Michigan vs. Duke vs. UVA

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BBALLGIRL071

Michigan vs. Duke vs. UVA

Postby BBALLGIRL071 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:16 pm

Just wondering everyone's thoughts... I've been admitted to all three and will probably make my decision on where to attend after I visit. If we remove cost from the equation (including scholarships, grants, total cost of attendance, etc.) which school do you think would be the best choice? I'm thinking about things like:

1) Least competitive/most friendly student body (which I realize may be two separate things)
2) Best prospects for 2L SA positions
3) Best academics
4) Best quality of life

dsn32

Re: Michigan vs. Duke vs. UVA

Postby dsn32 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:36 pm

BBALLGIRL071 wrote:Just wondering everyone's thoughts... I've been admitted to all three and will probably make my decision on where to attend after I visit. If we remove cost from the equation (including scholarships, grants, total cost of attendance, etc.) which school do you think would be the best choice? I'm thinking about things like:

1) Least competitive/most friendly student body (which I realize may be two separate things)
3) Best academics
4) Best quality of life

Entirely depends on type of person you are and where you want to end up working. I'm a UMich UG who has visited both UM and UVA, and personally I preferred UVA as a school more than UM, but UM more in most other categories (campus, in Detroit metro area, things to do in the surrounding area, etc). It's tough to gauge student body off of your tour guide, though FWIW my UVA tour guide was awesome. UM ones were what I expected, but not exactly people I could see myself going to grab a beer with or headed to the Big House with on Saturday morning.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:48 pm

BBALLGIRL071 wrote:Just wondering everyone's thoughts... I've been admitted to all three and will probably make my decision on where to attend after I visit. If we remove cost from the equation (including scholarships, grants, total cost of attendance, etc.) which school do you think would be the best choice? I'm thinking about things like:

3) Best academics
4) Best quality of life

1) i think they're all probably pretty friendly. I know UM is known for that, though
2) I'd probably look to overall employment stats for this. UVA and Duke are ahead of UM on this, in my opinion. But UVA employs nearly 20% of its students after graduation...which is scary
3) i'm not sure what you mean by this
4) Charlottesville and Durham are pretty cheap and they're warm. I hear Ann Arbor is really cool but bone-chillingly cold. (That's not exactly shocking, i know). Ann arbor has a lot of cool shops and places to hang out

dsn32

Postby dsn32 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:45 pm

mr.hands wrote:

3) Best academics
4) Best quality of life

1) i think they're all probably pretty friendly. I know UM is known for that, though
2) I'd probably look to overall employment stats for this. UVA and Duke are ahead of UM on this, in my opinion. But UVA employs nearly 20% of its students after graduation...which is scary
3) i'm not sure what you mean by this
4) Charlottesville and Durham are pretty cheap and they're warm. I hear Ann Arbor is really cool but bone-chillingly cold. (That's not exactly shocking, i know). Ann arbor has a lot of cool shops and places to hang out

I'll add that UVA and Duke do appear to be ahead of UM in terms of 2L SA stuff, assuming you aren't from Michigan already. In-state kids have a great option of committing to stay in the area because they A) go to the best school in the state, and B) have mad ties. It's all about dem ties for secondary markets.

And it's fairly cold here in A2. January and February can be rough, but it isn't awful outside of that. It has been between 30-55 degrees F all week here, although 55 is very high end for December. Generally between 30-40 with some wind.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”