Michigan at sticker? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
patspats

New

Michigan at sticker?

Post by patspats » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:54 pm

180 total. It seems stupid now but I ED'd thinking I wouldn't get in. I just graduated undergrad with a 45k job and my thinking is I'd try to defer admission a year and go next year. Worth sticker?

side note: i know mean people say it doesn't matter, but I was barely in at Michigan so I feel like its going to be a uphill battle, slightly factors into my decision making.
Last edited by patspats on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KirkwoodGAO

New

Re: Michigan at sticker?

Post by KirkwoodGAO » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:04 pm

Last edited by KirkwoodGAO on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:10 pm

Depends on whether you like the 45K job and believe you will continue to enjoy it. Deferring might be a great idea, but even if you take the job out of the equation, UM at sticker is a rational decision all day.

cahwc12

Silver

Post by cahwc12 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:39 pm

justonemoregame wrote:Depends on whether you like the 45K job and believe you will continue to enjoy it. Deferring might be a great idea, but even if you take the job out of the equation, UM at sticker is a rational decision all day.
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=michigan

$250,000 for a 75% chance at a job requiring a JD is not a no-brainer, at least to me.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:19 pm

I wouldn't.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:27 pm

rad lulz wrote:I wouldn't.
+1. Absolutely not.

NoJob

Bronze

Post by NoJob » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:57 pm

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Their not giving money means you are a below average applicant which means that you will likely be in the bottom of your class. As such, your post-MI career will involve a stint on the Detroit doc review circuit with the Cooley grads.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:03 pm

NoJob wrote:Their not giving money means you are a below average applicant which means that you will likely be in the bottom of your class.
wut.

guinness1547

Silver

Post by guinness1547 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:11 pm

NoJob wrote:NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Their not giving money means you are a below average applicant which means that you will likely be in the bottom of your class. As such, your post-MI career will involve a stint on the Detroit doc review circuit with the Cooley grads.
Possibly the right advice but terrible reasoning.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gator_Law

New

Post by Gator_Law » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:33 pm

What is your next best option? It's not a terrible idea to go to UM but that is a lot of pressure (financially and emotionally) to put on yourself.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:56 pm

Friend just graduated from MI at sticker. It's more debt than is reasonable even if you're making 160k. But being near median after 1L, he was lucky to get half that in the secondary market he's from. Debt pwned.

Don't do it.

jenesaislaw

Silver

Post by jenesaislaw » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:05 pm

Where did you get 180 from for total cost?

cinnamonchurros

New

Post by cinnamonchurros » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:09 pm

I think Michigan at sticker is a highly rational choice unless one is highly debt-averse. Even if you don't get BigLaw, they have a good LRAP to help you out with loans. It all depends on the person.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:19 pm

I'd take Michigan at sticker but if you like the 45K a year job you may consider working and either A.) Retaking or B.) Saving some of your cash for a year or two to dump into your tuition.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:34 pm

cinnamonchurros wrote:I think Michigan at sticker is a highly rational choice unless one is highly debt-averse. Even if you don't get BigLaw, they have a good LRAP to help you out with loans. It all depends on the person.
"Highly rational" is going a bit far. Taking out 200k in debt with only a 50-60% chance of being able to service it is gambling.

LRAP isn't the answer. It's no way to live. If OP doesn't get biglaw, his options (in hindsight) were 1)45-50k job with 200k in debt to service, or 2) his 45k job without the debt, plus 3 years of earnings.

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:20 pm

lolno

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:14 pm

no

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

patspats

New

Post by patspats » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:29 am

what is everyones throught on going a year, seeing how i rank, and then possibly dropping out if im outside of bigllaw range?

hedge my bet

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:35 am

patspats wrote:what is everyones throught on going a year, seeing how i rank, and then possibly dropping out if im outside of bigllaw range?

hedge my bet
Thanks to foot in the door phenomenon, you probably won't have the stones to.

Gator_Law

New

Post by Gator_Law » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:33 pm

patspats wrote:what is everyones throught on going a year, seeing how i rank, and then possibly dropping out if im outside of bigllaw range?

hedge my bet
No offense but just the fact that you would think about doing that shows you shouldn't go to law school.

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:15 pm

guinness1547 wrote:

Possibly the right advice but terrible reasoning.
This.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cahwc12

Silver

Post by cahwc12 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:11 pm

Gator_Law wrote:

hedge my bet
No offense but just the fact that you would think about doing that shows you shouldn't go to law school.
???

That's a great idea for anyone to do. The only thing worse than paying $250,000 to go to law school is knowing after your 1L grades that you have no shot at biglaw and "sticking it out" 2 more years when you could have only had $70k in debt.

A friend of mine actually did this at UT and left after 1L because he had a 3.0 and had no shot at the jobs he was looking for. He cut his losses and left with $40k in debt. Would you rather he have finished school with that 3.0, be out of the running for biglaw, clerkships and the like, struggle to find anything resembling a worthwhile legal job, and then wallow in $180k of non-dischargable debt?

Real Madrid

Silver

Post by Real Madrid » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:00 pm

cahwc12 wrote:
Gator_Law wrote:

hedge my bet
???

That's a great idea for anyone to do. The only thing worse than paying $250,000 to go to law school is knowing after your 1L grades that you have no shot at biglaw and "sticking it out" 2 more years when you could have only had $70k in debt.

A friend of mine actually did this at UT and left after 1L because he had a 3.0 and had no shot at the jobs he was looking for. He cut his losses and left with $40k in debt. Would you rather he have finished school with that 3.0, be out of the running for biglaw, clerkships and the like, struggle to find anything resembling a worthwhile legal job, and then wallow in $180k of non-dischargable debt?
There's nothing wrong with dropping out if you legitimately have no chance at a job that will pay back your loans. But, as mentioned earlier, it's much easier to say you're going to do that before you start than to actually do it once you're in that position.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:00 pm

cahwc12 wrote: A friend of mine actually did this at UT and left after 1L because he had a 3.0 and had no shot at the jobs he was looking for. He cut his losses and left with $40k in debt. Would you rather he have finished school with that 3.0, be out of the running for biglaw, clerkships and the like, struggle to find anything resembling a worthwhile legal job, and then wallow in $180k of non-dischargable debt?
How does 40k turn into 180k

I would pay for UT at sticker in-state and so I would presumably pay for Mich at sticker in-state.

But I also don't currently have a job that pays 45k so I didn't factor that in.

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:25 pm

sinfiery wrote:I would pay for UT at sticker in-state and so I would presumably pay for Mich at sticker in-state.
The difference in cost between Michigan in-state vs. out of state is actually only about $3000 a year/$9000 over four years, so I don't think it would make much of a difference (I mean, I know $9000 is a lot of money, but it's not a substantial impact on the tuition)... But for UT it's about a $16,000 a year difference! University of Florida is nearly a $20,000 difference per year. I wonder what's up with Michigan's in-state tuition?

ETA: UVA also has a relatively small difference at $5000 per year.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”