Better school, or scholarship in city I want to work in?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Lord Randolph McDuff

Re: Better school, or scholarship in city I want to work in?

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:03 pm

mloving2 wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:If I was you, I would slow play Tech and get them to discount you tuition. Even 5k a year would be nice.

Go to Tech, do not even consider going to the school in Ft. Worth. You will have a long career; going to Wesleyan will ensure that you will have professional regret for a long time.

How can I slow play? I'd like to do just this

I would put off the first seat deposit and try to get some money. Email the dean of admissions and say I need merit scholarship to make this thing feasible, and I have a cheaper option. Try to be tactful and give them lots of ways out. They will get the msg: you won't enroll without help, but you are really close. If no beans, then pay first seat deposit and still email the admissions dean every two weeks asking for updates on scholarships.. They will make it easy to negotiate, bc they will say something like "we're out of money." That way, you can just email and ask if any money has freed up, so it isn't awkward. Finally, if still no dice, tell them about X school and how you may have to withdraw and go there bc they are cheaper. Ask them how long you can wait and hope for money from Tech before withdrawing.

This might all sound nuts but adcomms do this all day long. It won't be weird.

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:18 pm

The OP didn't get any scholarship money from Tech. Why aren't we shouting RETAKE?

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:28 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:The OP didn't get any scholarship money from Tech. Why aren't we shouting RETAKE?

I dunno. It gets boring.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”