Howard University School of Law???

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Aphi2008

Howard University School of Law???

Postby Aphi2008 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:31 pm

I am currently applying to several T50 law schools on the east coast. While, Howard University is still considered a T3 school, I would strongly consider attending if offered a reasonable scholarship. Mention of the school on this site has gone down significantly, so I am interested in hearing about the current perception of attending and graduating from Howard University School of Law.

My numbers are average as I recieved a 151(Oct) and retook in (Dec.).
AA male: (3.2) GPA

Any thoughts or insight would be greatly appreciated.

North

Re: Howard University School of Law???

Postby North » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:04 pm

Howard still outperforms its peers in BigLaw placement, but not in overall employment prospects. You pay 200K for a coin flip's chance at becoming a lawyer. That's not a good investment.

Howard used to be pretty solid, but these days you would be FAR better served by retaking the LSAT. Don't waste your URM status on a 151. Seriously.

Edit: Spelling.
Last edited by North on Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

irish1485

Postby irish1485 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:04 pm

Hey,

I applied and was accepted last year, but decided not to attend. There's not a lot of Howard students or info about the school on this site. From what I've gathered to Howard does have a pretty big OCI, however, you would have to be in the top 10-15% of the class to have a real shot if your aiming for biglaw. If you've already been accepted they should have an open house sometime in March ( they did last year), I would strongly suggest attending that to get a feel of the school if you haven't visited yet.

Their admissions staff also left a lot to be desired, here's the thread from last years cycle:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=171070

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:19 pm

Aphi2008 wrote:I would strongly consider attending if offered a reasonable scholarship.

If their stips are the same as previous years, you would have to be top 15% to keep your scholarship after 1L.

That is a ridiculous proposition, and no one on this site would advise taking that.

Consider studying over the next 6 months for the June test. It could get you into places last minute with money (if, say, you hit their LSAT median), or set you up for a much better cycle next year.

irish1485

Postby irish1485 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:23 pm

Nova wrote:
Aphi2008 wrote:I would strongly consider attending if offered a reasonable scholarship.

If their stips are the same as previous years, you would have to be top 15% to keep your scholarship after 1L.

That is a ridiculous proposition, and no one on this site would advise taking that.

Consider studying over the next 6 months for the June test. It could get you into places last minute with money (if, say, you hit their LSAT median), or set you up for a much better cycle next year.

This is true. Last years scholarship required you to be in the top 15% to retain the full amount and top 25% to retain half, which was crazy.

North

Postby North » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:27 pm

Wow, that's the worst stip I've ever heard of. Yeah, don't go to Howard OP.

twenty

Postby twenty » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:32 pm

If you can remove the stipulations, AND you can get Howard for a reasonable price (i.e, no more than 30k total), it might be worth attending. They place significantly better than the rest of T3, and outperform several T2 schools as well.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=howard

I'd seriously consider retaking the LSAT in Feb, though. A few extra points would give you a lot of leverage to remove their stipulations on scholarships.

irish1485

Postby irish1485 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:35 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:If you can remove the stipulations, AND you can get Howard for a reasonable price (i.e, no more than 30k total), it might be worth attending. They place significantly better than the rest of T3, and outperform several T2 schools as well.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=howard

I'd seriously consider retaking the LSAT in Feb, though. A few extra points would give you a lot of leverage to remove their stipulations on scholarships.

IMO they're not budging on those stipulations no matter what. Many people tried last year unsuccessfully. There was even a Howard 1L in the thread who told us basically what you see is what you get in terms of the stips.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”