NYU v UVA (WITH Money) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
domori

New

Re: NYU v UVA (WITH Money)

Post by domori » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:06 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:
EDIT> Also, if QoL was an issue (which it shouldn't be, but hey), NYU hands down.
not necessarily true for everyone. I personally love NYC, but many of my friends who went to NYU/Columbia for undergrad hated living in NYC

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:07 pm

Wait a minute, are you guys saying that NYU's LRAP covers you even if you don't work as a lawyer? If that's the case then people need to go to NYU over every top 14 except HYS regardless lol. Really, I'm not joking.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:21 pm

BruceWayne wrote:Wait a minute, are you guys saying that NYU's LRAP covers you even if you don't work as a lawyer? If that's the case then people need to go to NYU over every top 14 except HYS regardless lol. Really, I'm not joking.
no that's not quite right. Yale's does though. It covers like literally everything under 100K

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:31 pm

NYU's website seems to indicate that their LRAP will cover policy, federal, state, and local jobs that are "JD preferred." It apparently solidly relies on some advisor at NYU to be able to make that distinction. I don't think I'd ED to NYU without first having talked to a lot of people to make sure that's actually as liberal as it looks, but prima facie, that's still a significant improvement on a lot of other T14 schools.

Again, this could be an elaborate flame.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:55 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:NYU's website seems to indicate that their LRAP will cover policy, federal, state, and local jobs that are "JD preferred." It apparently solidly relies on some advisor at NYU to be able to make that distinction. I don't think I'd ED to NYU without first having talked to a lot of people to make sure that's actually as liberal as it looks, but prima facie, that's still a significant improvement on a lot of other T14 schools.

Again, this could be an elaborate flame.
If it's TRULY that lenient then THAT is a solid reason to go to NYU at sticker over a "lower" top 14. Going there for a better shot at Davis Polk or Weil if you land in the top half of the class than you would get being in the top half at a lower top 14 isn't. Too many people make these decisions based off of what will happen to them if they land in the upper half of the class of one school vs. the upper half of the other school. Instead they should be looking at what will happen to them if they land in the bottom of half of school A vs. what will happen if they land in the bottom half of school B. Once you start looking at the various schools through that lens you start to realize that most of the top 14 are the same, outside of what they will do for you if they are located in your home region. I.e bottom half of NYU and bottom half of Duke are not in an appreciably different situation in terms of getting a job.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:57 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:
EDIT> Also, if QoL was an issue (which it shouldn't be, but hey), NYU hands down.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:44 pm

IAFG wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Egregious anti-NYC trolling.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:48 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
IAFG wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Egregious anti-NYC trolling.
NYC is its own anti-NYC trolling.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:49 pm

IAFG wrote: NYC is its own anti-NYC trolling.
Not a fan of the hustle and bustle?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:51 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
IAFG wrote: NYC is its own anti-NYC trolling.
Not a fan of the hustle and bustle?
Not a fan of the grime and trash. In Chicago, they power wash the sidewalks. In NYC, they use them as temporary dumpsters 3 times a week.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:55 pm

IAFG wrote: Not a fan of the grime and trash. In Chicago, they power wash the sidewalks. In NYC, they use them as temporary dumpsters 3 times a week.
Depending on the borough I suppose, but MFH and most of Brooklyn are clean.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:57 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
IAFG wrote: Not a fan of the grime and trash. In Chicago, they power wash the sidewalks. In NYC, they use them as temporary dumpsters 3 times a week.
Depending on the borough I suppose, but MFH and most of Brooklyn are clean.
I don't think much of your definition of "clean."

gaucholaw

Bronze

Post by gaucholaw » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:25 am

2) Don't try to fucking tell me that you're not going to get
a PASSION for the law instead of just your J.D.
We have bar none, the happiest group of students in the T14. You're silly for trying to call us a degree mill.[/quote]

Good sir, my apologies if you took that comment as being a dig at nyu - it was 't. It was a dig at the OP for not bringing up the subject of which school will give him the most passion for law as a CRITERIA.... I do believe i mentioned originally - and if i didn't i shall now - it can be perfectly reasonable and rational to choose NYU over UVA, disregarding the rankings..... i just think most ppl on here are obsessed with usnewsrankings,

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:31 am

gaucholaw wrote:2) Don't try to fucking tell me that you're not going to get
a PASSION for the law instead of just your J.D.
We have bar none, the happiest group of students in the T14. You're silly for trying to call us a degree mill.

Good sir, my apologies if you took that comment as being a dig at nyu - it was 't. It was a dig at the OP for not bringing up the subject of which school will give him the most passion for law as a CRITERIA.... I do believe i mentioned originally - and if i didn't i shall now - it can be perfectly reasonable and rational to choose NYU over UVA, disregarding the rankings..... i just think most ppl on here are obsessed with usnewsrankings,[/quote]
OK, my bad. Sorry, a little finals edgy.
On that though, it's not something we could ever measure so I think that giving the best advice based on objective measures is a lot more helpful than speculating on that other stuff.

thelawyler

Silver

Post by thelawyler » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:54 am

OP, I made a similar decision except with Michigan, and I chose NYU and don't regret it at all.

Sheffield

Bronze

Post by Sheffield » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:58 am

Out of curiosity why not the best of all worlds. . . Philly COL is notably less than NYC plus you have an avenue into NYC BL or into a large Philly law firm.

izy223

Bronze

Post by izy223 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:04 am

i made a similar decision with a slightly larger scholarship from NW and DUKE and i chose NYU. I cant speak for the other t-14s but the lack/lax competition at NYU has really taken the pressure off. That + the fact that 20% of your class will not be competing for you for jobs bec they believe in doing good.

I havent gotten my grades yet or went through EIW but so fat I am thankful of my decision to chose NYU (and NYC in general) over other places

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:44 am

Sheffield wrote:Out of curiosity why not the best of all worlds. . . Philly COL is notably less than NYC plus you have an avenue into NYC BL or into a large Philly law firm.
But see, then you'd have to live in Philly.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:50 am

twentypercentmore wrote:
Sheffield wrote:Out of curiosity why not the best of all worlds. . . Philly COL is notably less than NYC plus you have an avenue into NYC BL or into a large Philly law firm.
But see, then you'd have to live in Philly.
Far better option than NYC.

RSterling

Bronze

Post by RSterling » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:12 pm

[quote="JamMasterJ'] 1) Yes there isn't a huge employment gap, but when you look at the fact that both schools are going to put him in the kind of debt that requires biglaw or LRAP, having a slighlty better biglaw shot and a MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better LRAP is important. If this were NYU at high cost v. UVA at manageable cost, I'd say UVA is probably the better choice. But you're still talking well over 100K in total debt. When you thrown in the fact that people who get 1/2 schollies at UVA and get into NYU in the first week of RD are likely to get SIGNIFICANT money from NYU, I don't think the difference is going to be huge, and not big enough to overcome the LRAP/biglaw boost issue.

[/quote]

The bolded is completeley false. I got a half scholly to UVA this year and no one on LSN with my numbers got any money from NYU last year except for URMs. To say that it's "likely" is untrue. And NYU's LRAP is better than UVA's, but probably not worth taking a half-scholly at a school with comparable employment numbers and a significantly lower COL.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:56 pm

RSterling wrote: The bolded is completeley false. I got a half scholly to UVA this year and no one on LSN with my numbers got any money from NYU last year except for URMs. To say that it's "likely" is untrue. And NYU's LRAP is better than UVA's, but probably not worth taking a half-scholly at a school with comparable employment numbers and a significantly lower COL.
It's probably best to ask OP what his/her numbers are and go from there. I was just skimming through the list of people who got in the 30-75K range at UVA and there were quite a few who didn't apply to NYU or only posted a scholly for UVA, which indicates that they may not have posted all scholly information. Again, I'm not saying I'm right and you're wrong, but it's probably better to analyze it from what OP's stats are likely to get than either metric that you or I are trying to use.

I got about a half scholarship at NYU and got WL'd at UVA, for what it's worth.
I was simply saying that a significant portion of the people who get into UVA RD have pretty strong numbers.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:44 pm

UVA seems to have switched things up quite a bit this year with the decline in apps. Not sure if past years will be all that helpful.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:44 pm

This is the official statement from the NYU LRAP program description on eligibility:
Eligible positions must “involve law,” as determined by the Program Administrator. Such
positions generally require the employee to use his or her legal training to a significant degree,
are often held by members of the legal profession, and/or generally have a minimal educational
requirement of a JD degree.
I would caution against reading this too broadly. Though it may be (in fact, likely is, in my understanding) somewhat more generous than many other schools, including UVA.

Anyway, these threads are really kind of silly. We need far more information about your likes, dislikes, goals, how risk averse you are, et cetera, to give any kind of informed advice.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:31 pm

Eligible positions must “involve law,” as determined by the Program Administrator. Such
positions generally require the employee to use his or her legal training to a significant degree,
are often held by members of the legal profession, and/or generally have a minimal educational
The bolded makes me think there is a fair amount of wiggle room. I came across another page (that I'm too lazy to go back and find now) that explicitly mentioned that policy jobs would fall under this definition.

Because I probably have to say this in every single post, THIS IS ALL STILL CONJECTURE.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:52 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:
The bolded makes me think there is a fair amount of wiggle room. I came across another page (that I'm too lazy to go back and find now) that explicitly mentioned that policy jobs would fall under this definition.

Because I probably have to say this in every single post, THIS IS ALL STILL CONJECTURE.
There's wiggle room for the school to determine in its sole discretion whether your job qualifies. I wouldn't put a $100,000 bet on that. And I'm an NYU student.

To contrast this, though, people I've known at UVA, and some other T14 schools, have literally like not even heard that there was such a thing as LRAP. And the terms of their program, as least as of a year or two ago, were relatively poor. So NYU is definitely ahead of the curve on this.

I would just add two more things. One, I don't know what kind of "policy" job you're talking about, but almost any such JD-required or JD-preferred position will be immensely competitive. You probably will need to get a fellowship (Skadden or similar). Any 0L interested in doing this sort of thing really needs to research these fellowships and understand how competitive they are. Two, to qualify for LRAP, your work needs to qualify under the federal PSLFP, so keep that in mind as well.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”