Better school, or scholarship in city I want to work in?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mloving2

Better school, or scholarship in city I want to work in?

Postby mloving2 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:21 pm

I have been accepted into Texas Tech Law with no scholarship (but I want to go there) and I've gotten a $35,000 scholarship to go to Texas Wesleyan (stay in top 25%) which is in fort worth, and I want to work there. Wesleyan is not a great school, it's pretty bad. However, the only other school in town is SMU, so I understand that Grads from Wesleyan that want to work in Fort Worth do okay there, if they graduate towards the top.

What do you guys think?

Also I'd like to add that I will be attending law school no matter what the negative posters say. You can be worried all you want, I am too, but LS is right for me. I've contemplated and I've decided on it. Please no comments like "you just shouldn't go to law school." I got into other places, but they just aren't right for me.

Give me some thoughts please!

fruitoftheloom

Re: Better school, or scholarship in city I want to work in?

Postby fruitoftheloom » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:31 pm

Some thoughts based on what you posted:

-TTech is $22k / yr for Texas residents. That's not THAT bad. How much would Wesleyan be?

-Wesleyan is REALLY bad, and contrary to what you said, their graduates have a VERY difficult time finding jobs in the market. I think South Texas College of Law has a better reputation than Wesleyan.

-Wesleyan has been purchased by A&M. This could improve its reputation, but probably not fast enough to affect you.

-Top 25% is a difficult stipulation. I know you plan to be in the top 25%, but so does everyone else. Are you prepared to drop out if you don't make top 25%?

mloving2

Postby mloving2 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:36 pm

Your thinking the exact same way I'm thinking. I have dedication to work hard and be the best, but I believe that nobody really knows how they'll do in law school, so yeah I can't count on being a prodigy. I did visit Wesleyan and like the atmosphere, but of course it was their recruiting day, but they showed off their Harvard educated professors, and tried to make a case that their bar passage was better than south texas. IDK if that's true, but who cares. From what I understand if you buy barbri and dedicated some time to it, you'll pass the bar. I've also heard that Texas Tech doesn't dominate any market, but they do get hired around the state (except austin), Heard any of this?

princessofpower

Postby princessofpower » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:38 pm

Baylor also feeds into the Dallas/Ft. Worth market.

Have you considered attending SMU and/or Baylor?

mloving2

Postby mloving2 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:40 pm

princessofpower wrote:Baylor also feeds into the Dallas/Ft. Worth market.

Have you considered attending SMU and/or Baylor?

yes, I can afford neither one of them. I mean not a chance.

JXander

Postby JXander » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:41 pm

mloving2 wrote:I have been accepted into Texas Tech Law with no scholarship (but I want to go there) and I've gotten a $35,000 scholarship to go to Texas Wesleyan (stay in top 25%) which is in fort worth, and I want to work there. Wesleyan is not a great school, it's pretty bad. However, the only other school in town is SMU, so I understand that Grads from Wesleyan that want to work in Fort Worth do okay there, if they graduate towards the top.

What do you guys think?

Have you applied to SMU or Baylor? I am in a similar spot, but debating between those three at the moment. SMU has not gotten back to me about scholarship information.

Wesleyan is really, really bad. Not merely as far as employment prospects, but also location, classes, and quality of life. I would not encourage anyone to go there. I think that you should give more weight to Tech. They are around the same price range as Wesleyan with significantly higher bar passage rates and employment prospects. I have several friends attending who say that Tech, while not as highly ranked as SMU and Baylor, is a very good school and that they feel comfortable about finding a career upon graduation.

kwais

Postby kwais » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:41 pm

you must remove that stipulation before you even consider it.

Postby 20130312 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:44 pm

kwais wrote:you must remove that stipulation before you even consider it.

Seriously. You have a 75% chance of losing it. Talk to the admissions office and see what they can do.

mloving2

Postby mloving2 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:49 pm

Yeah I do want to go to Tech. Really I think I'm just trying to talk myself out of the scholarship, and yall are right, 75% chance of losing it is tough. Could you tell me more about the students you know at Tech? PM me if you want, but I know some people having this same debate as well.

Also, how much credit do yall give Law School Transparency? It's painting the exact same picture this thread is...but then again this forum usually is only concerned with scholly money in a lot of cases

Postby 20130312 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:51 pm

mloving2 wrote:Also, how much credit do yall give Law School Transparency? It's painting the exact same picture this thread is...but then again this forum usually is only concerned with scholly money in a lot of cases

Not sure what you mean by how much credit. LST takes the data that the schools release and uses it to make charts and graphs. Some of the guys that run LST are actually members of this forum.

skri65

Postby skri65 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:55 pm

mloving2 wrote:I have been accepted into Texas Tech Law with no scholarship (but I want to go there) and I've gotten a $35,000 scholarship to go to Texas Wesleyan (stay in top 25%) which is in fort worth, and I want to work there. Wesleyan is not a great school, it's pretty bad. However, the only other school in town is SMU, so I understand that Grads from Wesleyan that want to work in Fort Worth do okay there, if they graduate towards the top.

What do you guys think?

Also I'd like to add that I will be attending law school no matter what the negative posters say. You can be worried all you want, I am too, but LS is right for me. I've contemplated and I've decided on it. Please no comments like "you just shouldn't go to law school." I got into other places, but they just aren't right for me.

Give me some thoughts please!

Money is an issue it seems, as it is with everyone. I certainly won't tell you not to go to law school, I hate it when people say that. But there is some value in retaking the LSAT if you didn't give it your all the first time. Higher LSAT score means you could get huge scholarship to Texas Tech or even SMU. If you get into a tough financial situation or a tough employment situation a few years down the line you will be kicking yourself wishing you had retaken it. Best of luck!

StylinNProfilin

Postby StylinNProfilin » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:25 pm

JakeAsch wrote: Have you applied to SMU or Baylor?

I know you said u cant afford them, but SMU and Baylor are very generous with their scholarship offers. Not sure what your numbers are though.

Teflon_Don

Postby Teflon_Don » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:35 pm

StylinNProfilin wrote:

I know you said u cant afford them, but SMU and Baylor are very generous with their scholarship offers. Not sure what your numbers are though.

This. Also Baylor's app is free, you should spare the $21 and see what happens

princessofpower

Postby princessofpower » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:37 pm

Teflon_Don wrote:
StylinNProfilin wrote:

This. Also Baylor's app is free, you should spare the $21 and see what happens

SMU will also grant solicited fee waivers.

kiwi4president

Postby kiwi4president » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:56 pm

I go to UH law and upperclassmen above median are worried about finding jobs. I have heard the same from friends at SMU. Attending Weslyean may be the worst decision of your life. At least Tech can place you in west Texas. Weslyean is likely to place you in the unemployment line.
Last edited by kiwi4president on Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mloving2

Postby mloving2 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:07 pm

kiwi4president wrote:I go to UH law and upperclassmen above median are worried about finding jobs. I have heard the same from friends at SMU. Attending Weslyean may be the worst decision of your life. At least Tech can place you in east Texas. Weslyean is likely to place you in the unemployment line.

I think so too. I'm from East Texas and working there would be pretty nice. I'm not a guy thats big law or bust, but do you think Tech can really do that?

kiwi4president

Postby kiwi4president » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:19 pm

v
Last edited by kiwi4president on Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:24 pm

See my response in your other thread: posting.php?mode=reply&f=1&t=200078

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:27 pm

kiwi4president wrote:Most definitely. The major law schools target their respective cities. Dallas, Houston, Austin. Texas Tech is the only school in East Texas and because of that it is respected in that area and places well into it. If you do not care about biglaw and would be cool with working at a small town PD or DA office or some small law gig then Texas Tech is the way to go in your situation, aside from the obvious advice to retake. Furthermore, Texas Tech is relatively cheap compared to other law schools. That being said if you retake and score marginally better you most likely have a great shot at some scholarship money from Tech.

Assuming she has to borrow for COL, COA for Texas Tech is still a ridiculous $136k according to LST. How is she going to pay off that debt without biglaw? Otherwise I'd agree with you.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:45 pm

If I was you, I would slow play Tech and get them to discount you tuition. Even 5k a year would be nice.

Go to Tech, do not even consider going to the school in Ft. Worth. You will have a long career; going to Wesleyan will ensure that you will have professional regret for a long time.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:48 pm

kiwi4president wrote:Most definitely. The major law schools target their respective cities. Dallas, Houston, Austin. Texas Tech is the only school in East Texas and because of that it is respected in that area and places well into it. If you do not care about biglaw and would be cool with working at a small town PD or DA office or some small law gig then Texas Tech is the way to go in your situation, aside from the obvious advice to retake. Furthermore, Texas Tech is relatively cheap compared to other law schools. That being said if you retake and score marginally better you most likely have a great shot at some scholarship money from Tech.

Also just so we are clear Lubbock is the epitome of W. Texas, not E. Texas.

mloving2

Postby mloving2 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:06 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:If I was you, I would slow play Tech and get them to discount you tuition. Even 5k a year would be nice.

Go to Tech, do not even consider going to the school in Ft. Worth. You will have a long career; going to Wesleyan will ensure that you will have professional regret for a long time.

How can I slow play? I'd like to do just this

kiwi4president

Postby kiwi4president » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:32 pm

v

jenesaislaw

Postby jenesaislaw » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:32 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
mloving2 wrote:Also, how much credit do yall give Law School Transparency? It's painting the exact same picture this thread is...but then again this forum usually is only concerned with scholly money in a lot of cases

Not sure what you mean by how much credit. LST takes the data that the schools release and uses it to make charts and graphs. Some of the guys that run LST are actually members of this forum.

whattup

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:36 pm

Op, what are your numbers? This will dictate what you should do.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”