,000+
52%
Any other t-14 at sticker
48%

Total votes: 114

FlanAl

Silver

Re: Why the hate on Gtown?

Post by FlanAl » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:39 pm

a lot of people go because they've already established a life in dc post ug and would rather not leave. another group of people go because its the only "national" school they got accepted to. it also kind of has the best lrap so I'm sure people go there for that too.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:43 pm

FlanAl wrote:it also kind of has the best lrap so I'm sure people go there for that too.
bullshit

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:44 pm

dingbat wrote:
FlanAl wrote:it also kind of has the best lrap so I'm sure people go there for that too.
bullshit
Sorry I meant in relation to peer schools.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:47 pm

FlanAl wrote:
dingbat wrote:
bullshit
Sorry I meant in relation to peer schools.
What peer schools?

Seriously, if you think of law school quality/employment as being divided into tiers, Georgetown sits on its own

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:01 pm

well I could see someone picking gtown over cornell for instance. http://www.top-law-schools.com/archives ... =1&t=25995

at gtown you don't have to pay a dime until you make over 90k. If someone wanted to do pi I think that would be a pretty significant consideration.

sorry link was old but I'm not going to go through all the t14's different lraps and provide details, I did it for myself a while ago. Anyways if you go to gtown and don't crack 90k after 10 years you basically went to school for free.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

facile princeps

Bronze

Post by facile princeps » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:45 pm

FlanAl wrote:well I could see someone picking gtown over cornell for instance. http://www.top-law-schools.com/archives ... =1&t=25995

at gtown you don't have to pay a dime until you make over 90k. If someone wanted to do pi I think that would be a pretty significant consideration.

sorry link was old but I'm not going to go through all the t14's different lraps and provide details, I did it for myself a while ago. Anyways if you go to gtown and don't crack 90k after 10 years you basically went to school for free.
Assuming you work in the public sector. That's a pretty big deal for those who will, though.

igo2northwestern

Bronze

Post by igo2northwestern » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:49 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:Go to the ABA forms within LST and it makes that distinction...
ok... but seeing that it's a negligible % of employment, and also considering that it would take a lot of time to put together that data...

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:50 pm

FlanAl wrote:well I could see someone picking gtown over cornell for instance. http://www.top-law-schools.com/archives ... =1&t=25995

don't you mean $75k?
I agree about cornell's PILIPP, it is pretty shitty

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:51 pm

igo2northwestern wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:Go to the ABA forms within LST and it makes that distinction...
ok... but seeing that it's a negligible % of employment, and also considering that it would take a lot of time to put together that data...
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=183053

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:58 pm

dingbat wrote:

don't you mean $75k?
I agree about cornell's PILIPP, it is pretty shitty
my bad

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:09 pm

When I went to ASW basically everyone there was either a local or gunning for DC after graduation. I know I know, anecdotes, but the administration really creates that PI/gov/policy atmosphere and stuffs it down everyone's throats, at least for admits. I think there's a lot of self selection going on but can't be sure. It would be interesting to see participation rates for their OCI

Ruxin1

Silver

Post by Ruxin1 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:13 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:When I went to ASW basically everyone there was either a local or gunning for DC after graduation. I know I know, anecdotes, but the administration really creates that PI/gov/policy atmosphere and stuffs it down everyone's throats, at least for admits. I think there's a lot of self selection going on but can't be sure. It would be interesting to see participation rates for their OCI
I think someone before linked pre-ITE data that kind of mitigated this -- most of the class was choosing BigLaw when it was plentiful, kind of hard to believe most are just choosing other paths now.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:38 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:When I went to ASW basically everyone there was either a local or gunning for DC after graduation. I know I know, anecdotes, but the administration really creates that PI/gov/policy atmosphere and stuffs it down everyone's throats, at least for admits. I think there's a lot of self selection going on but can't be sure. It would be interesting to see participation rates for their OCI
I think someone before linked pre-ITE data that kind of mitigated this -- most of the class was choosing BigLaw when it was plentiful, kind of hard to believe most are just choosing other paths now.
Just because biglaw is seductive when it's very easy to get doesn't mean that GULC doesn't have a bunch of people who aren't really willing to gun for it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:45 pm

Additionally: it's not like getting gov or public interest work is that easy either.

LeninLunchbox

New

Post by LeninLunchbox » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:40 pm

I'm a GULCer and a lot of what people are saying here is accurate. Our employment prospects are marginally worse than the rest of the T14. The biggest reason is the class size which, except for Harvard, is 2-3 times the size of all the others. If you do the numbers out biglaw firms and judges actually hire just as many if not more people from Gtown than other T14s, there are just so many of us it doesn't matter.

What they say about DC being so competitive it doesn't really count as a home market is also true generally, but not entirely. The fact that you live in DC for three years, can hustle here, easily do intern/externships here, and GULC being the hometown T14, at least outside of the really competitive biglaw/bigfed jobs, does give some advantage. To clarify, I'm not saying GULC people have a leg up on HYS people coming down to DC to get jobs at the SEC and whatnot, but for lesser government positions, public interest work and less prestigious firm work in the DC metro, I think GULC definitely has a leg up on the rest of the lower T14 save UVA. I think this is reflected in the relatively high proportion of government and PI employment. Also keep in mind that practically no one passes the bar in DC because you can waive in, so that may skew those stats.

Is GULC 14th of the T14? Yes, even though we did come 13th in USNWR this year, you mad cornellians? That said, the hate on here is absolutely out of proportion. TLS just needs a T14 to rag on and we're the best candidate. I would strongly consider a good scholly at GULC over sticker elsewhere in the lower T14, especially if you want DC. LRAP is also something to consider.

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:45 pm

LeninLunchbox wrote:I'm a GULCer and a lot of what people are saying here is accurate. Our employment prospects are marginally worse than the rest of the T14. The biggest reason is the class size which, except for Harvard, is 2-3 times the size of all the others. If you do the numbers out biglaw firms and judges actually hire just as many if not more people from Gtown than other T14s, there are just so many of us it doesn't matter.

What they say about DC being so competitive it doesn't really count as a home market is also true generally, but not entirely. The fact that you live in DC for three years, can hustle here, easily do intern/externships here, and GULC being the hometown T14, at least outside of the really competitive biglaw/bigfed jobs, does give some advantage. To clarify, I'm not saying GULC people have a leg up on HYS people coming down to DC to get jobs at the SEC and whatnot, but for lesser government positions, public interest work and less prestigious firm work in the DC metro, I think GULC definitely has a leg up on the rest of the lower T14 save UVA. I think this is reflected in the relatively high proportion of government and PI employment. Also keep in mind that practically no one passes the bar in DC because you can waive in, so that may skew those stats.

Is GULC 14th of the T14? Yes, even though we did come 13th in USNWR this year, you mad cornellians? That said, the hate on here is absolutely out of proportion. TLS just needs a T14 to rag on and we're the best candidate. I would strongly consider a good scholly at GULC over sticker elsewhere in the lower T14, especially if you want DC. LRAP is also something to consider.
Problem is GULC doesn't seem to be anymore generous than the rest of the T14

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:52 pm

LeninLunchbox wrote:I would strongly consider a good scholly at GULC over sticker elsewhere in the lower T14
I don't think many would disagree with this. GULC may be the bottom of the T14, but it's still T14

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LeninLunchbox

New

Post by LeninLunchbox » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:00 pm

Fair enough, but the question was put if you did get $ at GULC and nowhere else.
dingbat wrote:
LeninLunchbox wrote:I would strongly consider a good scholly at GULC over sticker elsewhere in the lower T14
I don't think many would disagree with this. GULC may be the bottom of the T14, but it's still T14
Apparently about half this thread disagrees with it. And judging from a lot of the GULC hate on TLS that OP referenced, that holds true to the board in general. I was making the case that the "georgeTTTown's not even a real T14, don't go to that JD-mill at any price" BS is just that, BS. Which, I figured, is to what OP was referring.

mvonh001

Silver

Post by mvonh001 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:18 pm

LeninLunchbox wrote:
Fair enough, but the question was put if you did get $ at GULC and nowhere else.
dingbat wrote:
Apparently about half this thread disagrees with it. And judging from a lot of the GULC hate on TLS that OP referenced, that holds true to the board in general. I was making the case that the "georgeTTTown's not even a real T14, don't go to that JD-mill at any price" BS is just that, BS. Which, I figured, is to what OP was referring.
This... and thanks, your insight is noted. I may hit you up with some more questions about lifestyle and quality of life at GULC.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:23 pm

"Still a T14" is so meaningless. It's not like you can flash your T14 Club Card at the reception of employers and get interviews.

Gooses

New

Post by Gooses » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:26 pm

IAFG wrote:"Still a T14" is so meaningless. It's not like you can flash your T14 Club Card at the reception of employers and get interviews.
You just described OCI.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mvonh001

Silver

Post by mvonh001 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:28 pm

i dont care about rankings, i only used them for comparison purposes on this forum because everyone here swears by them...

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:29 pm

Gooses wrote:
IAFG wrote:"Still a T14" is so meaningless. It's not like you can flash your T14 Club Card at the reception of employers and get interviews.
You just described OCI.
Yes, because only T14s have OCI.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:30 pm

:cry:

Gooses

New

Post by Gooses » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:31 pm

IAFG wrote:
Gooses wrote:
You just described OCI.
Yes, because only T14s have OCI.
A LOT of other schools have OCI, bro.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”