Full Ride to a Tier 2 School Worth It?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rad lulz

Re: Full Ride to a Tier 2 School Worth It?

Postby rad lulz » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:06 pm

nolongermissing wrote:This doesn't really answer my question. If I do manage to be in the top 33%, am I in a good place?

rinkrat19: how do you figure 30k/year for living expenses?

Ability to get a job doesn't correlate perfectly to class rank, especially for non-biglaw jobs (and people from St. Johns largely aren't getting biglaw jerbz).

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:09 pm

Look, nolongermissing, you're not going to get any validation of a decision to go to St. John's here. People like you either stubbornly refuse to admit reality, or are eventually convinced by the overwhelming evidence that it's a terrible idea. (TLS honestly celebrates when someone is saved. It's like rescuing a drowning puppy.) Sometimes it takes DAYS, but it's 1L exam time and I don't have that kind of time.

nolongermissing

Postby nolongermissing » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:10 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
nolongermissing wrote:Yeah, but St. John's would be free for me. So that doesn't make sense
Not after you lose your scholarship after first year.

I understand the odds are against my favor when it comes to retaining the scholarship. Since I would have to maintain a top 40% status and all. But, let's just pretend for a second that I am, in fact, capable. Would you grant me your blessing to go study***** law in New York sans debt (cause I can afford COL without loans) and the 16.5% chance I could be making $84,000
Last edited by nolongermissing on Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:12 pm

nolongermissing wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
nolongermissing wrote:Yeah, but St. John's would be free for me. So that doesn't make sense

I understand the odds are against my favor when it comes to retaining the scholarship. Since I would have to maintain a top 40% status and all. But, let's just pretend for a second that I am, in fact, capable. Would you grant me your blessing to go practice law in New York sans debt (cause I can afford COL without loans) and the 16.5% chance I could be making $84,000

No.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:14 pm

nolongermissing wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

I understand the odds are against my favor when it comes to retaining the scholarship. Since I would have to maintain a top 40% status and all. But, let's just pretend for a second that I am, in fact, capable. Would you grant me your blessing to go practice law in New York sans debt (cause I can afford COL without loans) and the 16.5% chance I could be making $84,000
No. Better idea to retake the LSAT and/or get a solid scholarship to a regional school that ISN'T in a market totally dominated by far superior schools.

Coveted

Postby Coveted » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:15 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
nolongermissing wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

No. Better idea to retake the LSAT and/or get a solid scholarship to a regional school that ISN'T in a market totally dominated by far superior schools.

Would you consider Rutgers the main supplier for NJ? Or would you consider NJ over saturated by NY?

nolongermissing

Postby nolongermissing » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:16 pm

rad lulz wrote:
nolongermissing wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

No.

lol fine. What should I do then? I'm graduating from a Big 10 school with a double major in English and History and somewhere around a 3.33 GPA. Let's say studying law at St. John's doesn't yield any fruitful job opportunities, would sacrificing 3 years of my life learning about the law, metting people, experiencing New York really be that crippling of a career move?

nolongermissing

Postby nolongermissing » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:17 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
nolongermissing wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Alright, thanks fo the advice

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:17 pm

Coveted wrote:Would you consider Rutgers the main supplier for NJ? Or would you consider NJ over saturated by NY?
Ehhh...both? NJ is somewhat, but not entirely, insulated from the NYC market.

There are other people who know more about the NYC/NJ area than me, though.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:18 pm

nolongermissing wrote: lol fine. What should I do then?

Get a job and retake.

Coveted

Postby Coveted » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:22 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Coveted wrote:Would you consider Rutgers the main supplier for NJ? Or would you consider NJ over saturated by NY?

Yea I feel ya, that's why I still have my reservations as well.

jkpolk

Postby jkpolk » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:24 pm

Nova wrote:
nolongermissing wrote: lol fine. What should I do then?

Get a job and retake.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:25 pm

Coveted wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Yea I feel ya, that's why I still have my reservations as well.

Paging InGoodFaith

Postby 20130312 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:38 pm

lol these are personal details.

PM me for advice.
Last edited by 20130312 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Coveted

Postby Coveted » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:45 pm

Would you have done the same with a 15k scholarship? Or would you at least recommend it to someone else?

Again, commuting from home, instate tuition?

Postby 20130312 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:50 pm

Might as well edit this one too.
Last edited by 20130312 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Coveted

Postby Coveted » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:03 pm

I appreciate the advice. I am not one for the city and I am not interested in big law, as long as I have a salary capable of supporting a family.

If I can head into Rutgers with a decent scholly, minimizing debt, I feel like I would be better off than going somewhere like W&L or BC with a small scholly or at sticker.

My only other option would be to retake and go to one of my dream schools like UVA or Cornell.

After doing my research, it seems like the only logical thing to do would be to attend Rutgers with a scholly.

TheZoid

Postby TheZoid » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:17 pm

nolongermissing wrote:
Nova wrote:Are these your stttips?

St. John's: top 40% to keep full; top 55% to keep 75%; top 65% to keep 55%. Bottom third loses scholly.

If so, dont go unless you have them removed. Theres a 1/3 chance youll be paying sticker for years 2 and 3, and that would REALLY suck.

Yeah, but I am confident that I can satisfy the stipulations

No offense, but you are 3.1/161, what makes you so confident that you will beat out most of your classmates?

ETA: a 16.5% chance of a decent job is not a good chance.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:36 pm

nolongermissing wrote:lol fine. What should I do then? I'm graduating from a Big 10 school with a double major in English and History and somewhere around a 3.33 GPA. Let's say studying law at St. John's doesn't yield any fruitful job opportunities, would sacrificing 3 years of my life learning about the law, metting people, experiencing New York really be that crippling of a career move?

You won't just be meeting people (?!) and experiencing New York. You'll probably be incurring 6-figure debt. Debt is not an abstract concept. It means that every paycheck you earn for a very long time is significantly smaller. So unless you can count on some big paychecks, it's not a risk to take.

You don't know how you'll rank in the class. You really, really don't. I promise.

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:13 pm

nolongermissing wrote:lol fine. What should I do then? I'm graduating from a Big 10 school with a double major in English and History and somewhere around a 3.33 GPA. Let's say studying law at St. John's doesn't yield any fruitful job opportunities, would sacrificing 3 years of my life learning about the law, metting people, experiencing New York really be that crippling of a career move?

Yes, because in addition to sacrificing three years of your life and incurring a large amount of debt, you're making it harder to start a career in any other field. Employers are going to wonder 1) if you're going to leave their business to become a lawyer since that's what you really want to do and 2) if you wanted to be a lawyer enough to go to law school, why did you fail at that? What does that say about you as a potential employee?

And do not dismiss people when they tell you not to base your decision on the assumption that you'll be one of the lucky ones who graduates from St. John's with a job that allows you to pay off your debts. Everyone who enrolls there assumes this. Most of them will be wrong. I don't care how many people told you that you're good at arguing, you are not a special snowflake.

To answer your question of what you should do, retake the LSAT and get a high enough score to get into a law school that gives you at least a reasonable chance at becoming a lawyer.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:25 pm

I always tell 0L's the same story when I see things like "I KNOW I will be top x%":

In the summer between UG and LS my girlfriend told her mom its really difficult to find a good job or make a lot of money as an attorney if you're not top 10%/LR after your first year. Her mom responded "Well, I know MY girl is really smart and she will definitely be top 10%". I responded with "Thats nice, I'm sure all the other mothers say the exact same thing about their kids. 90% will be wrong though."

Get it through your head: No matter how smart you think you are, no matter how brilliant your legal analysis will be, no matter what you do, how many hours you prepare, or how you think you're the special snowflake that will not be affected by sleep deprivation and burnout you CANNOT (say it with me: CANNOT) guarantee ANY ranking, not even median. When all the journal rosters come out you're gonna be shocked by who made it and more importantly who DIDN'T make it.

saintsfan200

Postby saintsfan200 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:10 pm

If dropping out after your first year, if you don't do well, is an acceptable outcome, then I don't see a problem with T2 and full ride.

ddacey

Postby ddacey » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:15 pm

If you really want to go, why not try to get the stipulations removed. Try to put yourself in the best possible position to succeed.

But I think the consensus is right.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:39 pm

You don't "meet people" in law school. Everyone else is in the same boat as you- hustling and striving to be employed coming out of the law school. Experiencing New York (lived there for four years) is overrated. It's a big city, like lots of other big cities, although safer than a lot of them.

That three years could be put towards an alternative job track or career that, while maybe not "prestigious" to the folks back home, might eventually lead to better possibilities. You can read about the law on your own time.

Tuco Salamanca

Postby Tuco Salamanca » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:50 pm

It sounds like you're going to go regardless, so just take this advice: if you lose your scholarship, drop out.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”