Full Ride to a Tier 2 School Worth It?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Renne Walker

Re: Full Ride to a Tier 2 School Worth It?

Postby Renne Walker » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:43 pm

Coveted wrote:I appreciate the advice. I am not one for the city and I am not interested in big law, as long as I have a salary capable of supporting a family.

If I can head into Rutgers with a decent scholly, minimizing debt, I feel like I would be better off than going somewhere like W&L or BC with a small scholly or at sticker.

My only other option would be to retake and go to one of my dream schools like UVA or Cornell.

After doing my research, it seems like the only logical thing to do would be to attend Rutgers with a scholly.

I have met a number of smart, enjoyable people with excellent grades from lesser-ranked schools enduring a difficult time (that is sugar coating it). Others from top ranked schools with BL already in their pocket are routinely turning down call-backs/offers. Just saying, making it through LS is only a part of the equation. Perhaps time to rethink.

$peppercorn

Postby $peppercorn » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:46 pm

It's threads like these that make me wish areyouinsane was still around...if only for more hilarious stories

Coveted

Postby Coveted » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:49 pm

Renne Walker wrote:
Coveted wrote:I appreciate the advice. I am not one for the city and I am not interested in big law, as long as I have a salary capable of supporting a family.

If I can head into Rutgers with a decent scholly, minimizing debt, I feel like I would be better off than going somewhere like W&L or BC with a small scholly or at sticker.

My only other option would be to retake and go to one of my dream schools like UVA or Cornell.

After doing my research, it seems like the only logical thing to do would be to attend Rutgers with a scholly.

I have met a number of smart, enjoyable people with excellent grades from lesser-ranked schools enduring a difficult time (that is sugar coating it). Others from top ranked schools with BL already in their pocket are routinely turning down call-backs/offers. Just saying, making it through LS is only a part of the equation. Perhaps time to rethink.

So you would still say no to bc and wl and would only settle for a school in the t14?

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:52 pm

If you are comfortable going to a lower school, then do it. If not, don't.

I took a full ride scholarship at a lower ranked school because it was the only school in the town I want to live and I liked the school. It's ranking didn't matter to me. I wouldn't, however, have gone based on job prospects if there were multiple higher ranked schools in the area.

And in regards to stipulations, you have much less control than you think you do. My scholarship is contingent on top third. I start finals tomorrow and, despite knowing I have put all the effort in I can, I have come to terms that I may not be in the top. It is very arbitrary. Just accept this going in. Personally, I knew this would be the case. I just countered it by deciding if I don't keep the scholarship, I will drop out.

Renne Walker

Postby Renne Walker » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:04 pm

Coveted wrote:
Renne Walker wrote:I have met a number of smart, enjoyable people with excellent grades from lesser-ranked schools enduring a difficult time (that is sugar coating it). Others from top ranked schools with BL already in their pocket are routinely turning down call-backs/offers. Just saying, making it through LS is only a part of the equation. Perhaps time to rethink.

So you would still say no to bc and wl and would only settle for a school in the t14?

I would say no. For others, I have no guidance, simply reporting what I am observing first hand.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:33 pm

polkij333 wrote:
Nova wrote:
nolongermissing wrote: lol fine. What should I do then?

Get a job and retake.

And, let me add, apply to schools in markets that aren't totally dominated by other, higher ranked, schools.

AbbeyRoadLaw

Postby AbbeyRoadLaw » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:02 pm

nolongermissing wrote:lol fine. What should I do then? I'm graduating from a Big 10 school with a double major in English and History and somewhere around a 3.33 GPA. Let's say studying law at St. John's doesn't yield any fruitful job opportunities, would sacrificing 3 years of my life learning about the law, metting people, experiencing New York really be that crippling of a career move?

If your goal is to "learn the law, meet people and experience NY," then go to the library, read some books and talk to randos on the subway. Dear lord...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”