NYU v UVA (WITH Money)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Re: NYU v UVA (WITH Money)

Postby 02889 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:42 am

Just to briefly add to this LRAP discussion, Penn's terms sound nearly identical to NYU's, so unless NYU has some other hidden benefit, I think perhaps NYU isn't as remarkable as everyone is saying. I also think that UVA's LRAP was revamped in the last few years, but I haven't looked at the details.

From Penn's LRAP FAQ:

Q: How do you determine eligible employment?
A: The TolLRAP Counselor will review your job description to confirm that the work is law-related, in that you substantially utilize the legal training and skills that you learned in law school, and at an eligible organization, including a nonprofit organization or institution, including international or foreign NGOs or organizations, whose primary purpose is to serve or advocate on behalf of individuals or organizations whose interests, for various economic, political or social reasons, are not adequately represented by the private sector or the government. Questions of eligibility will be referred to the Administrative Committee.

Q: I am working for an international aid agency, a government agency, or at a non-profit on policy issues, am I eligible?
A: If you are doing law-related work at an eligible organization, then your work should be eligible. The final determination of eligibility will be made by the Administrative Committee.

Q: I am working for a private firm, am I eligible?
A: Work at a private firm requires an individual review to ensure that the position is (1) intended to further the public interest and (2) that at least 51 percent of the work done by both the organization and the participant will involve provision of legal services at no fee, a reduced fee or fees for court-appointed representations to individuals or organizations who are not adequately represented by the private sector or the government. The final determination of eligibility will be made by the Administrative Committee.

shntn

Postby shntn » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:55 am

Br3v wrote:If all you want is biglaw, UVA easy choice due to it being half the cost just subsidizing your debt in the event you strike out.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:40 pm

shntn wrote:
Br3v wrote:If all you want is biglaw, UVA easy choice due to it being half the cost just subsidizing your debt in the event you strike out.

this makes NO sense to me. if you want biglaw, you want biglaw, not to have less debt but fail at biglaw.

shntn

Postby shntn » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:47 pm

IAFG wrote:
shntn wrote:

this makes NO sense to me. if you want biglaw, you want biglaw, not to have less debt but fail at biglaw.

NYU has only marginally better biglaw prospects per LST. I'd rather start out with less debt if possible, so it makes perfect sense to me.

jrf12886

Postby jrf12886 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:54 pm

I would go to UVA. If you are dead-set on NYC, then NYU. But otherwise, Charlottesville is a lot cheaper, and you will graduate with a lot less debt and have decent employment prospects at UVA.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”