Catholic vs Michigan State? (Both $$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
doglover0702

Bronze

Re: Catholic vs Michigan State? (Both $$)

Post by doglover0702 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:25 am

ashleydy10 wrote:
doglover0702 wrote:I'm still waiting to hear from a few schools, but I got half scholarship offers from both Michigan State and Catholic U. What are the pros and cons of both? I lived in DC for a while and LOVED it, but there are so many law schools there. Michigan terrifies me because I feel like it just keeps getting more desolate every year. But both schools seem like good options, aside from those factors.

I'm not planning on doing big law: I want to go into public interest/advocacy.

I am in the same EXACT situation. In at MSU with 50% and Catholic U at 50%

Also in a LSU with in state tuition granted (i am from FL so in state tuition was a scholarship award), plus 25% in addition to that.

Decisions, decisions. ... TERRIFIED of the cold weather. Seems like something small to be worried about- if you have grown up in the cold- but for a FL girl like me, anything below 40 and im miserable.
Good to hear someone else is in the same boat! As I've been hearing back from other schools, I've DEFINITELY ruled out Catholic. Half scholly at Catholic is a dent in what it's going to cost me overall, and it's not worth it.

As for Michigan State, it's second to last on my list of schools. The money is nice, the cost of living is cheap, but I don't want to live in Michigan. I talked to a current student and they insisted it wasn't a regional school, but regardless I just don't want to live in Michigan, even if it's for 3 years.

ashleydy10

Bronze

Post by ashleydy10 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:03 pm

doglover0702 wrote:
ashleydy10 wrote:
doglover0702 wrote:I'm still waiting to hear from a few schools, but I got half scholarship offers from both Michigan State and Catholic U. What are the pros and cons of both? I lived in DC for a while and LOVED it, but there are so many law schools there. Michigan terrifies me because I feel like it just keeps getting more desolate every year. But both schools seem like good options, aside from those factors.

I am in the same EXACT situation. In at MSU with 50% and Catholic U at 50%

Also in a LSU with in state tuition granted (i am from FL so in state tuition was a scholarship award), plus 25% in addition to that.

Decisions, decisions. ... TERRIFIED of the cold weather. Seems like something small to be worried about- if you have grown up in the cold- but for a FL girl like me, anything below 40 and im miserable.
Good to hear someone else is in the same boat! As I've been hearing back from other schools, I've DEFINITELY ruled out Catholic. Half scholly at Catholic is a dent in what it's going to cost me overall, and it's not worth it.

As for Michigan State, it's second to last on my list of schools. The money is nice, the cost of living is cheap, but I don't want to live in Michigan. I talked to a current student and they insisted it wasn't a regional school, but regardless I just don't want to live in Michigan, even if it's for 3 years.
Yes it seems to me we are in similar boats. Saw your post on my MU thread. Catholic out for me. Like you said, not worth it.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:10 pm

lovelaw27 wrote:
doglover0702 wrote:While I understand that the apparent common consensus among people in these forums is to go to a top 10 school or bust, I didn't ask for opinions on whether to retake or not.

Does anyone have anything to say about whether one school is better for public interest?
Class of 2011

MSU 2.5% of graduates in employed in public interest.
Catholic 1.9% of graduates in employed in public interest.

It is important to keep in mind that more than 50% of the students from these schools couldn't even land a document review job.

Anyone can land a doc review job. I've seen little old ladies with no grad degree doing doc review. It's more likely that a) the students that did doc review reported it as non jd required or b) students were just holding out hope that they could get something else before they signed on with a staffing agency for doc review work.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Way to characterize my law school decision without knowing anything about me. I'm a 3L at a T25 on half scholarship and doing an Article III clerkship next year. But at least 60% of my class is in real trouble. Imagine if you went to one of these schools? Yeah, it's that bad. But feel free to tell me how little I know. You 0Ls know it all.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:20 am

ndirish2010 wrote:Way to characterize my law school decision without knowing anything about me. I'm a 3L at a T25 on half scholarship and doing an Article III clerkship next year. But at least 60% of my class is in real trouble. Imagine if you went to one of these schools? Yeah, it's that bad. But feel free to tell me how little I know. You 0Ls know it all.
This. Love the 0L special snowflake syndrome btw.

As a side note, congrats on the clerkship ND, I remember talking to you after OCI and I would have been really pissed if I was in your shoes after OCI was over given your stats.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:20 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:Way to characterize my law school decision without knowing anything about me. I'm a 3L at a T25 on half scholarship and doing an Article III clerkship next year. But at least 60% of my class is in real trouble. Imagine if you went to one of these schools? Yeah, it's that bad. But feel free to tell me how little I know. You 0Ls know it all.
This. Love the 0L special snowflake syndrome btw.

As a side note, congrats on the clerkship ND, I remember talking to you after OCI and I would have been really pissed if I was in your shoes after OCI was over given your stats.
Thanks, I appreciate it. OCI was brutal, I'm glad I got a "second chance" through the clerkship. And in any case, I wanted to clerk anyhow so I'm pretty happy. Still trying to stay around these forums to talk some sense into 0Ls.

I hope your 3L search goes well, I feel for all of you guys that were no-offered, it's really horrible and there's no explanation for it. People always say personality matters with no-offers, but the people I know were great people.

cahwc12

Silver

Post by cahwc12 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:31 pm

I wrote this up last week for the catholic acceptance/denial thread, but I think you could substitute "Catholic" with Michigan State and it would be just as germane.

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 0#p6215063

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:44 pm

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:01 pm

LSU for that person who mentioned it. Retake for the other. My cousin is graduating next semester from MSU and I'm worried for her. It's bad.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dog

Bronze

Post by Dog » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:33 am

Nova wrote:
ashleydy10 wrote:
Nova wrote:Aside from retaking, LSU is the best option you have.

Im a liking LSU. Definitely not retaking the LSAT because there is no need for that. I did well.
You read this thread, yes?

You would be crazy to go to Catholic. Its the 4th best school in a saturated market. Less than half their grads become lawyers.

You would be crazy to go to MSU. Its the 3rd best law school in a state that is struggling. Less than half their grads become lawyers.

Both schools scholarship stipulations make it more likely than not you will lose your scholarship and end up over paying.
Wait 3rd? What's the second best then, Michigan? We all know #1 is Cooley but that goes without saying.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:39 am

Wayne State > MSU

Eberry

Diamond

Post by Eberry » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:15 am

ndirish2010 wrote:Wayne State > MSU

This. Don't let the rankings fool you. I'm from the murder mitten and can confidently say that employers in Michigan still view Wayne State as an extremely good school and love to hire from it if they can't land UofM grads.

However, Wayne State still isn't a good investment unless you've got a full ride and strong ties in-state (and never want practice outside of Southeast Michigan).

uvabro

Bronze

Post by uvabro » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:00 pm

DON'T LISTEN TO THESE HATERS. GO TO CATHOLIC!

FIRST OFF CATHOLIC HAS THE DC MARKET, AND THERE'S NOT A LOT OF COMPETITION THERE. MOST GEORGETOWN GRADS TRY TO GET OUT OF DC, AND UVA STUDENTS REALLY JUST ALL WORK IN CHARLOTTESVILLE WHICH IS 1 OF THE MAJOR LAW MARKETS IN THE US.

ALSO CATHOLIC IS VERY GOOD ACROSS THE US, BECAUSE THERE ARE CATHOLIC PEOPLE EVERY WHERE SO WHEN THEY SEE THAT RESUME WITH THE BIG C, THEY'RE GOING TO THINK THIS IS A GOOD CHURCH GOER AND A GREAT ADDITION TO OUR FIRM.

ALSO, THERE'S ALWAYS A GOOD CHANCE THE RECRUITER IS DYSLEXIC AND WILL CONFUSE CATHOLIC FOR COLUMBIA SO YOU'RE REALLY GETTING TO GO TO A TOP 5 WITH SCHOLARSHIP $.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:11 pm

uvabro wrote:DON'T LISTEN TO THESE HATERS. GO TO CATHOLIC!

FIRST OFF CATHOLIC HAS THE DC MARKET, AND THERE'S NOT A LOT OF COMPETITION THERE. MOST GEORGETOWN GRADS TRY TO GET OUT OF DC, AND UVA STUDENTS REALLY JUST ALL WORK IN CHARLOTTESVILLE WHICH IS 1 OF THE MAJOR LAW MARKETS IN THE US.

ALSO CATHOLIC IS VERY GOOD ACROSS THE US, BECAUSE THERE ARE CATHOLIC PEOPLE EVERY WHERE SO WHEN THEY SEE THAT RESUME WITH THE BIG C, THEY'RE GOING TO THINK THIS IS A GOOD CHURCH GOER AND A GREAT ADDITION TO OUR FIRM.

ALSO, THERE'S ALWAYS A GOOD CHANCE THE RECRUITER IS DYSLEXIC AND WILL CONFUSE CATHOLIC FOR COLUMBIA SO YOU'RE REALLY GETTING TO GO TO A TOP 5 WITH SCHOLARSHIP $.
This
/thread

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:20 pm

If you're going to troll at least make it funny and/or worth reading.

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:21 pm

Don't go to either of these schools, unless you have a solid repayment option available (help from parents/relatives, money in the bank, real estate, etc.). Since you don't like the idea of Michigan, you already cancelled out MI yourself.

I do know someone that is from IL, went to a school in IN for UG, went to MSU for law school, just took the NY Bar, passed it and now lives out there so it is doable. She was severely involved in Moot Court and so on though.

Don't go to ANY school based on a specific interest.

uvabro

Bronze

Post by uvabro » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:24 pm

BigZuck wrote:

yo f off bro. everyone always gives the same advice about everything. there's no law school secret. it's wide published every where on every forum in every magazine in every newspaper.

if somebody still can't figure it out, it's called darwinism. it is better to let them crumble and let a big business get the $.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:24 pm

We were all 0L snowflakes at one point. I tried the law school route, decided for multiple reasons to take the financial hit now and reconsider law school at a later point (when I could be more selective about my choices) and will pursue a masters degree now. Don't be mean to them. They are just idealistic like I was.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:26 pm

ashleydy10 wrote:Okay well, I was under the impression that this website was a way for students to get some real advice on options. Clearly it is venting system for some very unfortunate students who are simply not happy with the decisions they themselves have made. When someone says I have either A or B as an option and you have the opinion of neither, you are neither helping nor contributing anything positive. Why then do you feel the need to speak?

I've spent the last four years of my life working in a law firm. If that has not convinced me to turn around and not head to law school, you surely wont.

Good day and dont bother responding, because I promise you wont hear from me.

I sincerely hope you both find something better to occupy your time with.
Stop being a damn brat. Both of these schools suck. Hard. A 3.0 gpa stipulation is median and there is a 50% chance you will LOSE that scholarship. MSU is regional. As in Michigan. Not even the Midwest. It is one of the worst law schools in the Big 10 even when you combine the two new Big 10 programs: Maryland and Rutgers. The only good thing about MSU is that it is based in Lansing, so they have SOME connection with state government opportunities. Otherwise, the school sucks hard.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:29 pm

uvabro wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

yo f off bro. everyone always gives the same advice about everything. there's no law school secret. it's wide published every where on every forum in every magazine in every newspaper.

if somebody still can't figure it out, it's called darwinism. it is better to let them crumble and let a big business get the $.
I don't care about the intent, I was critiquing the execution. It was weak. Try harder next time or keep it to yourself brobro.

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:30 pm

sparty99 wrote:
ashleydy10 wrote:Okay well, I was under the impression that this website was a way for students to get some real advice on options. Clearly it is venting system for some very unfortunate students who are simply not happy with the decisions they themselves have made. When someone says I have either A or B as an option and you have the opinion of neither, you are neither helping nor contributing anything positive. Why then do you feel the need to speak?

I've spent the last four years of my life working in a law firm. If that has not convinced me to turn around and not head to law school, you surely wont.

Stop being a damn brat. Both of these schools suck. Hard. A 3.0 gpa stipulation is median and there is a 50% chance you will LOSE that scholarship. MSU is regional. As in Michigan. Not even the Midwest. It is one of the worst law schools in the Big 10 even when you combine the two new Big 10 programs: Maryland and Rutgers. The only good thing about MSU is that it is based in Lansing, so they have SOME connection with state government opportunities. Otherwise, the school sucks hard.
Oh stop it. Both you and Ashley are wrong. For people not interested in Chicago, MSU would be a solid option for the Midwest. Obviously, I mean solid only if you want to stay in the area and not just temporarily transplant there.

Now if you wanted to talk about MSU Athletics, as a fellow Big 10 alum, we could discuss that, but I think your assessment is just false. OP shouldn't go to MSU or Catholic for the reasons that he already mentioned, plus for the reasons that some people mentioned already.

I know someone that is from the Midwest, graduated from Cooley and works in the legal industry. She probably doesn't have what TLS would consider a solid job, but she's working for a nice company that made it possible for her to go from Chicago to NY.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

uvabro

Bronze

Post by uvabro » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:34 pm

sparty99 wrote:

stop being such a damn hata.

u go ashley. u sound like a young elle woods. just follow your heart and you'll be good.

remember heart always > logic especially in a field like law.

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:36 pm

uvabro wrote:
sparty99 wrote:

u go ashley. u sound like a young elle woods. just follow your heart and you'll be good.

TLS people wonder why they get no-offered, then you read TLS poster's comments and go "oh, it now all makes sense." :D

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:39 pm

Maryland and Rutgers are joining the big 10?

weak.

uvabro

Bronze

Post by uvabro » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:39 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
uvabro wrote:
sparty99 wrote:

TLS people wonder why they get no-offered, then you read TLS poster's comments and go "oh, it now all makes sense." :D
lol i love it. if i did get welfare id get welfare in style. all newport cigarettes and crack cocaine from a diamond studded pipe.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”