ED UVA/Throwing in the Towel

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Should I change my UVA RD to ED?

Yes; do it right now
14%
Not yet; wait until January
20%
No; pray for some spring/WL acceptance love
66%

Total votes: 35

Crowing

ED UVA/Throwing in the Towel

Postby Crowing » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:43 pm

3.46/173, boring softs, 1y of boring FTWE by next summer

I applied everywhere in mid-September. Currently my cycle looks like:

In - GULC, Vandy, WUSTL
Deferred - Cornell (EA), Penn (ED)
Pending - CLS, Chi, NYU, UVA, Mich, Duke

Being deferred ED at Penn and missing out on RD acceptance waves at the rest of the T-14 has me pretty worried. It seems like others with my numbers or even lower have already secured some better options. And I don't mean this to slight anyone, but many Penn ED acceptances had significantly lower numbers than me, making me think that there are some concerns with the rest of my application that are going to hurt me across the board.

I'm wondering at this point if it is at all worth it to hold out hope for an RD acceptance. Assuming CLS/Chi are out, what is the tangible difference between UVA and say NYU or Duke? Am I correct in assuming it's much smaller than the gap between UVA and GULC/Vandy? I am just looking to land biglaw or a fed clerkship; location is not a huge deal (NYC, Chi, and my hometown are all acceptable).

Waiting longer carries the risk of UVA giving me an RD ding or WL which would throw the ED option out the window. Although I'm not really convinced I would get in ED either lol.

Trout et al

Re: ED UVA/Throwing in the Towel

Postby Trout et al » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:53 pm

I would wait things out with your LSAT. If things don't work out, you can always reapply next year with another year of work experience.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:20 pm

Tough position. But I'm not thoroughly convinced that UVA is that much of an upgrade over GULC. Are you K-JD? Why no NW?

JWalker

Postby JWalker » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:25 pm

Wait it out. I think you'll eventually get NYU and below, and once schools start taking people off their waitlists some might even offer you money.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:45 pm

I thought about this a bit and I think you should wait it out

SEngland

Postby SEngland » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:50 pm

Absolutely wait it out.

Personally,

Cornell >>> UVA

twenty

Postby twenty » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:29 pm

If you get something decent this year (i.e, Cornell/Michigan/Duke with some money), take that. Otherwise, sit out cycle and ED to NYU next year. If you get deferred at NYU next year, then ED UVA at that point.

Personally, I think you'll have plenty of better options.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:48 pm

To add to your thoughts: I'd imagine an ED UVA would be a sure thing for you.

I think I'd wait it out though. Worse case scenario you go "man I shoulda ED'ed" then guess what, ED UVA next sept. At least then you'd know for certain.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:53 pm

I would wait. NYU is going to want that LSAT. They just might not know it yet.

Postby 005618502 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:06 pm

SEngland wrote:Absolutely wait it out.

Personally,

Cornell >>> UVA

:lol:

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:21 pm

Thanks for the input everyone. This cycle is proceeding rather strangely; despite apps being down 25% some schools seem be to employing even higher standards. My speculation straight out of my ass is that apps are down so much that many schools are considering significantly slashing class sizes instead of lowering admissions standards, therefore they are being unusually conservative right now.

I know that purely based on my numbers I should end up with some better options, but it's easy to get neurotic and wonder if somehow I'm a particularly bad candidate because of the poor showing so far - LoRs? That can't be it; my professors sent me them when they were submitted so I know they're good. Essays? Probably not; GULC mentioned liking my PS. Extracurricular experiences? I would rate myself very low in this category, but it's not like I've never done any work or volunteering outside of school, and most people haven't done anything totally amazing.

UVA's employment statistics are pretty scary; take away their school-funded jobs and their numbers are practically identical to Vandy's. I guess it's time to dig in for a long cycle.

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:31 pm

I have a very strong feeling that if you wait it out, by the end of the cycle you are going to be much happier with your options than if you were attending UVA at sticker. I definitely think that law schools don't quite know what to expect with another huge drop in applications, so I think there will be a ton of movement on waitlists like we saw at the very end of the last cycle. I think that those who ride out the waitlists this year will be rewarded big time. Best of luck!

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:25 pm

Relax. You'll probably get $ at one of M,V,Gulc, or Duke

And I think you have a good shot of getting into CCN

I'd be surprised if not one of those options came through, any one of which would be better than uva @ sticker

Postby 2014 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:32 pm

NYU took everyone with your numbers last year who waited long enough to get a final decision.

I'm at UChi with a worse GPA than you and you are at our 75th LSAT, and Columbia took a couple 177/3.3s so I wouldn't count yourself out of either.

Definitely do not ED UVA

Justin Genious

Postby Justin Genious » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:54 am

lol don't stress it man. You'll get into one of CCN. Don't be ED'ing to a school that's substantially inferior to a school you will definitely get into this cycle.

Don't let a deferral from UPenn scare you that much. While I must admit I would not have expected that decision based on your numbers, I am certain you're numbers will get you into NYU.

http://mylsn.info/dispresults.php
Last edited by Justin Genious on Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:00 am

Retake.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:04 am

Crowing wrote:Thanks for the input everyone. This cycle is proceeding rather strangely; despite apps being down 25% some schools seem be to employing even higher standards. My speculation straight out of my ass is that apps are down so much that many schools are considering significantly slashing class sizes instead of lowering admissions standards, therefore they are being unusually conservative right now.

I know that purely based on my numbers I should end up with some better options, but it's easy to get neurotic and wonder if somehow I'm a particularly bad candidate because of the poor showing so far - LoRs? That can't be it; my professors sent me them when they were submitted so I know they're good. Essays? Probably not; GULC mentioned liking my PS. Extracurricular experiences? I would rate myself very low in this category, but it's not like I've never done any work or volunteering outside of school, and most people haven't done anything totally amazing.

UVA's employment statistics are pretty scary; take away their school-funded jobs and their numbers are practically identical to Vandy's. I guess it's time to dig in for a long cycle.

This is what happened last cycle, too. Expect most people to get in off the waitlist. When push comes to shove you're going to see $$$ > standards.

Uncle.Joe

Postby Uncle.Joe » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:08 pm

UVA's employment stats are not the same as Vandy's

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=vanderbilt
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=uva

But yeah i would not ED

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:16 pm

Uncle.Joe wrote:UVA's employment stats are not the same as Vandy's

But yeah i would not ED

Do you know what school funded jobs means bro?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:22 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:

But yeah i would not ED

But Vandy's school-funded rate is huge too... Am I missing something?

Sheffield

Postby Sheffield » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:22 pm

Maybe I have this upside down, but. . . .I would think that with applications down that O1s have become smarter, realizing that they have to secure a T-14. Meaning that those who may have otherwise chosen a school geographically (or because it is their UG school) are strictly seeking a T14. Thus making it harder than ever for others (with a lower GPA/LSAT) to qualify for a T14.

In OPs case the result is that an ED still would not open the door.

M458

Postby M458 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:23 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:

But yeah i would not ED

LST shows the school-funded percentage as being really close between both though (17% vs. 15.3%).

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:28 pm

IAFG wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:

But yeah i would not ED

But Vandy's school-funded rate is huge too... Am I missing something?

No

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:29 pm

Sheffield wrote:Maybe I have this upside down, but. . . .I would think that with applications down that O1s have become smarter, realizing that they have to secure a T-14. Meaning that those who may have otherwise chosen a school geographically (or because it is their UG school) are strictly seeking a T14. Thus making it harder than ever for others (with a lower GPA/LSAT) to qualify for a T14.

Eh, you're assuming an increase of rationality/wisdom that doesn't really seem warranted. Just to begin with, most 0Ls don't even know about the decrease of applications that you mentioned; if they lack that knowledge, then by your own reasoning, they would not "[realize] that they have to secure a T14."

It's much more likely that schools are cautiously attempting to wait out this decrease of applications than that 0Ls have, across-the-board, become smarter and distinctively changed their application strategies--in the same way, no less.
Last edited by suralin on Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:32 pm

Sheffield wrote:Maybe I have this upside down, but. . . .I would think that with applications down that O1s have become smarter, realizing that they have to secure a T-14. Meaning that those who may have otherwise chosen a school geographically (or because it is their UG school) are strictly seeking a T14. Thus making it harder than ever for others (with a lower GPA/LSAT) to qualify for a T14.

Even if this theory had truth to it, if there were a sudden and drastic change in 0L behavior, it would lead to over enrollment before it lead to a more competitive cycle.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”