Which school should I attend?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Assuming middle of class which school will have a higher paying job afterward?

George Washington University
40
39%
Washington and Lee
4
4%
Fordham
38
37%
Iowa
1
1%
Wisconsin
3
3%
William and Mary
2
2%
Ohio State University
5
5%
University of Maryland
3
3%
American University
2
2%
Florida State
4
4%
 
Total votes: 102

havanese11
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:45 pm

Which school should I attend?

Postby havanese11 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:20 pm

If cost isn't an issue and we are assuming I am NOT top 10% regardless of the school then which of these would give me better job prospects upon graduation?

Edit: I've already applied to these schools and been accepted to some and still waiting to hear from others. I did the poll to help me narrow down my options. Your comments are appreciated as well.
Last edited by havanese11 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
AbbeyRoadLaw
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: Which school should I attend?

Postby AbbeyRoadLaw » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:10 pm

havanese11 wrote:If cost isn't an issue and we are assuming I am NOT top 10% regardless of the school then which of these would give me better job prospects upon graduation?

http://www.lawschooltransparency.com

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Which school should I attend?

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:18 pm

Need more information. COA is still relevant unless job prospects differ significantly. Any special abilities or work experience may also affect your employment results. Contacts to the area.

User avatar
Gatriel
Posts: 2015
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:30 pm

Re: Which school should I attend?

Postby Gatriel » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:19 pm

Wasn't there something (from a few years back now) that had Fordham having some ridiculously high average starting salary?

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Which school should I attend?

Postby Rahviveh » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:20 pm

Gatriel wrote:Wasn't there something (from a few years back now) that had Fordham having some ridiculously high average starting salary?


Pre-ITE Fordham was a pretty damn good law school. Such a shame

User avatar
moonman157
Posts: 1039
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:26 pm

Re: Which school should I attend?

Postby moonman157 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:38 pm

Where are you from/where do you want to work?

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Which school should I attend?

Postby dingbat » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:42 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
Gatriel wrote:Wasn't there something (from a few years back now) that had Fordham having some ridiculously high average starting salary?


Pre-ITE Fordham was a pretty damn good law school. Such a shame

Still significant shot at Biglaw

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Which school should I attend?

Postby Rahviveh » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:47 pm

dingbat wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:
Gatriel wrote:Wasn't there something (from a few years back now) that had Fordham having some ridiculously high average starting salary?


Pre-ITE Fordham was a pretty damn good law school. Such a shame

Still significant shot at Biglaw


Agreed, with a scholly I still think Fordham is a great option

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Which school should I attend?

Postby Nova » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:05 pm

Definitly GW or F for pure salary. Of course cost of living will be higher in those markets too....

Iowa and Wisc are good bets if you are ok with staying there. They dominate their markets + cheap COL

Putting American on the list is a joke, right?

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Which school should I attend?

Postby dingbat » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:18 pm

I don't know why GW is outperforming Fordham by as much as it is.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: Which school should I attend?

Postby North » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:43 am

dingbat wrote:I don't know why GW is outperforming Fordham by as much as it is.

Highest USNWR Ranking of the schools on the list. Raking in those 0L lurker votes.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Which school should I attend?

Postby cinephile » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:11 pm

It depends where you're from. Going to a regional school might be a waste of your time if the market is insular and not open to outsiders.

EdgarWinter
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:47 pm

Re: Which school should I attend?

Postby EdgarWinter » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:44 pm

.
Last edited by EdgarWinter on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Which school should I attend?

Postby dingbat » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:46 pm

cinephile wrote:It depends where you're from. Going to a regional school might be a waste of your time if the market is insular and not open to outsiders.

Hence why Fordham is the best option. It's more or less tied with GW for placement and with W&L and W&M for rankings, but it's in the major market that is least insular and most open to outsiders

JWalker
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:09 pm

Re: Which school should I attend?

Postby JWalker » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:20 pm

Retake and reapply next cycle.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Which school should I attend?

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:22 pm

Where do you live? If midwest, Wisconsin/OSU. Otherwise Fordham/retake

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: Which school should I attend?

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:24 pm

dingbat wrote:
cinephile wrote:It depends where you're from. Going to a regional school might be a waste of your time if the market is insular and not open to outsiders.

Hence why Fordham is the best option. It's more or less tied with GW for placement and with W&L and W&M for rankings, but it's in the major market that is least insular and most open to outsiders


Yeah cuz everyone in Wisconsin is... racist? irrational? scared of.. southerners?

Guys, people who hire lawyers are lawyers, not hillbillys who don't like you because "ur not from around here, ain't cha?"

The only reason to worry about ties to an area is if you can't convince employers that you are committed to living and working in that area. Going to the local school, Wisco, gets you 9/10 of the way to a credible story about why you want to live in Milwaukee. That is, of course, unless you are dumb enough to attend Wisconsin--Madison with hopes of working in FL. In that case there is no hope for you, anyway.

JamMasterJ wrote:Where do you live? If midwest, Wisconsin/OSU. Otherwise Fordham/retake


+1

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Which school should I attend?

Postby 20130312 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:29 pm

Way to burn someone for talking about ties and then agree with them.

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: Which school should I attend?

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:18 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:Way to burn someone for talking about ties and then agree with them.


Thx.

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: Which school should I attend?

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:38 pm

Come back with an LSAT score, uGPA, and scholarship numbers. Until then, this thread is pretty useless.

User avatar
John Milton
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:01 pm

Fordham

Postby John Milton » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:53 pm

I hear Fordham has pretty solid employment statistics. Kind of need to know more about you and what your ideal endgame is.

locthebloke
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:13 pm

Re: Which school should I attend?

Postby locthebloke » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:48 am

John Milton wrote:I hear Fordham has pretty solid employment statistics. Kind of need to know more about you and what your ideal endgame is.


Well, you heard wrong. Anyone but the very top Fordham students are going to end up hosed. If you're the average Fordham grad be prepared to get in-line behind Columbia, NYU, Cornell, and all the other Ivy grads and Stanford grads that flock to the super desirable, super saturated NYC market.

Pro tip: Law schools all like you to think they have "pretty solid" employment numbers.

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3139
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: Which school should I attend?

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:47 pm

OP is asking the wrong questions.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Fordham

Postby dingbat » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:21 pm

John Milton wrote:I hear Fordham has pretty solid employment statistics. Kind of need to know more about you and what your ideal endgame is.

About a quarter get biglaw or fed clerkship, so you need to be at least top 1/3 to be competitive. Above median you should be able to find a real lawyer job. Bottom 1/3 goes on welfare.

User avatar
dproduct
Posts: 4087
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: Fordham

Postby dproduct » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:44 pm

dingbat wrote:
John Milton wrote:I hear Fordham has pretty solid employment statistics. Kind of need to know more about you and what your ideal endgame is.

About a quarter get biglaw or fed clerkship, so you need to be at least top 1/3 to be competitive. Above median you should be able to find a real lawyer job. Bottom 1/3 goes on welfare.


+1000




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: blueapple and 6 guests