If your scores are less than 3.0 and 160 you have no chance

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
seancris

Re: If your scores are less than 3.0 and 160 you have no chance

Postby seancris » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:14 pm

timbs4339 wrote:You can't "hustle" a job that doesn't exist. What about "there are no jobs" do people still not understand?

Most T1 schools have employment full-time JD required employment numbers slightly above 50%. So there's clearly tight competition for jobs, but the jobs exist.

I'm just curious about what the poster thinks provides an advantage.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:33 pm

seancris wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:You can't "hustle" a job that doesn't exist. What about "there are no jobs" do people still not understand?

Most T1 schools have employment full-time JD required employment numbers slightly above 50%. So there's clearly tight competition for jobs, but the jobs exist.

I'm just curious about what the poster thinks provides an advantage.

$250k of debt can be quite motivational, I guess

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:49 pm

seancris wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:
dingbat wrote:
This isn't where I was going. To rephrase, are there enough jobs in Pittsburgh to employ the majority of people at both schools, or is it more like jersey where none of the schools are a good idea because there's a significantly greater number of law school grads compared to the number of jobs?

Hard to say. If we're talking "majority" as in more than 50% then yeah, I am confident that a median student who was willing to hustle would get a job at either school here. Would bottom 25% be getting a job comfortably? Probably not. If I wanted to stay here (I dont) I would have multiple options for employment at graduation (NOT good paying by any means, but legit jobs nevertheless).

Curious what your definition of "hustling" entails. What should a median student do to improve his/her chances of employment in your market?

Doing anything to better your chances. I know people at my school that take their 14 credits worth of classroom classes and go home and play video games. Thats nice and all, but unless you have an offer in hand that wont work. You need to do informational interviews, network through professors and anyone else you may know, do clinics and practicums to not only gain hands on experience but build your contact list and possibly gain another employment opportunity from it (one of my practicums turned into an offer), do MC and/or MT, do any journal you can get on, do fellowships. Basically, make sure your resume isn't 2 summer jobs and nothing else. The competition is insane, and someone with median grades, minimum contacts and no real other experience is basically dead minus some extremely lucky scenarios. If you do everything I have listen you may very well be unemployed anyway, but at least you're giving yourself a competitive advantage over the other median students. A lot of people think once 1L is over and OCI is behind them they can relax and do nothing. Unless you have an offer in hand this may be the worst thing you can possibly do. Load up your resume with anything and everything, network your ass off, and at the end of the day even if you come away with nothing at least you can say you gave it your best shot while potentially positioning yourself for a better chance down the road.

Its simple math that roughly 40% of law grads wont have jobs coming out of school, why int he world WOULDN'T you do everything in your power to at least try and separate yourself from the competition instead of relaxing during 2L/3L?

bdm261

Postby bdm261 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:33 am

dingbat wrote:Before you ask, with such a low score you will not get a scholarship anywhere and the only schools that will accept you have such abysmal employment prospects that you will fuck up your life by paying to attend. So don't ask.

Well if I learned anything from the LSAT it's to recognize the difference between "and" and "or."

What if you have one but not the other?

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:52 am

bdm261 wrote:
dingbat wrote:Before you ask, with such a low score you will not get a scholarship anywhere and the only schools that will accept you have such abysmal employment prospects that you will fuck up your life by paying to attend. So don't ask.

Well if I learned anything from the LSAT it's to recognize the difference between "and" and "or."

Depends on what you have. If you're sitting with a 2.9 and 171 LSAT you'll be fine. Likewise a 3.9, 159. If you're a 2.5/161 applicant retake is TCR unless you wanna go the alternate route I suggested (which again, is a last resort assuming you meet all the factors).

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:58 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
bdm261 wrote:

Depends on what you have. If you're sitting with a 2.9 and 171 LSAT you'll be fine. Likewise a 3.9, 159. If you're a 2.5/161 applicant retake is TCR unless you wanna go the alternate route I suggested (which again, is a last resort assuming your alternative is to become a hobo).
ftfy

Return to “Choosing a Law School”